Sponsored by:

Less tech and more HP please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less tech and more HP please!!

Dont' get me wrong but I love the car and what we know about it so far but is seems like they should have packed in a little more HP. I read yesterday that the Mustang is coming out with an 850 HP version and it just seems like anything sub 550 HP (for example) is just lacking. I know we dont know final numbers and all but its hard to get excited when I hear about the HP.

Thoughts???
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 1RedVettFor2
Dont' get me wrong but I love the car and what we know about it so far but is seems like they should have packed in a little more HP. I read yesterday that the Mustang is coming out with an 850 HP version and it just seems like anything sub 550 HP (for example) is just lacking. I know we dont know final numbers and all but its hard to get excited when I hear about the HP.

Thoughts???
Oh, is this Mustang the base? Uh no. Is this Corvette the base model, uh yea.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

is that the one-off carroll shelby car?

one wonders how you get 850hp to the ground effectively in a rear-drive car.

and its not something that you will be able to buy in a showroom and if you want that much hp in a vette, i suspect a custom twin turbo or a modified zr1 could get you there.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thoughts???
My thought is that the Car and Driver Lightning Lap just proved that even Mustang's vast hp/weight advantage can't beat either the ZL1's or the SS1LE's time.

To be clear, the Mustang's published time was better than the SS1LE by 1 second but C&D openly admitted they screwed up a shift or the SS1LE would have done a sub-three minute time, beating the Mustang's time even with a 236 hp disadvantage.

BTW, don't forget there is a 1000 hp Mustang out there already!
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/27/s...ew-york-debut/
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Not again...do we have to keep going over this?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

For sure, the Corvette should now come with 851 horsepower. That will show Ford since this is apparently a measuring contest with numbers!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

It should be 1,001hp at 53k. GM is le dumb.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I think the 45/450 in the base C7 will be good enough for most people, But not for me. I am sure the HI PO model will have well over 500hp. The team working on the C7 understands they have to keep up with the HP wars. Hell My V has close to 600 flywheel hp and close to 600tq with minor mods. I love the feeling it gives me when I push the gas. It kicks my GS ***..lol..I Could only imagine these HP/TQ numbers in the new C7.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

The ZR1 should have 1,000,000 hp. Any less and it's DOOMED!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree with the OP. 450 HP and a 4 second 0-60 with a 12 second range quarter is just not competitive any more. We'll see when the production car comes out though ... Yes more to the Vette than straight line speed but 95% of owners never road track their cars ( I however did ) and want paper bragging rights. Bull**** like that sells cars.

Last edited by BrooklynC6; 01-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thoughts???
My thinking is that you can build a Corvette, or any vehicle for that matter, with as much horsepower as you can afford. It is quite another matter to mass produce, warrant and liability insure such a beast. Each has their place, and you should do whatever you want and have the $$$ to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Good grief people why all the hate and bad additude????????????????????????????

Oh and thank you Ox for the mature and informative reply....that was more what I was looking for.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
I agree with the OP. 450 HP and a 4 second 0-60 with a 12 second range quarter is just not competitive any more. We'll see when the production car comes out though ... Yes more to the Vette than straight line speed but 95% of owners never road track their cars ( I however did ) and want paper bragging rights. Bull**** like that sells cars.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Oh and thank you Ox for the mature and informative reply....that was more what I was looking for.
Ive come to realize that many people will blindly follow model or brand loyalty. I've driven GM sports cars for the past decade - Two C5's, the 1st gen CTS-V , XLR-V , two C6's and now the new CTS-V and some have been great, some have been horrid but none have been perfect.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think HP has it's place of course but as we have seen, there is a LOT more to making a great car and that includes on the street also. It is clear from many tests that have been done with the Mustang GT500 that choices about weight, balance, tires, etc are critical issues also. The Camaro may be a pig but it is pretty dam good pig!

Ultimately, if all you want is a drag car, go for the Mustang.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

As a Corvette fan and I have been in them more years then I want to admit don't understand the constant comparing the Corvette to the Mustang. I don't care if the Mustang is cranking out 1,000 HP, these are two totally different cars.

I do however agree with the OP, that if GM want the Corvette to be taking seriously in the world arena they need to bring their A game.

I compare the Corvette with the Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the Lamborghini and the 450 hp is not going to get the job done. I realize that there will be a performance model some time down the road be it a Z06, ZR1 or what ever they want to call it, but it need to be sooner then later.

All the glitz and glamor with the fancy dash board display will not get you world recognition as a top world class sports car. It takes Horsepower to do that.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

This whole experience of the C7 debut only this forum only reinforces how disconnected I am from much of the Corvette community. I try to talk to guys at the museum and at carlisle but it's very much like most of these people...out in lah lah land.

Get notified of new replies

To Less tech and more HP please!!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BWF07
As a Corvette fan and I have been in them more years then I want to admit don't understand the constant comparing the Corvette to the Mustang. I don't care if the Mustang is cranking out 1,000 HP, these are two totally different cars.

I do however agree with the OP, that if GM want the Corvette to be taking seriously in the world arena they need to bring their A game.

I compare the Corvette with the Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the Lamborghini and the 450 hp is not going to get the job done. I realize that there will be a performance model some time down the road be it a Z06, ZR1 or what ever they want to call it, but it need to be sooner then later.

All the glitz and glamor with the fancy dash board display will not get you world recognition as a top world class sports car. It takes Horsepower to do that.
Sorry, could you post tested times of this C7 that you are claiming is going to get it's *** kicked against cars up to 5 times it's price?
The underpowered ZL1 Camaro kicks the big HP GT500 after the first lap in those verified tests that have been posted.

Last edited by Racer; 01-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

What is the obsession with horsepower numbers? Take any other American car , yup that pony thing too, put them on a road course and see who gets there first. Tag has already said the new C7 is quicker then the C6 GS.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Jai 302
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BWF07

So it's wrong to compare a 55k car to a 55k car but perfectly normal to compare it to cars that cost 300k. Sure why not

A lowly Mustang can never be in the class of a Corvette but a Vanquish, Aventador and 458 Italia surely can. Nice.

Quick Reply: Less tech and more HP please!!