Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette on a Budget

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette on a Budget

Ok, This is my first Vette and Im as proud as a new Papa, but I dont make a million $ an hour so what I would like to see here is ideas or mods that would be affordable to the everyday Joe like myself.
I AM a Vette Newbie and Im sure there are alot of other Vette Newbies that would really appreciate any ideas ya all can give us!!
Remember Please, CORVETTE ON A BUDGET!
Thanx !!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
hockeyspokes
Racer

Check out the DIY thread.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

first an formost, fill out your profile so everyone knows what your driving and mods you may have.

paint your calipers and hats, you'll need a couple of cans of brake clean, a small can of rustoluem paint, your choice of color and some foam brushes. Maybe $15 worth of supplies at your local walley world.

If you don't mind cutting up your car this has been somewhat effective for some members

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-write-up.html

Clean and polish the entire car.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

Some details on the car would help. Looks like an early C5. Description, condition, how's it run, any known problems, etc....

"How do I mod it" is like asking how do I change the world without knowing what's working in it (not much. ;-( ) and what's not. No real good answers.

Also, what are you looking for? Me? I just bought a stock '03 6M and that's probably how it will stay.

Need to know what you're starting with and what your expectations are.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Originally Posted by calvins
Some details on the car would help. Looks like an early C5. Description, condition, how's it run, any known problems, etc....

"How do I mod it" is like asking how do I change the world without knowing what's working in it (not much. ;-( ) and what's not. No real good answers.

Also, what are you looking for? Me? I just bought a stock '03 6M and that's probably how it will stay.

Need to know what you're starting with and what your expectations are.
Im starting with a totally stock 98 C5. (pictured) my thoughts of improvement (for my own Vette) are maybe a K&N Air Filter & some other little items like better spark plugs/wires etc. for now. Im just not sure what works the best so Im asking you guys that have been around Vettes for a while for the best advice on everything while keeping it simple & affordable. Basically, the best CHEAP or FREE mods that a person could do to his or her own Vette to make it better.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

I did find a thread on an Exhaust Mod that was really cool.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,205 Likes on 13,922 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Check out the C5 Parts for Sale section for some good used upgrades. Consider something like a Blackwing intake, used catback exhaust, different wheels, etc. Painting the calipers like mentioned above is a cheap way to make an appearance upgrade.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Originally Posted by yaknow
first an formost, fill out your profile so everyone knows what your driving and mods you may have.

paint your calipers and hats, you'll need a couple of cans of brake clean, a small can of rustoluem paint, your choice of color and some foam brushes. Maybe $15 worth of supplies at your local walley world.

If you don't mind cutting up your car this has been somewhat effective for some members

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-write-up.html

Clean and polish the entire car.
Ty Yaknow, I did consider painting the Calipers. the covers at $300 a set looked cool, but I was told they are junk.
I may just invest the $15 in some paint and paint the calipers myself.
That sounds like a Mod/upgrade I can do myself and would be very affordable.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzysezit
Im starting with a totally stock 98 C5. (pictured) my thoughts of improvement (for my own Vette) are maybe a K&N Air Filter & some other little items like better spark plugs/wires etc. for now. Im just not sure what works the best so Im asking you guys that have been around Vettes for a while for the best advice on everything while keeping it simple & affordable. Basically, the best CHEAP or FREE mods that a person could do to his or her own Vette to make it better.
If you are looking for cheap then dont go K&N, do the zip-tie mod with a new stock filter and call it a day.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-p...p-tie-mod.html

Also check out the Anti-venom mod to improve your shifter feel. Will cost you a few cents for a washer. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...procedure.html
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

GM performance plugs and wires work well. Check with Gene at GM Parts House. Fix the seat rock. Easy to do. Check the stickies. Re-solder the HVAC if you have the automatic one. There is a good thread on that on here. I totally removed my interior and cleaned every thing. It looks like new now with that and new seat covers. LLoyds Mats are a nice addition. All this stuff is not much money except the seat covers. You can save money if you need those by not getting the reproductions. There are some nice 2 tone ones for a lot less. Make sure it has a CLB. If not do that before you get stranded some where. I wish I had listened to that advise. Main thing is drive it and enjoy it!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I did find a thread on an Exhaust Mod that was really cool.
That was probably for the C6. At least if it's the one I know of. The one where you drill holes? Totally different mufflers.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on the new car !

Consider doing some of your own maintenance.

I have a bunch of how to's on my web site.

www.ToqueZ06.com

Toque
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Basically, the best CHEAP or FREE mods that a person could do to his or her own Vette to make it better.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...elf-stuff.html

Grats on your Vette!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You want to keep the car on a budget, two things.

1: Always investigate here before buying ANYTHING for the car. There are some incredible deals to be had if you know where to ask. New or used.

2: NEVER take the car to a dealer.

There you go, you can afford the car.

Keep in mind the used parts section here. Plenty of 1st quality stuff for sale for no reason other than someone else wanted something else.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
c5chines
Racer

If you need to replace the tires,go with non runflats and you will get an immediate better and quieter ride.I resisted the mod bug on mine as best I could,because the basic car is extremely capable bone stock.I did a cat back and zip tie along with tires.It's nice to have a car that doesn't fight you every time you want to drive it.With mods,there is always give and take but to each their own.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bang for the buck mods:

Vararam Intake (+30 hp ~$250)

C6 Shifter assembly

Mail Order Tune (+15hp ~ $200)

C6 Z51 Swaybars and poly bushing(for a 98 the end links should be replaced as well)

Bilstein Shocks

XSpower Long Tube Headers (+30 hp ~ $800)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Best bang for the buck mods:

Vararam Intake (+30 hp ~$250)

C6 Shifter assembly

Mail Order Tune (+15hp ~ $200)

C6 Z51 Swaybars and poly bushing(for a 98 the end links should be replaced as well)

Bilstein Shocks

XSpower Long Tube Headers (+30 hp ~ $800)
Please dont encourage the "+X HP" math...its just silly. Are you honestly suggesting you gain 75hp from CAI, LTs and tune?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette on a Budget

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Please dont encourage the "+X HP" math...its just silly. Are you honestly suggesting you gain 75hp from CAI, LTs and tune?
You're right. I was just posting the claimed gains but regardless of the actual combined increase, those mods will add a lot of horsepower. Those 3 alone usually bring up the trap speed of a stock C5 by over 4mph(which is about 45 hp)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, This is my first Vette and Im as proud as a new Papa, but I dont make a million $ an hour so what I would like to see here is ideas or mods that would be affordable to the everyday Joe like myself.
I AM a Vette Newbie and Im sure there are alot of other Vette Newbies that would really appreciate any ideas ya all can give us!!
Remember Please, CORVETTE ON A BUDGET!
Thanx !!
What? We now let the "everyday Joe's" that don't make a million an hour on the forum?

I can’t help you other then give your post a bump. I’m a Corvette purist no mods other then I did get a Travel Buddy Cup Holder from CCA.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyspokes
Check out the DIY thread.

I'm with you, I live comfortably. The DIY thread and advice from forum members has saved me a lot of $. Asides from sensors and CPU, the vette is actually a fairly easy vehicle to maintain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette on a Budget