Sponsored by:

My new project

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
my_z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new project

Hey all,

Got me a new project/toy yesterday, wanted to share and get some tips...

Well, it's a diamond in rough, 1968 C3 Convertible in somewhat decent condition. Just got fresh 383 stroker, new clutch, radiator, starter, & master cylinder. I was told it just came out of storage after 20 years, and that the previous owner wanted to replicate the L88 racing Corvette, so there're lots or mods (which is somewhat bad).

My to-do list is as follows:
  1. Tires (seems to be over 20yo)
  2. Lights/vacuum
  3. Interior-
    • weatherstrips
    • carpet
    • upholstery
    • dash lights
    • get some missing pieces (need to make a list)
  4. Exterior-
    • get some missing pieces (front bumper, fuel cap door)
    • paint
    • probably new top (didn't check it yet)

I was hoping you can help prioritizing my to-do list, please feel free to add your own in case something is missing. Once done, it would be great if you can point me in the right direction to get those missing parts. I looked a bit at eBay and Craigslist, found some, but prefer to get your 2c before starting my shopping spree.

Here's some pics to feast your eyes:

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

You should put paint as number one thing to do.
All kidding aside, your list is a good one, and that car will be awesome when done. Nothing like a bb vert!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get some driving time in. Cool!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

oh my burning eyes....

no seriously

paint, not that there's anything wrong with pink

Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting combination of wide body front clip with flares on the rear.

A lavender Corvette is kinda like "A boy named Sue". Better be pretty mean to get respect.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 AM
my_z
Advanced

Come on, it's purple!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
Interesting combination of wide body front clip with flares on the rear.
The SCCA had a rule back in the day that flares couldn't go into the door, so that was quite common. The first thing I'd do is check for a roll bar and document any other mods you find. You may have a more interesting car than you know.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They painted the front bumper ?!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't rush to paint this car just yet. Despite the incredibly ludicrous color it's painted, that's the last thing you should do.

If you don't have one yet, get an AIM, or Assembly Manual, a FSM or Factory Service Manual, Chassis Overhaul manual (detailed teardown of individual components) and the owners manual. The first two are indispensable and it's difficult to work without either one or better yet both!

Next, you want to approach this in an organized matter. Get a fresh pad of paper and devote the first three pages for 'To-Do', leave a couple of blank pages (tell me how I know...) and then dedicate three pages for 'To Get'.

If you're working on this yourself, take lots of pictures as you disassemble anything! You'd be surprised at how many ways some of this stuff can still go together and be wrong doing it! Bag and Tag everything you remove. I use 3x5 paper index cards, because they're sturdy and won't fold or self-mutilate as easily (if ever, they're pretty tough!).

Have a place to store the reciepts as you get parts and speaking of parts, some of the suppliers, like Paragon offer a discount to people buying a whole lot of Corvette parts. If you spend $500 on the first order, you get a 10% to 15% discount on many of the subsequent parts that you may need (as long as you order within a three month period). I wish I would've known this beforehand.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
my_z
Advanced

Thanks F22, notes taken and much appreciated!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
my_z
Advanced

First I would like to say THANKS ALL, missed couple of tips there when saw F22's response.

Now, first issue, YAY. When waking her up this morning, throttle pedal went down all the way and didn't came back . Looking into it I saw that the cable ripped just of the carburetor. To simplify things, I was thinking to stop at the bicycle shop across the street from my work and pick-up couple of bike brakes/gears cables. Anything wrong with that?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OUCH! The word "simplfy" and Corvette don't mix. Bike parts won't do the job, you need to order up a replacement part specific to your year. With C3's, if you really want to enjoy the experience of owning and driving one you have to give it all the TLC it demands and at times you have to step-up and spend the dollars to fix things right. Otherwise they'll keep haunting you. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by my_z
First I would like to say THANKS ALL, missed couple of tips there when saw F22's response.

Now, first issue, YAY. When waking her up this morning, throttle pedal went down all the way and didn't came back . Looking into it I saw that the cable ripped just of the carburetor. To simplify things, I was thinking to stop at the bicycle shop across the street from my work and pick-up couple of bike brakes/gears cables. Anything wrong with that?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by my_z

If your name was bubba that would work.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool car! You were told correctly. Don't worry about the paint, as getting the mechanical things done first is the only way to go. Paint it now, and then scratch and ding it all up getting the mechanical part of it done. Leave it to the "bone-heads" to throw stones. Ask them f/ a donation to get it painted or just be quiet. Best of luck w/ the car. And again, ignore the "bone-heads."
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by texas jim
Cool car! You were told correctly. Don't worry about the paint, as getting the mechanical things done first is the only way to go. Paint it now, and then scratch and ding it all up getting the mechanical part of it done. Leave it to the "bone-heads" to throw stones. Ask them f/ a donation to get it painted or just be quiet. Best of luck w/ the car. And again, ignore the "bone-heads."
hey, on the way into the thread tripped over a lost sense of humor - it must be yours, perhaps you could be a bit less careless with it when entering? I almost stubbed my toe on it, and everyone knows that insurance companies don't pay squat for those types of claims....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My eyes, my eyes!..............
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
hey, on the way into the thread tripped over a lost sense of humor - it must be yours, perhaps you could be a bit less careless with it when entering? I almost stubbed my toe on it, and everyone knows that insurance companies don't pay squat for those types of claims....
Coming from the guy who's defending his poor/lame sense of humor, I'm not surprised you don't understand. I'm saying that this guy was most likely looking f/ some intelligent automotive input and showing the guys his new project. I doubt he posted up the pics so that people could take turns poking fun at what he bought. F22 hit it right on the head; good sound advice, some very useful info. Your kind of thing is great in it's rightful place, maybe back in grade school, but not here. Only my opinion. : )

Get notified of new replies

To My new project

Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Looks like a great starter Vette!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Looks like a nice project! Keep looking at the "C3 parts for sale" section on this forum as well as Craigslist and EBay, etc. especially since some '68 parts are one-year only - you will need to jump on some as soon as they're posted. Focus on the safety issues first then cosmestics.

Keep us updated with pics as you move along.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
straitjacket
Racer

drag race a few ricers to get some street cred. with that paint job ur gonna need it. hey im just kidding . nice find. paint job and all.
billy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new project