Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 article from a bit of a different perspective

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
granracing
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 article from a bit of a different perspective

I was recently invited to a GM event in NYC where we got to see the new C7 in person. As part of the event, we were able to meet with the head designer of the project, the lead interior designer, and lead interior designer. The reason I’m posting this here is primarily because I came to this form prior to our meeting to see what you guys were saying, and get a feel for the types of questions you had. I normally don’t just do a first post like this but since we’re not “real journalists” and are just a few motorsports enthusiast guys who do this for fun, maybe you won’t bash me too badly for doing so. And no, I'm not going around on all of the Vette forums posting this.

As many here have said, seeing the car in photos and seeing it in person reveals a big difference in appearance. The C7 looks much better up close. While I have respect for older generations, this one just seems to be a big jump forward in many aspects. This is truly an impressive machine that I feel competes will compete nicely with much more expensive sports cars.

The information and ideas I got from this forum were very helpful in our efforts. I wanted to say thank you and share what we did with everything. So here it is.

Can’t wait to see how this car drives!!
Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks for sharing the article.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Well written and very informative.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 645 Likes on 388 Posts

Great article. That is the first thing that I have read that indicates a function for the "fangs".
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Again, with the suggested "weight loss" but absent the actual weight.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default GM warranty covers track use !!!!

There's an interesting tid bit from the article that I hadn't heard before - that in the Z51 package with its 10.5 quart dry sump system, the GM 5 year/100k mile warranty will actually cover track usage, if the car has no mods. Wow!!!!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 01-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Boil
Instructor

Great article…!

Found this bit the most exciting…

So confident is GM in the systems ruggedness, the 100,000 mile warranty covers track use! (Take that Nissan, for equipping your cars with a launch control system…that voids the warranty!) Of course, they don’t want you chipping the ECU, or bolting on a set of Hoosiers. The warranty is only valid for the car as delivered.
Also, great CLEAR shot of the storage behind the infotainment display…!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some excerpts:

"In person, the car makes a much better impression than in pictures, making the C6 sitting just behind it look positively dowdy. "

"But the dry sump system is the big kahuna here.... So confident is GM in the systems ruggedness, the 100,000 mile warranty covers track use! (Take that Nissan, for equipping your cars with a launch control system…that voids the warranty!)"

"Sharp readers with a good memory will now be panicking, remembering the last “configurable display” in a Corvette, the much hated digital dash from the 80s. Fear not, as this is no KITT-inspired digital dash, but is a configurable display setup, that yes, can be set to mimic an analog tach! Lexus did this to great effect with the highly desired LFA supercar,"

"Actually, the entire interior is a work of art compared to recent Corvette efforts. Surfaces are all delights to the eye, be it leather, carbon fiber, aluminum or microsuede."

"Real Napa leather is used on the seating surfaces and it took mere seconds to decide that these seats will blow away the abominations we tolerated in the C6. In fact, they are magnesium framed, and for the first time a Competition seat is available. "

"and the assembly line worker now has a method of tweaking each door panel on the line to ensure perfect fit."

"Early critics have raised objections about the taillights in particular, but I think it’s something you have to see in person. They’re actually rather interesting when lit, and much more three dimensional than they appear on paper. Tom pointed out that the old round ones would have been out of place on this car and I certainly agree. Working with the racing and engineering departments resulted in the need for cooling duct exhaust vents in the rear fascia. When attempting to use the round lights at one design stage, it looked rather Swiss cheese-like with a bunch of ‘polka dots’. "

"Closer examination will reveal that the final forms really aren’t “just a copy of the Camaro” but are rather different shapes. Indeed, they are similar in count and proportion, but Tom reminded us that the two cars have shared the basic light count for decades."

"The quarter panel top vent inlet locations, for instance, where requested by the Pratt and Miller boys, and their placement yields not only superior aerodynamics, but a lighter car was well, since locating the coolers at the back of the car removes yards of piping and improves weight distribution and reliability to boot."

" I questioned the “fangs” on the lower grill lip. He could see I wasn’t a fan. Turns out they are part of the pedestrian safety package, and of course, have been tunnel tweaked to double as downforce devices."
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
lemans
Pro

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
Great article. That is the first thing that I have read that indicates a function for the "fangs".
They may also be mounting points for a splitter in the upcoming Z06-ZR1 cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
granracing
Cruising

Thanks, much appreciated. We had over 1 1/2 hours of conversation recorded and this somehow is our "trimmed down" version. LOL

Again, with the suggested "weight loss" but absent the actual weight.
There were a few areas that they were hesitant to discuss, with weight being one of them. Only thing I can think of is the cars being displayed at the show aren't totally complete. For example, there will be an air dam of one sort of another that isn't on these cars yet. There was also talk of a few minor adjustments to the interrior.

Another aspect I thought was great is the designers were actually listening to what people are saying about the car. There was a big sense of colleboration and pride with this project.

The Z51 package... At least to me, it would be interesting to learn more about the custom Michellen tires they had developed specifically for this car. From what they said, there was over 1 million spent on developing the tires. That seems like a ton of money, and maybe it was exaggerated?

For the trunk, they did state that fitting a set of golf clubs was a must and taken into consideration. Even if you don't golf, at least it shows there is some functional storage room back there.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

That was a nice write-up. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lemans
They may also be mounting points for a splitter in the upcoming Z06-ZR1 cars.
We can only hope.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

"Pedestrian safety package" :scratcheshead:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Slynky
"Pedestrian safety package"
It's a small shot across everyone's bow and they need to pay attention: PedPro is getting to be a BIG deal in Washington DC. Like the ridiculous CAFE rules and regs, PedPro requirements are going to make it harder and harder to make a beautiful car due to bulges, bubbles, and other things needed to protect pedestrians.

Seriously.

Yell at your critters. Tell them pedestrians don't need protection, they need to watch out for oncoming cars. Otherwise we're going to get some strange-looking vehicles in the near future.

jas
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
granracing
Cruising

If the car hits a pedestrian, the fangs help prevent the person from going under the car and push them towards the hood. They also have other elements in the hood design that go towards this as well. At least GM spent a considerable amount of time in the wind tunnel to make them help the aero instead of hinder it. Originally looking at the car had thought the fangs were a bit odd, but at least it made sense from GM's perspective.

Volvo's V40 is looking to put an exterior "air bag" on their cars. Seems a bit crazy to me but...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

The more I hear about the tires, the more I wonder about spares. I know it has been difficult in the past to get a replacement for the C6. I hope GM and Michelin have a pipeline of replacements for blowouts and road debris at the launch.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Slynky
"Pedestrian safety package" :scratcheshead:
Europe has some whacky regs for pedestrian safety. Apparently there are people over there who walk places and must be considered.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 article from a bit of a different perspective

Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
granracing
Cruising

Anyone hear how much OEM replacement tires on the Z51 are going to cost?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by granracing
Anyone hear how much OEM replacement tires on the Z51 are going to cost?
Since the Michelin PS2 RF in 18/19 are around $1,700, my guess is more than that for the new Michelins in 19/20.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's a small shot across everyone's bow and they need to pay attention: PedPro is getting to be a BIG deal in Washington DC. Like the ridiculous CAFE rules and regs, PedPro requirements are going to make it harder and harder to make a beautiful car due to bulges, bubbles, and other things needed to protect pedestrians.

Seriously.

Yell at your critters. Tell them pedestrians don't need protection, they need to watch out for oncoming cars. Otherwise we're going to get some strange-looking vehicles in the near future.

jas
Originally Posted by granracing
If the car hits a pedestrian, the fangs help prevent the person from going under the car and push them towards the hood. They also have other elements in the hood design that go towards this as well. At least GM spent a considerable amount of time in the wind tunnel to make them help the aero instead of hinder it. Originally looking at the car had thought the fangs were a bit odd, but at least it made sense from GM's perspective.

Volvo's V40 is looking to put an exterior "air bag" on their cars. Seems a bit crazy to me but...
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the info.

(LOL @ exterior air bags...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 article from a bit of a different perspective