Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Hey Blue Ox

We're still months from being able to order or even know how much the C7 will costs.

It's been on every magazine cover, in the GT5 video game, on CBS, the Today show, web videos on all the magazine and blog sites, walk arounds, interviews, Best in Show at Detroit.... Now they are uncamoed and out on the wild getting fan coverage.

Still think they bungled the marketing?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Certain fairly viable sources have said 53k is the number
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
We're still months from being able to order or even know how much the C7 will costs.

It's been on every magazine cover, in the GT5 video game, on CBS, the Today show, web videos on all the magazine and blog sites, walk arounds, interviews, Best in Show at Detroit.... Now they are uncamoed and out on the wild getting fan coverage.

Fair question. He WAS on a kick of badmouthing their efforts there for a while
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Certain fairly viable sources have said 53k is the number
Well, that would mean a fully outfitted 3LT/Z51/MSRC is gonna run around 75k…?

I am thinking with ALL the extras AND tax/tag/title/delivery fees; visible CF roof, painted spoiler & mirrors, painted brake calipers, suede seat inserts, suede upper interior trim, CF interior bits & variable-tuned performance exhaust; NOT taking the auto transmission choice into consideration…

Comp seats should NOT be a price increase for anyone ordering the 3LT trim package…
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Boil
Well, that would mean a fully outfitted 3LT/Z51/MSRC is gonna run around 75k…?

I am thinking with ALL the extras AND tax/tag/title/delivery fees; visible CF roof, painted spoiler & mirrors, painted brake calipers, suede seat inserts, suede upper interior trim, CF interior bits & variable-tuned performance exhaust; NOT taking the auto transmission choice into consideration…

Comp seats should NOT be a price increase for anyone ordering the 3LT trim package…
Not going to be alot of the "Younger Market" springing for that kind of coin.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I do think that they did. I was complaining about inaction at the time, and I stand by that. They could have been managing expectations much better than they did.

Now, once they actually started doing something, I've said I liked what they are doing, because they were finally doing something. I didn't think the teaser videos were worth the effort but the idea that they had a web site/facebook/twitter specifically dedicated to building anticipation worked well.

On the other hand, if the objective is to engender great feelings toward the C7, I don't think it really was effective as the final product speaks for itself far more than the anticipation. And there is a lot of distain for it even now. Again, part of that is because they didn't do a good job of controlling expectations. This whole 6 speed auto vs the rumored 8 speed is just one example. They are fairly silent about this still.

We could talk about some of the other things that were happening when I was saying it. Do I think that some of the denials by GM that Jalopnik got it exactly right by GM folks has been quickly forgotten by people like you. The idea that Ed Welburn said that it wasn't something they would allow to happen is pretty laughable.

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller

He's still in a state of confusion because the C7 is WIDER then a base C6 by 1.3" instead of being NARROWER then the Base C6 by 3.6" as he was ranting before the release.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Not going to be alot of the "Younger Market" springing for that kind of coin.
That "Younger Market" best have a job good enough to secure a 6-year payment plan, with an expendable $1,500/month to cover said payments & insurance premiums…!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yes, I do think that they did. I was complaining about inaction at the time, and I stand by that. They could have been managing expectations much better than they did.

Now, once they actually started doing something, I've said I liked what they are doing, because they were finally doing something. I didn't think the teaser videos were worth the effort but the idea that they had a web site/facebook/twitter specifically dedicated to building anticipation worked well.

On the other hand, if the objective is to engender great feelings toward the C7, I don't think it really was effective as the final product speaks for itself far more than the anticipation. And there is a lot of distain for it even now. Again, part of that is because they didn't do a good job of controlling expectations. This whole 6 speed auto vs the rumored 8 speed is just one example. They are fairly silent about this still.

We could talk about some of the other things that were happening when I was saying it. Do I think that some of the denials by GM that Jalopnik got it exactly right by GM folks has been quickly forgotten by people like you. The idea that Ed Welburn said that it wasn't something they would allow to happen is pretty laughable.

I'm gonna have to agree with BlueOx. The Viper guys knew exactly what they were getting a year ago, and knew what to expect. We still have unanswered questions and TOO MUCH speculation. The only threads we should be seeing right now in this forum is "What trim you're gonna buy?" Too many threads on what the car is gonna have.....imo. And everybody is GUESSING on the answers...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
He's still in a state of confusion because the C7 is WIDER then a base C6 by 1.3" instead of being NARROWER then the Base C6 by 3.6" as he was ranting before the release.
Ranting? Speculating. As did a lot of folks because it did look smaller. Of course you aren't mentioning that I was right that it is shorter, are you? BTW, where did I say that it was GOING TO BE 3.6" narrower than the BASE?

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-22-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
I'm gonna have to agree with BlueOx. The Viper guys knew exactly what they were getting a year ago, and knew what to expect. We still have unanswered questions and TOO MUCH speculation. The only threads we should be seeing right now in this forum is "What trim you're gonna buy?" Too many threads on what the car is gonna have.....imo. And everybody is GUESSING on the answers...
Part of the problem with GM letting out info on the C7 earlier would be tanking current C6 sales…

But I have a solution for that…!

The more C7s a salesperson moves, the larger discount said salesperson gets on a closeout C6…! Sell enough C7s, get a FREE C6…!!!

New models sold…? Check…

Old models cleared out (without TOO much of a financial hit)… Check…

OR…!!! Retrofit the remaining stock of C6s, and sell them off to Law Enforcement as Interceptor models…!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Part of the problem with GM letting out info on the C7 earlier would be tanking current C6 sales…

The more C7s a salesperson moves, the larger discount said salesperson gets on a closeout C6…! Sell enough C7s, get a FREE C6…!!!

New models sold…? Check…

OR…!!! Retrofit the remaining stock of C6s, and sell them off to Law Enforcement as Interceptor models…!!!
Good luck with that...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I think GM has done a pretty good job of creating buzz/hype and generating interest. People at work whom I've never spoken to about cars are even interested in the C7.

And the buzz will be rekindled in the future, keeping interest high while we wait for the cars to become available. There will be a lot of talk when the final power figures are released. Likewise when the price is announced. And certainly when the magazines get test cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Ranting? Speculating. As did a lot of folks because it did look smaller. Of course you aren't mentioning that I was right that it is shorter, are you? BTW, where did I say that it was GOING TO BE 3.6" narrower than the BASE?
So, 177"(C7) is shorter then 174.6"(C6). You struck out.

You said the C7 was going to be 69". That's 3.6" narrower then the base C6 at 72.6". You said it was going to be narrower and when I asked for predictions on the actual width, you said 69".

I said the C7 would be wider then the base C6 but slightly narrower then the widebody C6. I predicted the width of the C7 at 74.9". I missed the actual dimension by 1", but I was correct that the C7 would be wider then the base C6 and narrower then the widebody C6.

You said the C7 would be narrower then the base C6 and by quite a bit(3.6"). You were totaly wrong just as you were totally wrong in your believing that GM's marketing was all screwed up and your idea of marketing was correct..

While I'm not 100% with GM's styling of the C7, they are getting press coverage like crazy, because their maketing department knew exactly what they were doing. and I said so when you were ranting about GM's marketing of the C7 last summer/fall. Ton's of everyday people now know about the new Corvette. Very few know about the Viper.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-22-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So, 177"(C7) is shorter then 174.6"(C6). You struck out.
Shorter height. I was right on. I never even speculated about length. Where is that link, BTW?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

…!!!

I see your point. But what about the buyer whose ready to buy a car now (like me), and wouldn't mind waiting 10 months to buy....IF....he knew what to wait for.

I guess there's no win-win in this. Oh well, hope I don't pull the trigger on the SL63 my wife loves so much before we get some info on the Vette....
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

New models sold…? Check…

Actually, I think GM already has a dealer incentive system in place - the more C6s you sell, the bigger/sooner C7 allocation you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Hey Blue Ox

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Boil
Instructor

Good luck with that...
Hey, that Homeland Security money has to go towards something, why not the fastest gumballs on the road…!?!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Hey, that Homeland Security money has to go towards something, why not the fastest gumballs on the road…!?!
yeah - apparently they're buying boats and underwater inspection devices for towns that don't have lakes or rivers...................
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by joesc5
so, 177"(c7) is shorter then 174.6"(c6). You struck out.

You said the c7 was going to be 69". That's 3.6" narrower then the base c6 at 72.6". You said it was going to be narrower and when i asked for predictions on the actual width, you said 69".

I said the c7 would be wider then the base c6 but slightly narrower then the widebody c6. I predicted the width of the c7 at 74.9". I missed the actual dimension by 1", but i was correct that the c7 would be wider then the base c6 and narrower then the widebody c6.

You said the c7 would be narrower then the base c6 and by quite a bit(3.6"). You were totaly wrong just as you were totally wrong in your believing that gm's marketing was all screwed up and your idea of marketing was correct..

While i'm not 100% with gm's styling of the c7, they are getting press coverage like crazy, because their maketing department knew exactly what they were doing. And i said so when you were ranting about gm's marketing of the c7 last summer/fall. Ton's of everyday people now know about the new corvette. Very few know about the viper.
link joe, link!
I said it would be shorter in height like around 48" and it is. I said it was going to be narrower but nothing like what you are saying. I tried to measure but it was a crap shoot.

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Hey Blue Ox