Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rick Hendrick & C7 Stingray on CBS Sunday Morning Jan 20th

Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Rick Hendrick & C7 Stingray on CBS Sunday Morning Jan 20th

LEE COWAN TEST DRIVES THE NEW CORVETTE STRINGRAY AND TALKS WITH COLLECTOR AND NASCAR OWNER RICK HENDRICK ABOUT THE SPORTS CAR ON “CBS SUNDAY MORNING WITH CHARLES OSGOOD”

SAYS HENDRICK: “THE CORVETTE WAS JUST THE ULTIMATE CAR – YOU HAD THE STYLING, THE POWER, ALL THE GIRLS LIKED THEM”

CBS News correspondent Lee Cowan gets a sneak peek at of Chevrolet’s totally redesigned 2014 Corvette Stingray and talks with NASCAR team owner and Corvette collector Rick Hendrick about the prized vehicles this weekend on CBS SUNDAY MORNING WITH CHARLES OSGOOD.

“The Corvette was just the ultimate car,” Hendrick tells Cowan. “I mean, it was – you had the styling, the power, all the girls liked them.”

Timed to the car’s 60th birthday, Chevrolet has redesigned the vehicle for 2014 and brought back the legendary Stingray name. Hendrick, a top NASCAR team owner, has one of the largest private Corvette collections in the world, with nearly 150 in his stable. He said he met his wife, Linda, while driving a Stingray.

“She rode with me in that first Corvette on our first date and it broke down,” Hendrick recalls. “She wasn’t very impressed.”

The two-seat sports car survived has for six decades, a period which includes General Motors’ bankruptcy. “It would be such a shame for that car to be missing in America’s culture,” Hendrick says. “I just think it’s part of the DNA of Chevrolet.”

Cowan talks with Tadge Juechter, Chevrolet’s chief engineer on the Corvette team, who allowed Cowan to become the first person outside the Chevrolet family to drive one. “I don’t even know how to describe it,” Cowan says.

Hendrick, a Chevy dealer, can’t wait to get his hands on one of the new Corvettes, Cowan reports. “I think this car will probably be one of the most sought-after cars that we’ve seen in a long time,” Hendrick tells Cowan.

Cowan’s report on the new Corvette will be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013 on CBS SUNDAY MORNING (9:00 AM, ET) on the CBS Television Network.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 AM
WOLF ECHO
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Cowan talks with Tadge Juechter, Chevrolet’s chief engineer on the Corvette team, who allowed Cowan to become the first person outside the Chevrolet family to drive one. “I don’t even know how to describe it,” Cowan says.
Wasn't Matt Lauer from The Today Show "the first person outside the Chevrolet family to drive one"?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People will be so sick of the car before it gets started. Who cares to see some old
rich man blow and go about how to waste money
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by are8see
Wasn't Matt Lauer from The Today Show "the first person outside the Chevrolet family to drive one"?
Maybe this was taped before Lauer drove it.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
People will be so sick of the car before it gets started. Who cares to see some old
Have you seen reality tv lately? People have a weird, sick sense of what they like to watch on tv.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Chevrolet is lying already!!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for heads up, got dvr set

I know some folks grumble about these shows but at least they do give credit and publicity to the cars we all love
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
MildBill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the hate? The money goes to charity.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Hendricks may be a rich old guy but at least he made his money via the "car world", he could have been some anonymous hedge fund manager who only cared about the investment value of the car and not the car itself (nothing against hedge fund managers)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Hendricks may be a rich old guy but at least he made his money via the "car world", he could have been some anonymous hedge fund manager who only cared about the investment value of the car and not the car itself (nothing against hedge fund managers)
Ummm there are reasons people don't care for him....... Google is your Friend Now that I know the show is about him this morning I can skip watching..................
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Class warfare and envy at it's finest. And I am far from being rich.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

sheeesh why dont they just rename the auction to the Barrett-Jackson-Hendrick Auction? Every time I turn it on who do I see? Get tired of seeing him throwing huge money around there like its nothing.... he purposefully will squash any lesser guy who might really want something he's worked his whole life for. Hendrick just adds vehicles to his already insane collection for the sake of doing it. I know that the $1.1M C7 money is going to charity which is good.Rant off.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
[
“She rode with me in that first Corvette on our first date and it broke down,” Hendrick recalls. “She wasn’t very impressed.”
I knew I had something in common with Rick Hendrick. The upper radiator hose tore at the clamp on my 6 month old 1972 Corvette on the first date with my wife, and she was not impressed either. On our second date we got a flat on the right rear. Decades later she's still here and we laugh about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Coming up in a few minutes now!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1

Not really about Hendrick at all. Nice story but nothing we don't already know. More focused on general audiences who haven't been breathlessly watching C7 unveiling.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not really about Hendrick at all. Nice story but nothing we don't already know. More focused on general audiences who haven't been breathlessly watching C7 unveiling.
We got to HEAR it Top speed close to 190 and wider than the current model speaks to why no Future GS............

Get notified of new replies

To Rick Hendrick & C7 Stingray on CBS Sunday Morning Jan 20th

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
nevillej
Instructor

Well this "Old Rich Man" spent 1.05 Million Dollars to get Vin#001 of the latest Stingray(proceeds went to charity). This man knows the history of the corvette better than most and has one of the greatest corvette collections in the world. He also purchased a late 60's racing corvette of significance for over 1 Million and of few other trinkets for his collection.

Sound to me like your just mad because you're not the "Old Rich Man". The way I see it he promotes the brand, he own Chevrolet dealerships and is an excellent ambassador for the corvette. He has donated to the Corvette Museums 1 Acre club to support the building of the track they are working on and with his money he definitely can afford any car he wants but he chooses the corvette. I tip my hat off to him, sorry to disagree with your opinion.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
We got to HEAR it Top speed close to 190 and wider than the current model speaks to why no Future GS............
Yes, truly a widebody to begin with...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as mentioned here already, the $$$$ Hendrick paid for that C7 went to charity:

the College for Creative Arts in Detroit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rick Hendrick & C7 Stingray on CBS Sunday Morning Jan 20th