Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Match?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rev Match?

A lot is being made of the "rev match" feature included with the manual transmission. How do you folks feel about it?

Personally, I don't understand the need...I've owned exclusively stick-shift cars for decades, and they have all had rev match. It's called blipping the throttle. Most folks buy a manual transmission in a car like this because they value the added driver involvement. Now we're supposed to be thrilled that they've figured out a way to remove some of the driver involvement? Gee, if only they could get rid of those annoying clutch pedals and shift levers, too...

The philosophy behind this feature is the same as the philosophy behind Launch Control: Lets bring manual transmission competence to those with lesser skill levels. You know...like a player piano, or laser sights, or...

Rev match falls into that huge category of things that you know, intellectually, to be "improvements", but that just somehow don't seem to be "better" because, in doing their job, they actually remove something desirable from your experience.

Of course, the other side will say that the same argument could easily have been made when syncronizers were first introduced in manual transmissions to eliminate the need for "double clutching", and that rev match is just another step in the evolution of the stick. And they're right, but the next step is the loss of "those annoying clutch pedals and shift levers"...and the result is the "manumatic" transmission, along with its pinky shifters. Yes, it's marginally faster, and if you honestly spend a lot of your time on a track, scratching around for a few hundredths of a second here and there, it may be a just what you want. But, does it really make the car more enjoyable to drive the other 99% of the time?

I just hope that the feature is like Launch Control, in that it needs to be actively engaged...or at least can be turned off.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2836586-rev-matching.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...hing-what.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I agree with where you are going with this. I also hope this "feature" is able to be turned off. In fact I wish GM had put the dollars spent on this into something more upscale in the interior-maybe 1 less piece of plastic.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I agree that it should be able to be turned off by the driver, but this is a feature that I really like. With an already electronically controlled throttle, this feature is very easy to implement and will save lots of wear on the clutch and the synchronizers. A blip on the throttle can't match the speed exactly but only get closer than no blip...this will be spot-on. Good call by GM...this is a useful feature that is very low cost to implement.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe in a few years the Vettes and Vipers will be 99% computer controlled like the GTR's are today.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

For drivers who will track there C7's on a road course the ARM will be a great addition - especially if they have difficulties performing a perfect heel - toe down shift.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The heel toe thing is where I'd need practice if I was to do it in a *****-to-the-wall track situation. I can do it, but if you are really driving on the edge, small issues with your timing might mean you're in the weeds. I do not brake well with my heel, I just never did that very well and my driving time (experience) with it is limited. As to double clutching, I've done that my entire driving life, and I can rev match well enough to do so without using the clutch, and not making any odd noises either. Not quickly of course, but can do it.

I certainly don't need help with the throttle. But having adjustable pedals to keep my right foot angle more comfortable so I CAN heel brake would be a nice touch (imo).
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
puckshaw
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
The heel toe thing is where I'd need practice if I was to do it in a *****-to-the-wall track situation. I can do it, but if you are really driving on the edge, small issues with your timing might mean you're in the weeds. I do not brake well with my heel, I just never did that very well and my driving time (experience) with it is limited. As to double clutching, I've done that my entire driving life, and I can rev match well enough to do so without using the clutch, and not making any odd noises either. Not quickly of course, but can do it.

I certainly don't need help with the throttle. But having adjustable pedals to keep my right foot angle more comfortable so I CAN heel brake would be a nice touch (imo).
Heel-toe is done with the ball of your foot on the brake and the heel blipping the throttle. Not the other way around.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

i heel toe every time i bring my car to a stop, and if i was no longer able to do that with a manual transmission, I would feel that I am losing out on a lot of the driving experience. I actually don't even use my heel on the gas. i put my foot at an angle and kind of roll it over to blip the gas.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan 370Z has this feature and I believe the driver can turn it off. Hope GM does the same; otherwise this will take some of the fun out of the car for those of us used to blipping the throttle on down shifts.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by puckshaw
Heel-toe is done with the ball of your foot on the brake and the heel blipping the throttle. Not the other way around.
That would explain why it lacks feel then! Lol
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
BigRedPig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor trend says that it can be deactivated. Just look at their "first look."
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

The deactivation device is a paddle on behind the steering I believe
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally agree.

For real sports car enthusiasts this is a ridiculous feature. I also instinctively blip the car myself when downshifting and I do heel and toe on the road during spirited driving. On the track I exclusively heel-toe.

So wait, this is not permanently defeatable? Ok, so now every time I enter the car I have to hit two buttons? One for comp mode, and one for removing auto blip? Thats a VERY poor user experience considering the real goal of the car is to be a serious sports car.

Why are car engineers so focused on removing the driver from the driving experience? Its a fascinating and mind boggling trend. I think the real problem is that people buy these cars with no clue how to really drive them (not really their fault, they're just ignorant) and manufacturers add these helpers so that anyone can drive the cars fast.

Ok, that makes sense. But what they're doing in the process is ruining the essence of really what sports car driving is all about.... the connection and syncing of a human to a machine. Its about nailing that apex, making a perfect down shift, and testing limits. If the car is doing it for me, what is the fun in that? Real enthusiasts shouldn't be punished for wanting to drive a car fast ALL BY THEMSELVES

Last edited by Subw00er; 01-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
For drivers who will track there C7's on a road course the ARM will be a great addition - especially if they have difficulties performing a perfect heel - toe down shift.

for those not understanding rev matching (sometimes called Adaptive Shifting)... it matters to a particular driving type. For those particular drivers, it is a welcomed addition.

When in fourth gear - and blazing into a tight corner and downshifting into second - breaking traction (due to the downshift) will send you into the barrier. Up to the present time, one would need to try to rev match engine RPM's right before the downshift. Having to do this manually - keeps the driver very busy behind the wheel.

If it's not beneficial for ones driving type; then instead of saying "it's wrong"... just say it's "not for me".

Everything I've read so far says that Adaptive Rev Matching will be driver enabled/disabled.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It's an unbelievably sweet option and I don't want to own another car w/o it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rev Match?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Nothing to get all worked up about.

Just turn it off.

Take no offense but when my wife drives she is a little off on the downshifts.... I think this will be best of both worlds.

A) all us shift experts won't use it and if lesser family members drive then the tranny won't take the beating.

B) if you are really getting on it vs someone in an auto it will be quicker and more than likely save your tranny if you somehow miss one of those gates at 7,000 rpm........

C) I am not a pro racer although I have hammered on vettes for 30 years.
I will honestly admit I am not always 100% jerk free when shifting.

The new girlfriend will really be impressed how smoothly you shift.......
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont like it. Then turn it off. Yes, it is defeatable.

While I agree the main reasonable for buying a manual transmission is to be more involved in the driving process, how can you not like a feature thats designed to make you operate the car better & faster. And is a feature you can turn off if you dont like. Same would go for traction control, vehicle stability, performance driving modes, etc. They are all designed to make you go FASTER and SAFER in your vehicle.

One of the things I love most about the C7, is that the technology has been stepped up tremendously. I wont being going for a 2014 model. But if they announce a real DCT transmission in the 2015 or later models.. then its pretty much a guarantee I'll be in a C7 sooner or later.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How does this feature compare to NLS (No Lift Shift) which was announced on multiple GM models?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev Match?