C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohh ohh, trouble in Malibu land, maybe C7?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default ohh ohh, trouble in Malibu land, maybe C7?

From the AutoExtremist: I bolded in red the pertinent sentence. The Malibu is in trouble and might be rushed in for a re-freshening like the new Honda Civic has been re-freshened a year after it's introduction.

"Editor-in-Chief's Note: Rumors have been flying for a while now that GM was contemplating a freshening of its recently introduced Malibu because it hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. Automotive News is reporting the same thing this week. Remember, the Malibu is the car that GM's "Accidental Tourist" CEO rushed to market because it was going to be hot and they needed it. Well, it hasn't worked that way. Maybe it's because the Malibu looks like it was designed by a couple of different design studios within GM Design. Or maybe it's the fact that hanging the Camaro-esque tail on it doesn't really work. But now that Honda has rushed a successful change to its Civic to market after only eighteen months, GM is contemplating the same for the Malibu. Memo to GM: Keep Captain Queeg as far away as possible from any decisions on making changes to the Malibu. He doesn't have a frickin' clue. - PMD"

With all the hate being bantered around for the C7 tail lights (I did not take the pledge) this does not bode well. Once again for the record I like the rear end. What do you think in light of this new info? keep it civil, please.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

The reveal on 1-13, the actual start of production and delivery (in August?) and subsequent sales will tell. The good news is that GM has that 18 months in hand before the 2015 model arrives............

Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

For the millionth time it doesn't have camaro lights. Just cause my old rx-7 has 2 doors doesn't make it look like a corvette with two door. shat is old already and so are the old people complaining about it. Just a few more days
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I think if you've been paying attention to Malibu reviews you know styling isn't the big problem and plastic surgery won't fix it.

They took a few inches of wheelbase out of the car, and took it out of rear seat legroom, and all the reviews complain about it. They also made a light hybrid with the previous-generation four-banger the only powertrain available at launch, and all the reviews complain about it.

They can fix the powertrain, but they're probably screwed on the legroom.

So even if the taillights were a cause of significant complaint, and I'd call reviews mixed at worst, changing the taillights is just polishing a turd.

All this says nothing about C7.

.Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 01-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
From the AutoExtremist: I bolded in red the pertinent sentence. The Malibu is in trouble and might be rushed in for a re-freshening like the new Honda Civic has been re-freshened a year after it's introduction.

"Editor-in-Chief's Note: Rumors have been flying for a while now that GM was contemplating a freshening of its recently introduced Malibu because it hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. Automotive News is reporting the same thing this week. Remember, the Malibu is the car that GM's "Accidental Tourist" CEO rushed to market because it was going to be hot and they needed it. Well, it hasn't worked that way. Maybe it's because the Malibu looks like it was designed by a couple of different design studios within GM Design. Or maybe it's the fact that hanging the Camaro-esque tail on it doesn't really work. But now that Honda has rushed a successful change to its Civic to market after only eighteen months, GM is contemplating the same for the Malibu. Memo to GM: Keep Captain Queeg as far away as possible from any decisions on making changes to the Malibu. He doesn't have a frickin' clue. - PMD"

With all the hate being bantered around for the C7 tail lights (I did not take the pledge) this does not bode well. Once again for the record I like the rear end. What do you think in light of this new info? keep it civil, please.
He also just said...after roundly criticizing every automaker in existence that will be at the show...
But then again what else is there to do in January in Detroit? And besides, a new Corvette is right around the corner, and that’s a very, very good thing.

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jinx
I think if you've been paying attention to Malibu reviews you know styling isn't the big problem and plastic surgery won't fix it.

They took a few inches of wheelbase out of the car, and took it out of rear seat legroom, and all the reviews complain about it. They also made a light hybrid with the previous-generation four-banger the only powertrain available at launch, and all the reviews complain about it.

.Jinx
Agreed. They are really ripping on the mild hybrid. But the tail lights do look tacked on, it just does not work on the refresh.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I find the AutoExtremist entertaining and enlightening, but make no mistake, his schtick is being a curmudgeon who goes heavy on the invective.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

I find the AutoExtremist entertaining and enlightening, but make no mistake, his schtick is being a curmudgeon who goes heavy on the invective.
Very true, but I still need to read it every Wednesday. Sometimes Peter can be entertaining.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The Malibu's problem is that one, they started off selling the Eco hybrid instead of the true base car, two, there was no advertising until recently, and three, the car is smaller on the inside than the last one and also its competitors. The Passat has a ridiculously spacious backseat.

But, I think it looks pretty good in person.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

And I really enjoyed his tour of GM Design with Ed Welburn where he was so kissing *** I had to laugh out loud.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

The Camaro tail lights actually look good on the Malibu.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I loved that tour. That was quite the coup. If it took buttkissing to get it, not a problem. He really is a GM fan at heart, raised in awe of the old powerhouse of design, manufacturing, and marketing.

He also brings up at every opportunity that there will be a Cadillac ATS coupe, which he knows because he's seen it and it's stunning. Back-seat lovers rejoice.

.Jinx
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I loved that tour. That was quite the coup. If it took buttkissing to get it, not a problem. He really is a GM fan at heart, raised in awe of the old powerhouse of design, manufacturing, and marketing.

He also brings up at every opportunity that there will be a Cadillac ATS coupe, which he knows because he's seen it and it's stunning. Back-seat lovers rejoice.

.Jinx
Yup, I'm sure it did take a lot of heiney hugging. And I enjoyed it too. Just sayin that he isn't generally like that when I have seen or read his stuff.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

I've never thought DeLorenzo had a clue.

Has ANYTHING he's ever said been accurate? Any further off base on his opinions and he'd be working at Motor Trend.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the rear end too...on your avatar! lol
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Right on!

So even if the taillights were a cause of significant complaint, and I'd call reviews mixed at worst, changing the taillights is just polishing a turd.

All this says nothing about C7.

.Jinx
GM is never wrong about the Corvette! Hence, the name Corvette!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

.Jinx
I don't think there is a journalist out there that beats up on Ackerson so relentlessly than Peter D. I am surprised Ackerson allows Peter access to the RenCen .

Get notified of new replies

To ohh ohh, trouble in Malibu land, maybe C7?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455

prinz, It got me worried when Peter mentions severe cost cutting to GM's " most visible product" . I was hoping he was talking about the trucks and not the Corvette.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

The back end looks a little like the Camaro, but here is the problem: it is plain ugly!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John T
prinz, It got me worried when Peter mentions severe cost cutting to GM's " most visible product" . I was hoping he was talking about the trucks and not the Corvette.
That has me worried as well. With many years of cost cutting, GM had some of the worst interiors with cheap plastics, leather, cloth, etc, The last few years GM has put out some really nice interiors, interiors that I would not be ashamed of when driving friends around. If Ackerson's marching orders in cost reduction effect the wrong places in the car, then GM will be going down the same old road and having not learnt their lesson from recent history.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ohh ohh, trouble in Malibu land, maybe C7?