C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Adjustable Exhaust Note .. what to expect?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Centex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Adjustable Exhaust Note .. what to expect?

I do not believe this has been discussed. If so I apologize. Remember when the pictures of the C7 were released on X-mas Day or around that time ... and they showed the pic of the interior and commented that one of the new features was a 7 mode adjustable exhaust setting -

full article here
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/25/l...e-hit-the-web/

Toward the end of the fourth paragraph this feature was mentioned "Last but not least, an Engine Sound Management system will alter the 'robustness' of the engine note via seven settings: Auto, Stealth, City, Tour, Sport, Track and Off."

MY questions is this - what type of sound variance can we realistically expect from these different modes? Are we talking Maserati type grunt for instance when it is in "track" mode compared to say the sound when our NPP flaps are closed at lower RPMs for "stealth mode"

Your comments and opinions are welcome - please weigh in and tell me what you think or have heard...

MY personal hope is that on its loudest setting it will actually be throaty enough so that we as consumers will not actually have to buy after market exhaust to get the desired note we want (hopefully like the BB Fusion exhaust or close to it). That the sound of the exhaust will for once match a car that has upward of 500HP under the hood. One can hope
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Centex
I do not believe this has been discussed. If so I apologize. Remember when the pictures of the C7 were released on X-mas Day or around that time ... and they showed the pic of the interior and commented that one of the new features was a 7 mode adjustable exhaust setting -

full article here
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/25/l...e-hit-the-web/

Toward the end of the fourth paragraph this feature was mentioned "Last but not least, an Engine Sound Management system will alter the 'robustness' of the engine note via seven settings: Auto, Stealth, City, Tour, Sport, Track and Off."

MY questions is this - what type of sound variance can we realistically expect from these different modes? Are we talking Maserati type grunt for instance when it is in "track" mode compared to say the sound when our NPP flaps are closed at lower RPMs for "stealth mode"

Your comments and opinions are welcome - please weigh in and tell me what you think or have heard...

MY personal hope is that on its loudest setting it will actually be throaty enough so that we as consumers will not actually have to buy after market exhaust to get the desired note we want (hopefully like the BB Fusion exhaust or close to it). That the sound of the exhaust will for once match a car that has upward of 500HP under the hood. One can hope
I hope one of the settings gets me arrested on the spot.

As a lifelong attention *****............
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crossing my fingers this will be a great feature/selling point of the car. I want dirt track sprint car V-8 loud! : )
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Engine Sound Management" makes it sounds like much more than a simple exhaust setting. I'd imagine that there will variable induction noise as well, with something like an adjustable intake resonator. It could also incorporate noise cancelling technology via the audio system. Sounds like a cool feature as long as they don't have speakers playing fake engine noise a la BMW M5.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Raitzi
Racer

I think it just alters on what revs and how much flaps inside exhaust open. I think most will not want or need aftermarket solution to get corvette sound right.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
I think it just alters on what revs and how much flaps inside exhaust open. I think most will not want or need aftermarket solution to get corvette sound right.
After years of stock 'Vettes sounding like Cadillacs and being embarrassed by the exhaust notes of Mustangs, Camaros, etc. it will be nice to finally have a wicked sounding car that doesn't need help from the aftermarket.

I'm sure Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow and others aren't too happy about this, though.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by BMadden
After years of stock 'Vettes sounding like Cadillacs and being embarrassed by the exhaust notes of Mustangs, Camaros, etc. it will be nice to finally have a wicked sounding car that doesn't need help from the aftermarket.

I'm sure Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow and others aren't too happy about this, though.
I agree - after all this time I hope they get it right - when you have cars like mustangs etc and maseratis (yes its a lot more $$ but the vette has a superior powerplant) the least GM can do is have an exhaust note that makes people on the street turn their head when a vette goes by and think "what was that" ... i cant even do that in my Z -- its pitiful .. yes its nice when Im on long highway trips, but around town I want something that says "this is a f'in corvette hear me roar" lol .. sorry thats just me ... o well we will see - 5 days and and counting.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

With AFM I would be inclined to believe aftermarket. Exhausts will need a lot od development time so they work properly....

Without proper development the aftermarket exhausts will sound weird when AFM kicks on.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

First question, is the Bi-Mode exhaust going to be standard?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
First question, is the Bi-Mode exhaust going to be standard?
I doubt that...why would they not offer this as an option?

You can bet this ESM system won't be standard either. I hope it isn't like the BMW approach.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-using-stereo/
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a set of Corsa pipes on my C5. You can see in the picture they have no gap between them like a C7. I have had them for years. They are quiet at cruise but raise holy hell when you punch it. I hope the new system saves me about $1,400 bucks.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 671 Likes on 227 Posts

It's going to be a dial that goes to 11
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
I hope one of the settings gets me arrested on the spot..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I doubt that...why would they not offer this as an option?

You can bet this ESM system won't be standard either. I hope it isn't like the BMW approach.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-using-stereo/
It is on the Camaro ZL1. Seems to make sense since we haven't seen any HP claims for the LT1 with and without the Bi-Mode exhaust.

If it's still optional then how much more HP will that LT1 have?

Last edited by AFVETTE; 01-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I expect it to be entirely mechanical. If speakers are involved, there will be much hate -- it's the ultimate poseur move.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
It is on the Camaro ZL1. Seems to make sense since we haven't seen any HP claims for the LT1 with and without the Bi-Mode exhaust.

If it's still optional then how much more HP will that LY1 have?
There aren't hardly any options on the ZL1...as opposed to the GT500. 1:34

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by GmdVT
It's going to be a dial that goes to 11

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Adjustable Exhaust Note .. what to expect?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it'll sound cammed. Aka ghost cam lol
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Seems stupid to me. I just want what is light and makes good power.

When you get this option, NSPP ( I think) how much weight are you gaining? What are the dyno proven hp gains in the open position?

And how does this option compare in weight, cost, and hp to an aftermarket exhaust system?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Seems stupid to me. I just want what is light and makes good power.

When you get this option, NSPP ( I think) how much weight are you gaining? What are the dyno proven hp gains in the open position?

And how does this option compare in weight, cost, and hp to an aftermarket exhaust system?
Doesn't matter how Chevy attempts to squeeze different notes and decibel levels from the same exhaust, it's still going to pass through cast exhaust manifolds, myriad catalytic converters, and a likely heavily packed set of mufflers, straight-through paths or not. A full open and even muffler modded stock Z06 exhaust sounds completely different than all the aftermarket offerings.

There will still be an aftermarket for exhauts that are lighter, less restrictive, and that produce a more desirable tone. Not to mention, they may allow the owners to shave off whatever mechanical/solenoid/vacuum activated OEM systems are weighing the car down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Adjustable Exhaust Note .. what to expect?