C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on superchargers.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Default School me on superchargers.

I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You're better off buying a complete kit from A&A or ECS.

(ECS is better)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(A&A is better)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Uh oh. I think this thread just turned into a war.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

most will say AA or ECS, if you want to make the most power and have the fastest car on the street you should look into a powerdyne kit, best quality out there and customer service is second to none
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TRIZ

(A&A is better)
OP wanted Schooled, not Fooled
Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIZ

(A&A is better)
To chime in here there's really only two company's that make a blower kit that I'd put on my vette. A&A and ECS. In the end it's personal choice. With both kits in order to go "Super Fast" your going to have to buy more then just a base kit. The base A&A kit is a bit cheaper then the base ECS kit. The base ECS kits generally run paxton novi 1500 blowes the A&A kits generally run vortech V2 SI trim blowers. Vortech owns Paxton. Litterally speaking. A lot of the ECS guys seem to step up to the Novi 2000 blower right off the bat and put a restrictor plate in there to limit boost. (There has been some controversy as to wheather or not the restrictor plate is bad for the head units but I personally don't think so but I've been wrong before. The next step up from the V2 SI trim is the vortech T trim. These like the novi 2000 blowers have been over spun to be in the 800+ WHP range where the novi 2K has also been over spun and produced 800+ WHP maybe a little more. Then there's the vortech YSi which is generally the big boy blower that comes in a relatively small package. Novi's equivilant if you call it that is the Novi 2500 which if I'm not mistaken has a YSi impeller but a bigger volute than the YSi. However I've seen certain classes of racing that won't allow the novi 2.5K but they will allow the YSi. With that said there have been people who are serious about thier racing who have went or were attempting to go from the novi 2.5K to the vortech YSi for that purpose. ECS and thier staff typically spend more time at the drag track then the staff at A&A. That's good because they test and develop and improve their kits there as well as help out customers who drag race. The A&A crew is also always spending countless hours and money refining their kits. Both company's have cars with thier kits in the 8 second range. Based on poles I've seen in the past on these forums there seem to be more people out there who have chosen A&A but that could be do too many reasons. I personally have an A&A Kit on my car with a YSi. If I had to buy an A&A kit all over again, I'd spend the money right off the bat for the YSi and just restrict it.

Both company's will try and sell you their own kits naturally if you were to call each one. However both company's are not opposed to installing the others kit at thier shop if that's what the customer wants. Go to each website, look at the details of each kit and see which one fits your budget for what you want then call each company and talk to them and see what you think and make your decision from there

Good luck!!

Post up if you have questions. I'll try to not be too bias.

Edit there's actually three centri blower kits that I'd put on my car but one is way out of my price range but that particular kit is indeed bad ***!! Dallas performance.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 01-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.
huh?

Why did my post get edited by a moderator? Did I sat something wrong?

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 01-09-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)
I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by longrodlx
That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so
joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
gcolella
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs94
joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.
I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

btw, our pricing actually isn't higher, it's slightly less when you compare the same kit to the same kit. It's just faster...

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gcolella
I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!
But you have no hair!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs94
their impellers explode like m80's
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speedraider
their impellers explode like m80's
They move a ton of air, no other head unit compares to powerdyne superior quality

Get notified of new replies

To School me on superchargers.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2003VETT
But you have no hair!!!
Good catch
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.
So if i got a bracket for a C5 i could put any head unit on it as long as the rotation was correct?
What I'm thinking is, if I get this V1 and bought a bracket, I could upgrade later down the road if i wanted?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.
My car is at A&A right now. I went with the standard kit in black. I have an automatic and simply don't want too much. Car needs to get me there and back without blowing things up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: School me on superchargers.