C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?

Based on pride of having something better or for some other reason, alot of guys don't care that the original was separated from the car!

For our cars, we have the original engine in one of our cars, we have the original engine still for the second car (but not in the car and it "in our lifetimes" will probably never go back in!), and for the 1964 it has all top shelf GM Performance Bowtie major components (block, crank, rods, heads, intake, cam), so we don't miss the original at all.

Its nice to have it, but matters little for some. Replies?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
qwik-tripp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1st thing I did when I purchased my 65 was remove the original engine and build another. With the quality,cost and availability of parts the hit for a non-original engine was not worth hurting the original one. Sure is easier to beat on it when its just another small block that has no real value, and lets be honest the original stuff is SLOW.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm of the opinion if it's still with the car sweet.. If it's not and there is still a 327 in there have at it and make as much horsepower as you can... Then again I still get a thrill when I can turn the steering wheel and the car goes straight.. BTW if you haven't experienced this than you need to go faster... lol
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

My car came to me with no motor which was just fine because I have a 427 that needs a home.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like any of them...original is a nice surprise if you have it but when it's gone it's gone and finding it later is like winning the lotto.

Most people looking under the hood wouldn't know the difference anyways...

I enjoy seeing a beefed up, tricked out, chromed out engine...maybe more than a plain jane original.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Could care less gave mine away.
It was stock slow and for sure worn.

Some do it for the worry of money which imo makes ownership WORK at that point. Its supposed to be fun-

I mean the car doesnt drive any differently if its the same size but a different motor

almost felt bad for a guy posting last week hes afraid to take his "original" motor over 3k because he was worried about blowing it up.

PAid HOW much for it, really?
Hey that sounds like fun!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Could care less gave mine away.
It was stock slow and for sure worn.

Some do it for the worry of money which imo makes ownership WORK at that point. Its supposed to be fun-

I mean the car doesnt drive any differently if its the same size but a different motor

almost felt bad for a guy posting last week hes afraid to take his "original" motor over 3k because he was worried about blowing it up.

PAid HOW much for it, really?
Hey that sounds like fun!
If you are looking to give away any other parts of your car, drop a note. I live close by, and will hustle right over. And I have a truck.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting the original 327 (fully dressed) and trans on a stand and dropping in a 427 and a 5 speed. The car will be more fun to drive and the engine will show nicely on the stand.

Last edited by EDinPA; 01-07-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

There are enough nit pickers & financial planners . The hobby needs drivers, not bankers, braggers, egos, or " not better than mine " altitudes. ( higher than an attitude ) It's a piece of engineering from long ago when points and carburators ruled the fringes of space. The design is great but screams mechanical updates. Original has a place ... but the guy looking for a nos fan belt and tag on a coil spring really needs to be exposed to the rest of the world.
Two of my four cars have the original drive trains. I know because my friend " the expert " checked. To me it means no one enjoyed them enough. I don't have anything for sale and plan on driving them till father time tells me different. At the estate sale the new teen age owner will drive it like he stole it replacing what fails...... the way Zora designed it.
* ps. My dog loves to ride also. The vinal hardly shows his nail scratches. It gives the interior character.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I do not give a damn about the original engines or other parts for these cars. I have drag raced these cars since 1966. I still have that first car and built it to a 1000 HP Pro Touring car. Tried to race it, kicked out for not enough "safety equipment". I did have a real roll bar.

After dumping almost 100 Gs in parts in the Pro Touring car, I decided to go cheap. Some of you are really going to hate this, I bought the best survivor car I could find ( the black car ) and made an Old School Street/Strip racer, just like I did back in the 60s, using the same parts removed from my old car. Lots of rare parts to some, are just waste to me.

Black 62 original engine, next owners problem.

Car when bought

Car now
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Let me break it all down in simple terms. The only thing that makes an engine original to the car is the little numbers stamped on the engine pad. With that I say who cares. The 66 I am doing now has the original Muncie and rear, the engine is gone. Do I care, nope in goes a 496 BBC. With my 69 Nova I have the original 350, I don't really care about that either. In fact I am building a 4.035x3.562 race motor out of it now. I guess you can say I'll have a numbers matching race car now. BJ here I come I now have an instant 100K car!

With the advent of high quality re-stamps numbers matching stuff is a watered down term the show and shine throphy goons throw around like badges of glory. Having the original motor means nothing to me but then again I build cars the way I want them to be not write a check for the car as an investment or a stauts symbol.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i don't care because i never had it...
Bill
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

This is why we have this website. I've had four engines in my car, each a little better than the last one and certainly not the original 283. NCRS performs a valuable function for some as a repository of history, but a few of their members do seem to go overboard and have forgotten that the reason for any vehicle to exist is for it to be driven.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

I am fortunate to have owned my car for almost 43 years. 1966 L-79 327/350 . I have put on the motor and car over 250,000 miles plus 46,000 from 1 st owner.

5 rebuilds later, it is still running, traveling the world. No it is not the fastest car in the world. But the feeling of driving the same car and engine for so long is like time traveling.

Having said that, what ever engine you have in the car, if it lets you drive , and drive and drive, then be happy , you are one of the few in this world that have one of the greatest looking cars ever made.

Jack
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Based on pride of having something better or for some other reason, alot of guys don't care that the original was separated from the car!

For our cars, we have the original engine in one of our cars, we have the original engine still for the second car (but not in the car and it "in our lifetimes" will probably never go back in!), and for the 1964 it has all top shelf GM Performance Bowtie major components (block, crank, rods, heads, intake, cam), so we don't miss the original at all.

Its nice to have it, but matters little for some. Replies?
Most ppl, aka "the market" does because original cars demand higher prices. If you don't care, then you reap the rewards for lower prices, on NOM cars.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I would very much like to have the original engine to my car, but I purposely bought a car with a NOM so I wouldn't be a slave to maintaining every correct date coded part on it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default I draw the line

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would very much like to have the original engine to my car, but I purposely bought a car with a NOM so I wouldn't be a slave to maintaining every correct date coded part on it.
Hi Dan,

I draw the line on numbers when it comes to some parts.

regulator correct cover, electronics inside (best upgrade ever)
Alternator, put one in that looks correct, but will run without problems
Starter, correct style but new
Water pump correct, just rebuild every few years
Pistons and cam lowered to 9+ and cam to match ,

But as said before, as long as you have an engine that runs and allows you to drive your car... great

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a 68 327 Vette motor in my 64 to go along with the non original color outside and a black leather non original interior. I have no worries. I would love to find the original motor just to say that I have it, however.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I am fortunate to have owned my car for almost 43 years. 1966 L-79 327/350 . I have put on the motor and car over 250,000 miles plus 46,000 from 1 st owner.

5 rebuilds later, it is still running, traveling the world. No it is not the fastest car in the world. But the feeling of driving the same car and engine for so long is like time traveling.

Having said that, what ever engine you have in the car, if it lets you drive , and drive and drive, then be happy , you are one of the few in this world that have one of the greatest looking cars ever made.

Jack

Mine is similar. Owned by one family (my father, now me), one rebuild on the engine and ~300k+ miles. Once I finish the work on it, it will be driven. A LOT.

I'd be happy with whatever is in it. Just because I have the original motor doesn't mean that I'm a slave to keeping everything proper for the time. I keep it running and that's all I care about.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

My original engine in my 1961 was probably replaced by 1970, so fuggetaboutit !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?