C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Chime ????

Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Chime ????

Trying to figure out the Door Chime and what it means???

Sometimes after the car has sat for awhile (overnight in the garage for example) and you open the door, you get the Door Chime,...sometimes there is NO Chime. It chimes at a quicker pace than other times when the Door Chimes. I can not figure out why or what it means. I've tried closing the door and reopening two to three times, but the chime continues. I've tried reaching in and cycling the light switch to see if that works. About the only thing I can do is start the engine and shut the door to get the chime to stop.

Any ideas??
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

same here
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

My 012 coupe did that a couple of weeks ago. I got out of the car and shut the door, but before the automatic locking could take place, I opened the door again. When I did, I got the continuous dinging, which quit when I started the car.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
Trying to figure out the Door Chime and what it means???

Sometimes after the car has sat for awhile (overnight in the garage for example) and you open the door, you get the Door Chime,...sometimes there is NO Chime. It chimes at a quicker pace than other times when the Door Chimes. I can not figure out why or what it means. I've tried closing the door and reopening two to three times, but the chime continues. I've tried reaching in and cycling the light switch to see if that works. About the only thing I can do is start the engine and shut the door to get the chime to stop.

Any ideas??
Go back to the dealer and demand an owners manual!!

When you exit the car and close the driver's door, the car waits a couple seconds and looks for a fob. If one of the antennas detects a fob, it thinks it was left inside the car. The next time you open the door, the chime will sound rapidly to alert you that a fob is (it thinks) inside the car. The usual culprit is the antenna located under the driver's side halo -- if you are standing near the back of the door with the fob in your pocket it may be detected and the car may think it is inside the car.

Explained in the owners manual you did not get.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Go back to the dealer and demand an

Better yet just follow the link from the FAQs section of this site and download the manual!!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

One point to stress is that the chime happens THE NEXT TIME you open the door. Last time a thread like this came up, it was difficult to get this idea across. So if you go to get in the car and the chime starts, it means that the car detected (either correctly or incorrectly) a fob that it thinks you left inside the car LAST TIME YOU EXITED THE CAR. For people who don't drive the car often, this could mean a week or two ago. With lots of time between events, it is not intuitive that they are connected....but they are.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Go back to the dealer and demand an owners manual!!

When you exit the car and close the driver's door, the car waits a couple seconds and looks for a fob. If one of the antennas detects a fob, it thinks it was left inside the car. The next time you open the door, the chime will sound rapidly to alert you that a fob is (it thinks) inside the car. The usual culprit is the antenna located under the driver's side halo -- if you are standing near the back of the door with the fob in your pocket it may be detected and the car may think it is inside the car.

Fantastic suggestion.

Now, in this owners manual does it explain why it doesn't do this chime sound every time?

Does it explain how to disable this inconsistent / unreliable function?

Thanks.

I asked the Dealer how to make sense of it and they were at a loss as well. The next time I go back I'll see if they can get me an Owners Manual.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

CaryBob,

Could you pass on what page in the owners manual this information is printed so I can look it up when I get the manual.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

There is no way to disable this 'unreliable function'. The way to keep it from happening is to try to make sure that the fob is not too near the door jam when you close the door. This could happen, as an example, if a person has little room to get out because of another car parked very close next to the drivers door. The person squeezes out and then closes the door while pushed up against the car. The fob is close enough to fool the system into thinking it might still be inside the car. Then 2 weeks later, when the C6 is next driven, the chime will be dinging and it will seem to be a mystery.

It doesn't surprise me that the dealer would not have a clue. Here's a link to the 2013 manual...much easier to search an electronic version...

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html

Last edited by cclive; 12-21-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

cclive,

Thanks!

Seems like a screwed up system / idea to me.

I get out of the car and shut the door just like I've been doing the last 45 years. I guess I've got a bad technique.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

CaryBob,

Could you pass on what page in the owners manual this information is printed so I can look it up when I get the manual.

Thanks
You can find it in two places: Page 2-10 in the 2012 manual: Lockout Protection. And Page 5-60 Fob Reminder.

You can disable the honking of the horn, as you have clearly done in the personalization of your car for the fob you ae using. You cannot disable the other half, the chiming upon reopening the door.

The simplest way to "disable" the cimes is to step smartly away from the car a distance of two or three feet upon exiting. Or carry the fob somewhere other than your righthand pocket. Or in some other way cause the fob to be a couple feet away from the antenna a couple seconds after closing the door. On the off chance that you actually do leave one of the fobs inside the car, remove it.

Last edited by CaryBob; 12-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting an electronic copy of the manuals make them easy to search on words like "chime".

I keep a copy of the manuals on my iPhone and iPad in the iBooks app, so they are always with me.

Look at the sticky for C6 FAQs at the top of the forum, which leads to manuals for each model year.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

CaryBob,

Thanks for the help.

I keep the key FOB in my left pocket. (I don't know why I'm suppose to do this but I read it here on the Forum someplace. I think it prevents something from happening but can't remember what.)

I haven't reprogrammed anything since we picked up the car upon delivery at the dealer. Not for sure what you're referring on the horn honking thingy. I haven't had a problem with that.

I've got a 2013 so I hope the manual is the same. Would be nice if I could get a 2013 Manual loaded on my iPhone.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Whenever this happens to me, I just press the ACC switch to on, and then to off, and the chiming stops. But the
above explanations are accurate--the car thinks a FOB was left inside the previous time one exited the car.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

CaryBob,

Thanks for the help.

I keep the key FOB in my left pocket. (I don't know why I'm suppose to do this but I read it here on the Forum someplace. I think it prevents something from happening but can't remember what.)

I haven't reprogrammed anything since we picked up the car upon delivery at the dealer. Not for sure what you're referring on the horn honking thingy. I haven't had a problem with that.

I've got a 2013 so I hope the manual is the same. Would be nice if I could get a 2013 Manual loaded on my iPhone.
See Chapter 5 regarding personalzation. Particularly the "Fob reminder" paragraph.

Get an electronic (pdf) 2013owners manual at

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...hip/Manualsand Videos/02_pdf/2k13corvette.pdf

www.chevrolet.com also has your infotainment system manual and you quick reference guide as pdfs.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Chime ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Chime ????