C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Need Front License Plate

In the 35 years that I have lived in the state of California, I have never put a front plate on any of my vehicles and have never gotten a ticket for it --- until today. While contractors were resurfacing my driveway I parked my 07 coupe on the street, and within 15 minutes an overzealous city parking patrol showed up and wrote me a ticket for no front plate. I guess with the economy going south they are really out there beating the bushes for revenue. Well, such is life. I can get it reduced to a $10 fine if I show correction, however I can't find the other plate. Has anyone in CA had that problem? I know the state will probably want to put me in leg irons and slap a lein on my house for such an egregious infraction, but just looking for some info. Can I get a new plate from DMV? I plan to call them, but just wanted to see if any of you had some input. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Yes, just tell them it must have fallen off or was taken. They may issue another plate (2) to give you all new registration numbers...since 'someone' may be using your lost plate. I live here too and keep my front plate in the back cubby for when I have to park on a public street. I just place it in my front window area.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You will probably have to get new or custom plates. You might be able to show the application for custom plates to the judge. That is pretty desperate ticketing a car parked in front of someone's house.

Options then are mount the stock mount to the front of the car, buy something like the Speed Lingerie bra with the front plate mount or an aftermarket mount such as Top Flight Pro's. Or risk getting a ticket again. After all you made it 35 years without one and it sounds like it was within 200 feet or so of your home.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for replies. I went to the DMV website and downloaded a form to apply for replacement plates, but there was no mention of how much they want to do this. Actually the car was parked directly in front of my house, about 10 feet from the driveway.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in CA also and I purchased a removable front plate mount on eBay because I didn't want to keep getting hassled nor do I want to pay the Corvette tax on other removable plate that is being sold. My eBay removable plate only cost $35 however I don't mount it but keep it in my trunk. When I get stopped, I just show them that my double side tape fell off and I am going to get a stronger tape to remount it. So far, it has worked.

Here is the eBay link that I purchased the removable mount if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281038320801...84.m1562.l2649

I think the seller is out east coast somewhere so it would take about 1 week to receive the mount (at least it took a week to get to me).
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you get pulled over for another offense the police or CHP aren't going to bother with a front license plate violation. But, the parking enforcement folks ALWAYS do. I received two license plate violations in Hollywood years ago on my Miata both given to me by parking enforcement when the economy was strong. After the second ticket I gave in and got a license plate bracket for it. The removable license plate bracket in CA is the only way to assure yourself you won't get a ticket...provided you remember to put it in place when parked on a public road.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

God I wish that CA front plate law would go away. Nothing destroys the look of a C6 more than a license plate stuck on the front of it.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell the judge the car was parked in your front lawn and not on the street, but you got a ticket anyways
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take your rear plate and put it in front. Temporary. Take a good picture and show the judge. :
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
God I wish that CA front plate law would go away. Nothing destroys the look of a C6 more than a license plate stuck on the front of it.
It DID go away... in ARIZONA!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
Tell the judge the car was parked in your front lawn and not on the street, but you got a ticket anyways
That's ticketable as well. Again, a ticket given out by parking enforcement. You have to be parked in a legally designated area even on your own property. It's designed to keep people from parking broken down cars all over the place.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Pay the ticket and consider it part of the driveway repair.
Have a martini and get a good night's sleep.

That is all.

But then I'm in Florida. We don't have these problems.
USAF
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

The "State" has nothing to do with your fines/ticket. Its the city you live in that gave you the ticket and will get your money.

The only involvement from the state will be dealing with the dmv. You will be issued 2 new plates (for a nominal fee).

I did get a no front plate parking ticket in Lancaster while parked in the court parking lot attending court with a friend who had been arrested. Cost me $45 and required correction. Only my C5 Z06 has a front plate attached, the C6's have no front plate (yet).

Get notified of new replies

To Need Front License Plate

Quick Reply: Need Front License Plate