C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Posting on Craig's List question

Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Posting on Craig's List question

It don't have to be a car, it can be about anything that you list on Craig's List in your posting up in the left cornner there is a section that Craig's List adds to every posting where people can FLAG your post and by doing so that removes your ad. Is there anyway to keep people from FLAGGING your paot? Bwlow is what the Craig's List Flag looks like. Anyway to stop it? my post keep gettiing flagged for no reason. There is no way to contact anyone on there to find out how to get it stopped.
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam
/overpost
best of craigslist
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Id say PM George(Black Magic) He would probably know.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

The whole Craigslist experiment is meant to be some sort of local community thing... That is why they haven't supported Nationwide searches.

They have wanted to keep it local, and their "flagging" is a tool that allows for Community Policing of the adds. Like on eBay, when somebody lists a MINT 58 Fuelie for $24K and that seller has sold absolutely nothing before... you can click the eBay fraud alert... its kind of like that, but more in house.

I don't think you can do anything to prevent flagging...

Oh... another thing. If folks are interested in your item, they can save your details, then "flag" the item to take it down, effectively preventing others from seeing it. Its pretty crappy to do.

As a seller, it helps to have lots of pictures, great/verbose description. That way folks are more inclined to think your ad is legit and not part of the Nigerian cartel.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

craigslist has a program in place for being a paid advertiser. It looks like it aint cheap?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help...sting_accounts
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
The whole Craigslist experiment is meant to be some sort of local community thing... That is why they haven't supported Nationwide searches.

They have wanted to keep it local, and their "flagging" is a tool that allows for Community Policing of the adds. Like on eBay, when somebody lists a MINT 58 Fuelie for $24K and that seller has sold absolutely nothing before... you can click the eBay fraud alert... its kind of like that, but more in house.

I don't think you can do anything to prevent flagging...

Oh... another thing. If folks are interested in your item, they can save your details, then "flag" the item to take it down, effectively preventing others from seeing it. Its pretty crappy to do.

As a seller, it helps to have lots of pictures, great/verbose description. That way folks are more inclined to think your ad is legit and not part of the Nigerian cartel.
with Revfan on doing anything to prevent Craigslist from flagging you. I have sold many items on craigslist, and never been flagged on any of my listings.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StingU2
with Revfan on doing anything to prevent Craigslist from flagging you. I have sold many items on craigslist, and never been flagged on any of my listings.
Well I figure that someone out there really like me and hates to see me sell anything so they think they are helping me out by not letting me adveretise and sell things. Boy are they
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not found a way to stop flagging either, I just repost the ad.

Probably someone that has a similar ad, but your product is priced better or is much nicer for less...

I get ads flagged once in a while, takes 2 minutes to repost & its free.

Sold tons of stuff on craigslist and will continue to use their serivce.

prefer face to face transactions in CA$H.....

PS as I have posted before never let anyone in your garage to scope out your goodies, only give them your address when they are in their car with it running and cash in hand.....AND NEVER ACCEPT PAYPAL - HUGE SCAM GOING THRU CRAIGSLIST......
Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Wait a minute... I think you can figure out if someone is legit or not... I use paypal almost exclusively... its the secret underground husband economy.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
I use paypal almost exclusively...Wait a minute... its the secret underground husband economy.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was just on Craigs List looking for a snow blower, saw the "flag thing" this is what it said:
Users may flag postings they believe to be in violation of craigslist guidelines, by clicking on one of the flagging links at the upper right corner of each posting:

miscategorized - wrong category/site, discusses another ad, otherwise misplaced
prohibited - violates craigslist Terms of Use or other posted guidelines
spam/overpost - posted too frequently, in multiple cities/categories, or is too commercial
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Old Vet
Racer

dang someone just flagged my ad for my 66 Chevy II nova....
Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

They flagged me 2 times today but I just repost. Just wish there was a way to stop it from happening.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Old Vet
Racer

dang someone just flagged my ad for my 66 Chevy II nova....
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Mike, thats me flagging you for not showing up at Carlisle with free beer. The good part of it is that when you repost you go to the top of the list.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Mike, thats me flagging you for not showing up at Carlisle with free beer. The good part of it is that when you repost you go to the top of the list.
There will free Beer in FL. at the NCRS Event in Jan. one per Forum member. That is all I need is to have Tyler on my butt for a bunch of drunken Corvette guys passed out in the swap meet area. I will have some very different kinds of beer very different. Make sure you all stop by.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default one free beer... c'mon man

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
There will free Beer in FL. at the NCRS Event in Jan. one per Forum member. That is all I need is to have Tyler on my butt for a bunch of drunken Corvette guys passed out in the swap meet area. I will have some very different kinds of beer very different. Make sure you all stop by.
Mike... I'll need more than one free beer if I'm going to haul my a$$ all the way to Florida from NE Indiana.

Bruce
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StingU2
Mike... I'll need more than one free beer if I'm going to haul my a$$ all the way to Florida from NE Indiana.

Bruce
OK Bruce you can have 2, but no more unless you have someone driving for you?
Just had 2 more of my post in the Detroit ares Flagged again.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Default Paypal Scam

The scam I have had presented to me is on craigslist ads whereas they text me on my phone from a long distance area code (although lots of people with cell phones don't always change their number when they move) in broken english language asking if the car is available?

SHortly thereafter I receive a lengthy text message (must be a script they are instructed to use in scammers school as it always is the same) and they offer full price and are confident that the item is in excellent condition and would come see it but they are on a boat somewhere without access to travel but still want it for their nephew. SHipping arrangements will be made and all they want is my paypal account to complete the transaction....

Usually these texts come in the late evening early am time of day (must be the time zone change in south africa?) so thats another tell. My new Iphone lets me setup a do not disburb time limit so I dont get disturbed at night any more but in the morning I delete all these suspisous requests.....

Read your paypal agreement closely...I only accept $500 deposit to paypal then balance is wire transfer to my bank account whereas I move it to another account once it hits...kinda crazy but it works and my banker tells me its not reveseable once the wire hits my account...

Of course cash is KING!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Old Vet
Racer

And of course nothing is shipped until the money is in my account and then money is moved again to another account!

This kinda sucks for the legit customer but they understand or they can go elsewhere.....

Get notified of new replies

To Posting on Craig's List question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Posting on Craig's List question