C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM
garym52
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?

Im considering doing away with the fuel vapor canister but I'm not sure what to do with all those lines. What do i do with the vapor return line from the gas tank? Any thoughts/experiences?

thanks,
Gary
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

why eliminate it?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Bad idea.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM
garym52
Racer

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
why eliminate it?
I'm having trouble finding a replacement/parts for it. I read something that said the cartridge needed to be replaced regularly.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never seen one of those changed, but there's a bunch on fleabay
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to know who the person was that says the cannister elements need to be changed regularly and what his definition of regularly is.

This past summer I split the cannister on my '80 - it was original. The charcoal was in great shape, but because I already had it apart I decided to rebuild it. The filters came from the local auto parts retailer. I just showed the guy at the counter what came out and he pulled "like" filters off of the shelves. The charcoal came from a pet store (fish tank water filter media). I spent under $25.00 to rebuild the cannister and I'll never have to do it again.

Like Mike says, bad idea to eliminate.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't mean to be a smart a$$ but just saying it's a bad idea doesn't teach us whom don't know why it's a bad idea that it is if that make sense Mine is disconnected and as far as i know there is no ill effect from it being so. can you please explain? thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Search the archives- this question has been beaten to death a hundred times.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Being the volatile liquid that it is, gasoline evaporates pretty much continuously as it sits in your car. The vapor recovery system condenses and reroutes someof that evaporation back to the fuel tank so it does not build up in... your battery box, or the back compartment, or under the hood where the sparks generated by your starter might cause ignition. Granted the probability of such an event is small, and the government mandated purpose is to limit HC emissions into the atmosphere, but it won't affect performance one bit, and might keep your interior from stinking of gas.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by markids77
Being the volatile liquid that it is, gasoline evaporates pretty much continuously as it sits in your car. The vapor recovery system condenses and reroutes someof that evaporation back to the fuel tank so it does not build up in... your battery box, or the back compartment, or under the hood where the sparks generated by your starter might cause ignition. Granted the probability of such an event is small, and the government mandated purpose is to limit HC emissions into the atmosphere, but it won't affect performance one bit, and might keep your interior from stinking of gas.
Thank you for the answer
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Don't mean to be a smart a$$ but just saying it's a bad idea doesn't teach us whom don't know why it's a bad idea that it is if that make sense Mine is disconnected and as far as i know there is no ill effect from it being so. can you please explain? thanks
It's a fuel vapor cannister. To put it in very simple terms, if you get rid of the fuel vapor cannister, what will happen to the fuel vapor? That's right, it will be released into the atmosphere. Why would you want that? Especially when you have a device that stores the fuel vapor, and then burns it off when the engine is started (if it's working properly).

Scott
Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Search the archives- this question has been beaten to death a hundred times.
If you don't want to answer my question cool don't but the search function is not user friendly and before you say that I just don't know how to use it I use google all the time with no issues
The following users liked this post:
gjjcvette (06-03-2021)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by garym52
Im considering doing away with the fuel vapor canister but I'm not sure what to do with all those lines. What do i do with the vapor return line from the gas tank? Any thoughts/experiences?

thanks,
Gary

Plug the line going to the gas tank. All the others remove and plug their sources at the carb and anywhere else.
The only cars I have had with one were unmodified ones. And the ones I have had without one have never exploded or went on fire. It is your car and you do as you want. Honestly I see no problem in removing it.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

If you don't want to answer my question cool don't but the search function is not user friendly and before you say that I just don't know how to use it I use google all the time with no issues

With some people on here this is normal. I agree to do a search on a simple question is a pain sometimes. Just start another thread and hope someone just comes along and gives a simple answer. Some also want to know why you are doing something and it is stupid if you do it that way, because their way is always right. Remember it is your car and do with it what you want.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 540 vette
With some people on here this is normal. I agree to do a search on a simple question is a pain sometimes. Just start another thread and hope someone just comes along and gives a simple answer. Some also want to know why you are doing something and it is stupid if you do it that way, because their way is always right. Remember it is your car and do with it what you want.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

You can use Google to search the forums also, just type in what you're looking for and then Corvette forum. There will be a few links and then a link that says "see more results from Corvette forum"
Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwank
You can use Google to search the forums also, just type in what you're looking for and then Corvette forum. There will be a few links and then a link that says "see more results from Corvette forum"
I have done that as well but it too can come up with a bunch of threads that you have to sift through, although it is a bit more precise. I just think it's more efficient to ask the question in a new thread, or even in a thread that someone else has started, as long as it pertains to the subject that is. If a forum member doesn't want to answer the question then don't! but it's not helping when you are told to do a search that is hit and miss (mostly miss). Are we not here to help each other?

Now that we are fully off topic I feel the need to apologize to the OP ... Sorry GaryM52, didn't mean to get your thread off topic

Get notified of new replies

To how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

As I understand it, the OP wanted to get rid of his system thinking that it needed some unobtainable replacement parts. All it needs is a new filter for the bottom- which is available at any car part store. 80baby answered the question well.

If someone wants to learn how the system works, GM published a pretty comprehensive description in their manuals. The system is not unique to Corvette or GM for that matter, pretty much universal across the industry.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 12-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of bad info in this thread. Return vapors to the tank??? And if you remove the system, you had better switch to a vented gas cap, or your if you block off those lines, your tank might implode.

The actual purpose of the system is to REMOVE gas vapor from the tank, and store it until it is pulled into the carb and burned off. This This is done so that the vapors are not released when the gas cap is removed.

This system is also the venting system for the gas tank. You can remove the canister, and block off all the lines, but if you do, vacuum will build up in your tank, unless you switch to a vented cap.

If I wanted to remove the system, I would remove the canister, the fuel separator, block of the outlet on the tank to the fuel separator, remove the lines from the carb, and switch to a vented gas cap.

But since mine is in perfect working order, I see no reason to remove it, and start releasing fuel vapor into the environment.

Last edited by Mashman; 12-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by garym52

thanks,
Gary
Some people remove it, plug the tank line and get a vented gas cap.
Myself, I just remove the carb line leave the rest intact with no gas smell in the garage. Others cut them apart and replace the charcoal.

I have done that as well but it too can come up with a bunch of threads that you have to sift through, although it is a bit more precise. I just think it's more efficient to ask the question in a new thread, or even in a thread that someone else has started, as long as it pertains to the subject that is. If a forum member doesn't want to answer the question then don't! but it's not helping when you are told to do a search that is hit and miss (mostly miss). Are we not here to help each other?
The forum would be a pretty dead place. Most questions have arisen in 10+ years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?