Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z16's

Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z16's

This is a two part thread, please respond to either or both.

I have always liked the 04 CE Z06. There were a ton made but for whatever reason I like them. I like the blue. I like what the car commemorates. I like the idea of a racing stripe. I like that it is the last C5. Aside from a top-down vert, I like the FRC/Z06 profile best.

Anyway, to my question... Does the striping on the Z16 look at all out of place to you? I can't figure it out but my eye isn't totally comfortable with it. I love the colors. I am not sure whether the shape of the stripe detracts from the shape of the car's hood or what it is. Does the stripe need to be longer? More pointed? Wider? Is it just right? For somereason I think the stripe changes the look of the front of the car in a slightly negative way... but I like the idea of the stripe. Hmmm???

Second part, I have the chance to buy a 10k mile Z16 for $25k. Even though there were a ton of Z16's made, they do seem to have a premium associated with them. The car I am looking at is totally stock. If I trade out of my vert I don't really want to give up the pleasure I have found in the hobby of modding my car. Would it be dumb to mod a 10k mile Z16? My car has over 60k miles and it is in great shape but I just don't feel quite as wrong modding a car with 60k+ mileage.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Louisiana Red
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy the Z16
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

just a zo6 with a marketing package, ok so it has some carbon fiber, big deal, love the darker blue but dislike the stripe, was set to buy one in 04 but dealer couldn't or wouldn't remove stripe so I passed and bought low mileage EB 03 zo6, best move I ever made...z16 prime example of chevy trying to make a collectible which is just another zo6 in my opinion, but as I say go with what makes you happy...good luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Randy I love the Z16's, probably my favorite C5!!!! Look wise I would only lower & get CCW's, besides that the car is perfect...IMO.

As far as trading your car, it depends if you want to give up the "Topless" factor. Again, love the Z16!!!

Also, mod the hell out of it...., I've never kept anything stock....purist hate me!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3318C5
Hey Randy I love the Z16's, probably my favorite C5!!!! Look wise I would only lower & get CCW's, besides that the car is perfect...IMO.

As far as trading your car, it depends if you want to give up the "Topless" factor. Again, love the Z16!!!

Also, mod the hell out of it...., I've never kept anything stock....purist hate me!!!
Yes, that is another big debate I have. I just can't decide if I could be equally as happy with a fixed roof. The best answer is that I just need a garage big enough to have multiple Vettes!!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Don't love the stripes, I don't dislike them, but it is part of the package. It is the "farewell" edition of the C5, just like the C3 Collector Editions of 82 and the Grand Sports of the C4. I feel that in itself will make it more desirable, but maybe not "collectible". I din't buy mine as an investment. I liked it, I bought it. I love the car.

2025 were made. I wouldn't call that rare, but it is not that many. Actually they made less of other color Z06's in 04, but the Commemorative Edition gives it a certain appeal. The little things like the seat embroidery, the polished wheels set it apart from the others.

As far as mods go, there were few things that dissapointed me with the car just as it is. Have you driven the Z16 or any Z06 yet? Having a C5 coupe as well, I am amazed at the difference between the cars. Totally unique experience. I have added a shorty antenna, a B&M ripper, some custom CE floor mats. Not going to do much more as of right now, maybe get the windows tinted and lower it a bit. And $25K for a 10K mile car is really a decent price.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Love everything about mine, seems like a great price for the one you are looking at, I say go for it!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The '04 Z16 is definitely one of my favorite C5s - and I love the stripe package that came on the car. If the car you are looking at checks out, go for it - a low mileage Z06 is a nice ride to have.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ron C!
I was in the same boat as you. Don't love the stripes, I don't dislike them, but it is part of the package. It is the "farewell" edition of the C5, just like the C3 Collector Editions of 82 and the Grand Sports of the C4. I feel that in itself will make it more desirable, but maybe not "collectible". I din't buy mine as an investment. I liked it, I bought it. I love the car.

2025 were made. I wouldn't call that rare, but it is not that many. Actually they made less of other color Z06's in 04, but the Commemorative Edition gives it a certain appeal. The little things like the seat embroidery, the polished wheels set it apart from the others.

As far as mods go, there were few things that dissapointed me with the car just as it is. Have you driven the Z16 or any Z06 yet? Having a C5 coupe as well, I am amazed at the difference between the cars. Totally unique experience. I have added a shorty antenna, a B&M ripper, some custom CE floor mats. Not going to do much more as of right now, maybe get the windows tinted and lower it a bit. And $25K for a 10K mile car is really a decent price.
Thanks Ron! Yes I think it's a good price but I love my NBM too. Regarding the mods, I have driven them and don't need to mod (none of us really "need" to). I just enjoy the game/hobby offs ding the car. I can't describe why but I think many of our folks can relate.

I would love to see your cars in Orlando one of these days. I replied to you in another thread but lost track of which thread it was so I didn't see a reply if there was one.

Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The '04 Z16 is definitely one of my favorite C5s - and I love the stripe package that came on the car. If the car you are looking at checks out, go for it - a low mileage Z06 is a nice ride to have.
Thanks Jack! It checks out and I want to do it but I am out of garage space. I'd need to either get rid of my Vette or store it outside or kick my wife's car out of the garage and she won't agree to having two vettes in the garage and two dd's outside, although it sounds awesome to me. Her DD happens to be a new Lexus IS vert so it really probably should be garaged since it is worth what both vettes combined are worth (sadly).
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Blackened
Advanced

Jax, I have to agree with much of what you said. The top down vert has the nicest looking profile of the C5s followed by the FRC/Z06. The stripe was also a bit of a disappointment for me but for a different reason. I thought that some of the CF hood would show thru, but it is a sticker instead. Unlike the ZR1 roof.
I would still pick it up, especially if you can keep both Vettes, as that is a good value.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Thanks Ron! Yes I think it's a good price but I love my NBM too. Regarding the mods, I have driven them and don't need to mod (none of us really "need" to). I just enjoy the game/hobby offs ding the car. I can't describe why but I think many of our folks can relate.

I would love to see your cars in Orlando one of these days. I replied to you in another thread but lost track of which thread it was so I didn't see a reply if there was one.

Thanks again!
Would love to meet up some day. Let me know if you get down to Orlando, will give you a shout next time I am up that way (Mom lives in Southside, sister is off 210 just west of 95). My coupe is now my daily and lives outside for what it is worth. My wife won't give up her spot either. Did your Dad ever pick up the C3?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Louisiana Red
Advanced

so are you going to buy it?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I also think the Z-16 is the nicest looking of the C-5 and yes GM should have taken steps to make it more 'collectiable', but they didn't - it is still a very distintive package and holding value.

To the OP, buy the Z-16, you'll love it!!! If you don't buy it please PM me contact info - I'm not sure I could resist another 10K Z-16 at that price!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Louisiana Red
Advanced

where is the Z?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Would love to meet up some day. Let me know if you get down to Orlando, will give you a shout next time I am up that way (Mom lives in Southside, sister is off 210 just west of 95). My coupe is now my daily and lives outside for what it is worth. My wife won't give up her spot either. Did your Dad ever pick up the C3?
Yes, please do let me know if you come this way. I forgot that your sister lived just 10 minutes from me here at Intl Golf and US1.

My dad did pick up a C3. Was it the white vert that you helped him with? Anyway, he has a '75 white vert and has done some nice work to it and it is coming along nicely. Just finished rebuilding the carb and she runs strong and sounds mean!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blackened
Jax, I have to agree with much of what you said. The top down vert has the nicest looking profile of the C5s followed by the FRC/Z06. The stripe was also a bit of a disappointment for me but for a different reason. I thought that some of the CF hood would show thru, but it is a sticker instead. Unlike the ZR1 roof.
I would still pick it up, especially if you can keep both Vettes, as that is a good value.
Yes, the vert profile is that of a jet or rocket ship

Also agree re the CF on the hood

Get notified of new replies

To Z16's

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Louisiana Red
so are you going to buy it?
LOL - I started the thread last night and it is 8:30 am now. I feel like I am being pushed by my local used car lot

Seriously, I will make a decision this week and will post if I don't buy it and let you and Conehead know where it is. It isn't presently listed anywhere but the guy has been trying to sell for a year and is now faced with dropping down to the 25 range.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

That is a great price for a 10K mile CE ZO6 (if in good shape). For reference, I bought my CE ZO6, in mint condition, with 2800 miles on at the time, for 30K. It now is just about to roll 10K miles, and I wouldn't sell it for that price!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Z-16, bought it with 3200 mile's and the Polished wheels set off! Thats a great price for a 10k Z-16 I wouldn't pass that deal up,,

Last edited by lxconv331; 12-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z16's