C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is a restomod

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Default What is a restomod

What is the general excepted definition of a restomod?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I don't think that there is one. Read http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-someday.html

Mike Coletta
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Could be a restored car that has been modified from the factory build?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna go with an old body with modern equipment. Shemp
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Over simplified....a modified from stock restoration.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was when the forum moderators were taking a coffee break...

"Rest - o - mod"
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
I'm gonna go with an old body with modern equipment. Shemp
I wish they had this option for the human body.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I thought it was a combo of "restored" and/or "modified", aka rest-o-mod. I guess the "mod" could also refer to "modernized" for most of them.

BTW Railwayman, the 70's "wild" flares etc. you refer to, were TOTALLY made for functionality. It was the only way to get bigger rubber and taller motors into the body shell during those years, as seen on all of the race cars from that era.

The wild flares, spoilers and paint jobs were eye-catching but did nothing to improve the performance or comfort. A restomod which puts today's technology under and inside a classic body style will probably not pass totally out of style. Prices are anybody's guess but it will depend on what a given buyer is looking for - an "original" or something easily drivable. JMHO
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
What is the general accepted definition of a restomod?
Fixt
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the general excepted definition of a restomod?
Restored vintage body appearance fitted with the latest technological advances!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

I asked this question for a couple of reasons. Since a few high end restomods brought high dollars I am seeing more and more cars advertised as restomods for sale. Some are completely re-engineered,with the very latest in technology in suspension,tube chassis,the very latest computer controlled motor and tranny combos,reshaped bodies,redesigned interiors with huge wheels that look like pieces of rolling art.They are easy to see that there has been a great deal of time and a huge investment money wise. But most of the cars that are for sale appear to have a warmed over older motor and a set of mag wheels and some added chrome.Then I read posts like"will restomods lose their value like customs" or something like that. There were all kinds of responses but no one really defined what a real restomod is. I think to lump some of the what is being advertised as "restomods" along with the really obvious high end cars is like calling a car with a new paint job and interior kit "restored".
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

A restoration with modern conveniences built in, but used too modestly in many situations.....The real good ones are almost completely restyled or refined from original....not my cup of shine though.....

Last edited by Ironcross; 12-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...-restomod.html

Like this, calling this car a restomod in the description I believe has hurt the interest in the car

I asked this question for a couple of reasons. Since a few high end restomods brought high dollars I am seeing more and more cars advertised as restomods for sale. Some are completely re-engineered,with the very latest in technology in suspension,tube chassis,the very latest computer controlled motor and tranny combos,reshaped bodies,redesigned interiors with huge wheels that look like pieces of rolling art.They are easy to see that there has been a great deal of time and a huge investment money wise. But most of the cars that are for sale appear to have a warmed over older motor and a set of mag wheels and some added chrome.Then I read posts like"will restomods lose their value like customs" or something like that. There were all kinds of responses but no one really defined what a real restomod is. I think to lump some of the what is being advertised as "restomods" along with the really obvious high end cars is like calling a car with a new paint job and interior kit "restored".
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...-restomod.html

Like this, calling this car a restomod in the description I believe has hurt the interest in the car
Just one example of many
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

If you really want to know what a Restomod is, do a search on "Definition of Restomod" and read all the definitions from the many sources and Car Fourms.... Bottom line it's the old "What came First, the Chicken or the Egg... Might as well be debating that subject as it subjective.

The answer is simple, "Chicken came before the egg" if you believe in Creation.

Same with Man if you believe in the Constitution of United States that says, "All Men are created Equal". The Baby didn't come before Man and Woman as "All Men are created Equal". They are the product of the mating of a Man with a Woman.

Money doesn't make the Man as believed by some politicians now days.

Money only make Taxpayers, while lack of money makes Slaves if you promise them a Government check to live off of... Greece proved that when the Government Slaves revolted when their checks got cut...

Back to Subject:

Here is one I found that best defines a Restomod. My car doesn't fit either one. Came close on one of them, but I didn't have to take a 2nd Mortgage on my house, or max out my credit cards. I used my Goverment checks to do it...

RestoMod: you build the car using a reasonable monthly budget

Pro-Touring: you have second mortgage on our house and max out your credit cards to build the car

PS: Time to go back to watching the "Western Channel" were Good Guys still win, and Bad guys always lose, instead of the other way around...

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 12-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

What puts the biggest smile on my face!

Restomod = new motor w/computer control + new modern transmission + new chassis with modern suspension geometries + new comfortable seats + A/C + optional stereo + beautiful wheels > 16" in diameter + low profile tires that plant as much rubber on road as possible + bad *** disc brakes front and rear + paint that you can see yourself in with no blemishes = lots of money = what Mike Coletta or Rich Lagasse or Poorhouse built

A restomod is not a car that had a motor displacement upsize nor one that had a stronger 4 speed transmission or fender flares or stock suspension geometry still under the car or torsion bars added or coil over shocks......that is a modified car.....

Get notified of new replies

To What is a restomod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is a restomod