C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

installing aftermarket alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing aftermarket alarm

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on here has ever put an aftermarket alarm(with remote door locks) onto their c4, in particular an 84. Is this something I can do or should I be bringing this to a shop? thanks for any help!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You don;t have the VATS so its not a huge deal..DO make sure whatever you buy, will be compatable with the GM system..if you have one. I forget what exactly was installed in 84...VATS did not come around until 86 IIRC..
I've seen keyless entry, remote start, all the toys.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done a couple of car alarms way back when, never on a Corvette though. They can be a PITA to install, and if something goes wrong the alarm "engine cut off" down the road. If you have patience, a wire diagram, and take your time you can do the install yourself and you'll end with a MUCH better install than any of the shoddy work I've seen from Alarm/Stereo shops. There are A LOT of wires in a C4, and the interior trim pieces are old (brittle) so great care must be taken.

Ask yourself: do you really need an alarm system?
Then ask: do I really want somebody working on my Vette?

Last edited by DanZ51; 11-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ51
I have done a couple of car alarms way back when, never on a Corvette though. They can be a PITA to install, and if something goes wrong the alarm "engine cut off" down the road. If you have patience, a wire diagram, and take your time you can do the install yourself and you'll end with a MUCH better install than any of the shoddy work I've seen from Alarm/Stereo shops. There are A LOT of wires in a C4, and the interior trim pieces are old (brittle) so great care must be taken.

Ask yourself: do you really need an alarm system?
Then ask: do I really want somebody working on my Vette?
Lol... I think you just changed my mind for me. I have had an alarm just sitting in my house unopened for years. But now that you mention it... no... I don't really need an alarm at all, just kind of wanted it for the remote door locks. Thanks for talking the sense into me!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is the theft deterrent for the 84..

Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Here is the theft deterrent for the 84..

Any opinion on the effectiveness of this factory system?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

factory good, i use the horn on my aftermarket, no siren so an intrusion sounds the same. I had a shop install it years ago and the brittle plastic broke everywhere< i got over the pain, it didn't help those aholes didn't give a $hit.

VAT can be problematic, buy a defeat bypass or reburn the prom chip

aftermarket will give you keyless entry and hatch release, engine off door unlocking, flashing light ( this is a good one) and shock sensor and of course the siren if you prefer.

as far a piece of mind, the stock one will do the trick, but the aforementioned features will modernize the old vette

I use a club the flashing light I broke dicking with the interior work one day.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

You have a factory alarm system, I don't think 84 had an anti-theft system though.

Get notified of new replies

To installing aftermarket alarm

Quick Reply: installing aftermarket alarm