C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody HPDE there C6 with a Centri?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody HPDE there C6 with a Centri?

I'd like to know if anybody HPDE's there Centi powered C6. Like to here pros and cons if any. I'm getting ready to upgrade my 07 C6 A6.
If I go Centri I'll stay in the 6psig range. The car is a DD with 50k on it.

Thanks

Last edited by V4kerker; 11-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...kins-glen.html
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

good luck with the heat issues, been there done that. everything will burn up under the heat of constant high rpm including your wallet.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by mdk
good luck with the heat issues, been there done that. everything will burn up under the heat of constant high rpm including your wallet.
mdk was that with or without upgraded cooling and vented hood?
I'm upgrading my cooling this winter due to heat issue running stock set up.

Last edited by V4kerker; 11-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't even consider a power adder for a HPDE car.
Hard enough to keep things cool in the summer heat when the cars are NA.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
mdk
Racer

I have the world challenge hood, Dewitt's radiator, modified front fascia with direct ducting to inter cooler. everything had heat shields on it.
you will be OK the first few events you do, but as you progress your car will be close to red line for twenty minutes straight on a road course. You can run a couple hot laps then a couple cool laps or leave it to the street is my suggestion.
good luck
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdk
Only if you have a garbage setup. I beat the living hell out of a 364ci/A&A Ysi setup on the road courses for the last two years. 900+ rwhp all day every day. No heat issues at all. A properly setup engine makes a big difference. Constantly between 4500 and 7200rpm.

Sounds to me like something in your setup was not correct if you had issues.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Only if you have a garbage setup. I beat the living hell out of a 364ci/A&A Ysi setup on the road courses for the last two years. 900+ rwhp all day every day. No heat issues at all. A properly setup engine makes a big difference. Constantly between 4500 and 7200rpm.

breecher_7 what do you run for your cooling needs. I know with more HP one will have more heat. I'm thinking with FI one could run the car in a higher gear and bring down the RPM's to help with engine oil temp issues. I think the coolant temps would be OK with a bigger radiator.

Just a guess.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The way I see it you can short shift and keep the rpms relatively low and still have the power because of the blower.
Ill be tracking my car with an E-Force this summer and thats what I plan to do.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
mdk
Racer

Sounds like you have figured it out, I'm sure Katech doesn't build garbage though. I wonder why everyone that road races doesn't use Centris, what group do you run with? Sounds amazing, love to see it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I beat the living hell out of a 364ci/A&A Ysi setup on the road courses for the last two years. 900+ rwhp all day every day. No heat issues at all. A properly setup engine makes a big difference. Constantly between 4500 and 7200rpm.
Race fuel or meth? A WW tank of meth isn't going to last a 20-30 minute session on a road-course from my experience.

I'd be curious how your lap times compare to a stock or slightly modded Z. My guess is that the extra power of the blower doesn't buy much in terms of overall lap times as the most you're going to pick up in the straights is a second or two which is easily offset or lost in the turns.

For a road-course car my strong preference would be NA. Less weight on the nose of the car, less likelihood of heat issues, unlikely to chuck a belt if you miss shift, etc.

Now, for a drag race car or freeway monster all bets are off. That's where power adders really shine.

Just my .02 after having twin turbos, a ProCharger, an E-Force, and NA combos on a mix of C5 and C6s.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mdaniel
Race fuel or meth? A WW tank of meth isn't going to last a 20-30 minute session on a road-course from my experience.

I'd be curious how your lap times compare to a stock or slightly modded Z. My guess is that the extra power of the blower doesn't buy much in terms of overall lap times as the most you're going to pick up in the straights is a second or two which is easily offset or lost in the turns.

For a road-course car my strong preference would be NA. Less weight on the nose of the car, less likelihood of heat issues, unlikely to chuck a belt if you miss shift, etc.

Now, for a drag race car or freeway monster all bets are off. That's where power adders really shine.

Just my .02 after having twin turbos, a ProCharger, an E-Force, and NA combos on a mix of C5 and C6s.

I will completely agree that a n/a combo is more suited and would most likely lead to less problems and faster lap times but my point was that its possible to run forced induction without issues if you feel the need and are willing to spend some money on your cooling system (both coolant and oil). You are absolutly correct about a washer fluid reservoir not lasting a 30 min track session, especially with a dual nozzle setup. What I did was relocate the battery to the trunk and build a custom 3 gallon tank out of .090 stainless sheet to replace it. Runs through about 2.5 gallons in one session. Road America has some long stretches where you can really lay into it.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

i have heard of a few poeople HPDEing their ZR1s whats the difference and they seem to work ok... are people saying that a Z06 with the same suspension setup would be faster than a ZR1 around a track? I would have thought the extra grunt (torque) and greater flexability of the ZR1 would have been a easier package to drive quickly. Might not 'feel' as fast though...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably depends on the track. One with long strights would favor the higher power car even if it's a little more weight. Remember there is a lot of engineering to get these cars ready for sale to the public, a lot of engineering us aftermarket tweakers don't take into account. The factory doesn't sent the cars out with week tunes on purpose, but they need it to be reliable in all types of conditions. Sure it can be done, but not without thought being put into all aspects of the package.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The intercooler will block the radiator causing your coolant / oil temps to soar. If you don't mind sand bagging / pulling-in to do cool-off laps it should be ok. The PD blowers usually run a heat exchange that isn't as bad as the centri A2As but LG still had issues with heat on their modified ZR1.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ysb02
The intercooler will block the radiator causing your coolant / oil temps to soar. If you don't mind sand bagging / pulling-in to do cool-off laps it should be ok. The PD blowers usually run a heat exchange that isn't as bad as the centri A2As but LG still had issues with heat on their modified ZR1.
Yea but that thing was a BEAST!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Didn't realise they had issues! My thinking was more than heavy supercharged cars like the gt500 can be made to lap tracks for full 20min + sessions relatively easily. Yet it seem s really difficult to keep the vetts cool. I k ow the gt500s have move front end to let the air in which is probably the key issue!

But then people like AVB have run Two. Turbo (PTK) cars and had success. Guess it's often down to the environment the cars are in.

I would love to see someone use a centi with one of LPEs new integrated chargecooler manifolds maybe with a rear mounted Heat exchange and see how that worked. There has to be an engineering solution to the problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody HPDE there C6 with a Centri?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Going to have to disagree, PD blower cars will heat soak on a road course. I have seen it time and time again by data logging runs, they will have to pull timing and will loose power from my experience. I have data logged several 30 min sessions in a 364/A&A YSI 900+whp car and have seen ZERO heat soak and operating temps never got even close to dangerous. Proper oil cooling and engine cooling is a must, but with the right radiator and oil cooler and combination of fans, it can be done.

Thats my experience with a high powered centri car on the track.. No issues.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Didn't realise they had issues! My thinking was more than heavy supercharged cars like the gt500 can be made to lap tracks for full 20min + sessions relatively easily. Yet it seem s really difficult to keep the vetts cool. I k ow the gt500s have move front end to let the air in which is probably the key issue!

But then people like AVB have run Two. Turbo (PTK) cars and had success. Guess it's often down to the environment the cars are in.

I would love to see someone use a centi with one of LPEs new integrated chargecooler manifolds maybe with a rear mounted Heat exchange and see how that worked. There has to be an engineering solution to the problem!
PD blowers like the GT500 will heat soak and the factory tune is very very very well done and very very very tested so it pulls timing and no boom. The amount of testing they do to these cars isn't repeatable in the enthusiast area. You get less power but that's better than a rod through the block or a smashed piston. The problem is once you change anything (more boost/power = more heat) the entire system isn't designed to cope with it and heat builds up very fast. You can swap out parts like a bigger exchange / more water volume / meth injection but in the end it's a bandaid to fix a very serious engineering problem.

Last edited by ysb02; 12-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

PD blowers like the GT500 will heat soak and the factory tune is very very very well done and very very very tested so it pulls timing and no boom. The amount of testing they do to these cars isn't repeatable in the enthusiast area. You get less power but that's better than a rod through the block or a smashed piston. The problem is once you change anything (more boost/power = more heat) the entire system isn't designed to cope with it and heat builds up very fast. You can swap out parts like a bigger exchange / more water volume / meth injection but in the end it's a bandaid to fix a very serious engineering problem.
There are guys that are running 3.6 ltr kb blowers pushing out well over 800rwhp and running road causes for full sessions. I can post links if needed! They do run liquid cooled blowers, upgraded HEs and radiators though. I guess there is just more airflow with the gt500s than the vetts!

Thinking about it you only have x amount of air entering the front of the car, and On the vette that's not a great deal, to do all the cooling duties. So it docent matter what you put first or how bug it is compared to the other cooling bit the same amount of air has to cool it. The only way you can get more cooling is get more air through the front (fans??) or find another air source. Some cars stick the radiators at the rear of the car. This would be great but I have never seen this done on a vette.

AVB ran a PTK turbo setup on his c5 and that worked for him. He did v mounted the intercooler / radiator and a lot of other cooling mods.

Quick Reply: Anybody HPDE there C6 with a Centri?