C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Disclaimer: Running without a front plate, for aesthetic reasons, is a violation of law in 2 plate states, and I acknowledge the legal risk of doing this.

Since I purchased the Vette in ‘09, I’ve passed staties, county police, big city po-po, sheriffs, all without incident. Last week, I received my first missing license plate ticket.
Oh, I always knew it could happen, but it was the circumstances of the ticket that got me steamed.

There is a podunk little town in my metro area well known for 60% of the municipal budget coming from traffic citations. The city has been ranked in the top 2 or 3 highest top traffic ticket towns in Missouri. They are known for hiring LEOs that are shiny new, or LEOs that have employment problems with larger, more professional departments. The last police chief was a controversial figure, acquitted in civil cases of sexual misconduct and tried on a misdemeanor charge of employing an unqualified officer.

Last week I was in a hurry to get to a client, and took the shortest route - forgetting I was passing through traffic revenue enhancement central. So when I was pulled over I was perplexed at first. I was doing 34 in a 35mph, good driving habits, etc.

So this baby LEO walks up. He told me why I was being stopped. Ok, got that. But he returns with an electronic ticket with a fine schedule. “Unsecured load” $112.00!! WTF?!!
Then I lost my temper, and without swearing, I told him that he was nothing more than a uniformed tax collector. Having recently read in the local paper an article about another of their officers that lost his license, I pointed asked baby LEO how long he thought he was going to keep his license! ! I could tell that last comment hit the mark! What could he say but a terse “Have a nice day” and stomp off!

The rest of the day I was as I thought about a missing front plate citation being written for a more expensive “Unsecured load” violation. (About a 40% increase in fine $$) After the 2-day waiting period, I called the court clerk to find out what the court costs were for fighting a ticket. Yes I was polite - the court clerks have a thankless job.

Guess what? When I mentioned I was planning to contest a expensive “Unsecured load” charge on a Corvette, she “checked on something” and said the charge was now a “Missing license plate”! Now you all know that was not because of my sterling performance. You all KNOW that court challenges are not handled over the phone - by clerks! Someone in the office may have figured that they were not going to get a fine for an idiotic violation.

In conclusion, I paid the proper fine for a missing plate the next day, and will not drive the Vette through that municipal revenue trap again. But it was what the first egregious violation the officer tried to charge me with, and the general unprofessional conduct of the entire municipality that is a sad issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Happens all the time (ticketing for "no front plate") but in your case, I might have been tempted to plead not guilty & have the LEO justify "unsecured load" in traffic court. I know, I know....sometimes it's just not worth the hassle & that's what a lot of the local traffic courts count on.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't even know what you're crying about..
Just pay the fine.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Don't even know what you're crying about..
Just pay the fine.
You don't read very well, do you?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

yes, I know what you mean...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

"Unsecured load" .............. Priceless. That has to rate as the worst piece of paper written. Talk about abuse of power.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I've owned my Vette for a year now. I've gotten 3 speeding tickets already, all of at least 20mph over posted speed.

You pay to play indeed, and all I do is go to the DAs office prior to the court date and plead to a non-moving just to avoid the insurance increase.

However, in your case I would have considered that jack-*** cop's unsecured load ticket a gift and would have definitely fought it. I would have been pissed as well.

And for those on here that are always like "blah blah blah pay the fine..." it's a freaking discussion forum. Let the folks vent for Chrissakes.

Good Driving to all...

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Disclaimer: Running without a front plate, for aesthetic reasons, is a violation of law in 2 plate states, and I acknowledge the legal risk of doing this.

Since I purchased the Vette in ‘09, I’ve passed staties, county police, big city po-po, sheriffs, all without incident. Last week, I received my first missing license plate ticket.
Oh, I always knew it could happen, but it was the circumstances of the ticket that got me steamed.

There is a podunk little town in my metro area well known for 60% of the municipal budget coming from traffic citations. The city has been ranked in the top 2 or 3 highest top traffic ticket towns in Missouri. They are known for hiring LEOs that are shiny new, or LEOs that have employment problems with larger, more professional departments. The last police chief was a controversial figure, acquitted in civil cases of sexual misconduct and tried on a misdemeanor charge of employing an unqualified officer.

Last week I was in a hurry to get to a client, and took the shortest route - forgetting I was passing through traffic revenue enhancement central. So when I was pulled over I was perplexed at first. I was doing 34 in a 35mph, good driving habits, etc.

So this baby LEO walks up. He told me why I was being stopped. Ok, got that. But he returns with an electronic ticket with a fine schedule. “Unsecured load” $112.00!! WTF?!!
Then I lost my temper, and without swearing, I told him that he was nothing more than a uniformed tax collector. Having recently read in the local paper an article about another of their officers that lost his license, I pointed asked baby LEO how long he thought he was going to keep his license! ! I could tell that last comment hit the mark! What could he say but a terse “Have a nice day” and stomp off!

The rest of the day I was as I thought about a missing front plate citation being written for a more expensive “Unsecured load” violation. (About a 40% increase in fine $$) After the 2-day waiting period, I called the court clerk to find out what the court costs were for fighting a ticket. Yes I was polite - the court clerks have a thankless job.

Guess what? When I mentioned I was planning to contest a expensive “Unsecured load” charge on a Corvette, she “checked on something” and said the charge was now a “Missing license plate”! Now you all know that was not because of my sterling performance. You all KNOW that court challenges are not handled over the phone - by clerks! Someone in the office may have figured that they were not going to get a fine for an idiotic violation.

In conclusion, I paid the proper fine for a missing plate the next day, and will not drive the Vette through that municipal revenue trap again. But it was what the first egregious violation the officer tried to charge me with, and the general unprofessional conduct of the entire municipality that is a sad issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Rock Hill?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

dam cops !
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would have been nice and then fight it. Chances are the judge is corrupt also though.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Tom45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have just given an example of a small town that cannot raise enough money by taxing the few people that live there so they find other ways to do it such as traffic tickets on people passing through. They may be ticketing people legally (pehaps borderline legally), but they are not giving anyone a break.

You would have also probably gotten a ticket if you were one mile over the speed limit, didn't use a turn signal or any number of minor things. From what you said, I am also guessing that they have an area on the main road where where the posted speed limit drops very quickly (speed trap) and they just sit and wait for unsuspecting people.

I know it is frustrating, but it was a relatively inexpensive lesson learned.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
When was the last time you saw an 'UNSECURED LOAD' on a Corvette? He is complaining about the abuse of power not the fact of getting a ticket for no front plate. He got pulled over for one thing and written for something completely different. It would be like jaywalking and getting a sentence for bank robbery. I have never had a front plate on any corvette and don't plan on it. I carry my extra plate with me but no way to mount it.

Have a great day.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM
2thousand2
Instructor

Bella Villa?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
sxs191
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ignorance; lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.

I don't see how the OP is ignorant of the law being he gave the disclaimer before his story. If anyone is ignorant (based on the definition of the word) it is the LEO.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The front plate law is the dumbest one on the books. The only thing the plate is good for is revenue from tickets.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And that would help the streets stay safer how?? Or would it just make your cop ego get even more inflated?? Or did you take an oath to enforce the law to a greater extent on those that speak down to you?

And you wonder why voters are cutting your pensions?

Get notified of new replies

To Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

No matter what ticket he got, you wanna play you gotta pay..

This is how I run my car so as to not see if I have a plate or not.. Its worked so far and I Was just pulled over a fe weeks ago by Barney Fife and no ticket

Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2thousand2
Bella Villa?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The front plate law is the dumbest one on the books. The only thing the plate is good for is revenue from tickets.
Actuallt it helps get you speeding tickets..
The police use your front plate to get a radar reading and without one it makes it harder to get you ....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shameless fine for missing front plate.