Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Need wheel information

Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wheel information

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone in here can help me out identifying these wheels and maybe giving me some information on them.

There 17x9.5 all around with an offset of 54. From what I've found so far they were a wheel made by ARE? Not sure how correct that is.

Thanks a bunch!
-Nikki

Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 333 Posts

......... ARE ( American Racing ) 190's ... that's the first gold set I've seen ... they are typically natural aluminum / silver .... the spacers - adapters are for mounting them on '84-'87 vettes ..........
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Originally Posted by C409
......... ARE ( American Racing ) 190's ... that's the first gold set I've seen ... they are typically natural aluminum / silver .... the spacers - adapters are for mounting them on '84-'87 vettes ..........
Thanks! And the adapters are actually to mount them to an Audi. I'm planning on buying these today to put on my Volkswagen. I'm currently running sawblades on it now.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
A few months ago I bought a set of these (all aluminum) from a member on this forum. They look great on my '85.

I had a clicking sound that turned out to be the centercaps. I sent an email with pics, then called ARE, but the guy there knew nothing about them. I suspected they were ARE's because I found a picture of the excact wheel with an ARE emblem on the center cap online.

The clicking sound was fixed by moving the center caps around to different wheels. Still puzzles me.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Originally Posted by TimV SR
A few months ago I bought a set of these (all aluminum) from a member on this forum. They look great on my '85.

I had a clicking sound that turned out to be the centercaps. I sent an email with pics, then called ARE, but the guy there knew nothing about them. I suspected they were ARE's because I found a picture of the excact wheel with an ARE emblem on the center cap online.

The clicking sound was fixed by moving the center caps around to different wheels. Still puzzles me.
Was there maybe a little stone stuck under the cap? I've had that happen to me before.

Anybody know of an approximate worth of these? I don't want to pay more if I could get them somewhere else. I planned on possibly taking this picture to the corvette dealership that's right next to my shop and see what they have to say about them.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikfrevr
Was there maybe a little stone stuck under the cap? I've had that happen to me before.

Anybody know of an approximate worth of these? I don't want to pay more if I could get them somewhere else. I planned on possibly taking this picture to the corvette dealership that's right next to my shop and see what they have to say about them.
You pretty much need to determine their value to you! If you "clip a curb" or otherwise damage one to the point of not being repairable the likely hood of finding a replacement is "slim to none". Same with the center caps. He's wanting to sell and you're looking to buy, I'd say it's how badly you want them VS how badly he would rather have your money!

Do you mind sharing the asking?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You pretty much need to determine their value to you! If you "clip a curb" or otherwise damage one to the point of not being repairable the likely hood of finding a replacement is "slim to none". Same with the center caps. He's wanting to sell and you're looking to buy, I'd say it's how badly you want them VS how badly he would rather have your money!

Do you mind sharing the asking?
The wheels are mint. He wants $300 for them. I'm not necessarily looking to buy. Definitely don't need another set of wheels after I just spent $1000 to put sawblades on my car.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 PM
DHobbs
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! And the adapters are actually to mount them to an Audi. I'm planning on buying these today to put on my Volkswagen. I'm currently running sawblades on it now.
... volkswagen? I think I need some pics lol
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DHobbs
actually, Vette wheels on newer Volkswagons is getting quite popular now a days. The Scca racers find it a very good upgrade.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Originally Posted by DHobbs
A lot of people in the Volkswagen community do this actually. So much that its considered "played" mainly they put on sawblades and salad shooters. We like how wide the wheels are.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wblades-Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

From your link!

I've seen many that look like this:

That DOES NOT get it!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

From your link!

I've seen many that look like this:

That DOES NOT get it!!!
We have to run a stretched tire on the wheel for it to fit and clear our struts/coils. My current setup is 205/45/17s on my front 8.5 wheel. In order for it to clear in the front I had to put a 33mm thick adapter. My rears are 215/45/17 on my 9.5" wheel. I'm running a 38mm wide adapter
Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

Mine.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Mine.

I do believe the "saw-blade" or the "salad-shooter" wheels look good on the cars I've seen and they would look so much better if the tire was a fit.

The "optimum/suggested" rim width for both your tire sizes is 7" I believe and if I liked the Corvette wheel look I'd go to the expense of getting the wheel "narrowed" for a "fit"!

The 8 1/2" machined "saw-blades" should be fairly inexpensive to buy I'd think. Try your 215's on the 8 1/2" - I believe you'll be much happier with the look maybe!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Nikfrevr
Cruising

I do believe the "saw-blade" or the "salad-shooter" wheels look good on the cars I've seen and they would look so much better if the tire was a fit.

The "optimum/suggested" rim width for both your tire sizes is 7" I believe and if I liked the Corvette wheel look I'd go to the expense of getting the wheel "narrowed" for a "fit"!

The 8 1/2" machined "saw-blades" should be fairly inexpensive to buy I'd think. Try your 215's on the 8 1/2" - I believe you'll be much happier with the look maybe!
Nope we purposely stretch the tires not only to fit on our car but also so we can go lower. We like the way it looks. Yeah I know.. It's stupid lol. Guess its just a vw thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Need wheel information

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need wheel information