Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Default C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual

Aisin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info from LSX-tv.com

Last edited by VNAMVET; 11-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Asin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info.
And that info is where?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Asin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info.
Awesome avatar. I wonder how many commanders Betrayus relieved for the same things he did?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
And that info is where?
Sorry, my bad....... its on LSX TV.com/news/c7-corvettegetting placeholder-8-speed-auto.

Info was just received via cell phone message.

According to Motor Trend, GM has found itself in a bit of a bine regarging it's next generation transmissions for the up coming C7 Corvette. Their own in-house units is not quite ready yet, so the General has outsourced the work to Aisin.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by You_Vette_Your_Ass
Awesome avatar. I wonder how many commanders Betrayus relieved for the same things he did?
......time for a new one........he's toast.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What country is Aisin out of?

-Alex
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Which is worse? A one-year Aisin eight-speed unit, or a one-year carryover GM six-speed unit?

.Jinx
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Which is worse? A one-year Aisin eight-speed unit, or a one-year carryover GM six-speed unit?

.Jinx
i have read great things about this Lexus (Aisin) 8 speed .
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
Another GM screw-up that is a no-win situation. If the Aisin is fabulous, people will whine for years that they couldn't get it. If it is crap, people will whine for years that they were forced to get it. The first year whammy is going to last forever on CF!

As to the old C6 tranny, that assumes the existing tranny could be modified in time to fit the new engine, chassis, etc.

Neither option is good, especially from a marketing standpoint.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
What country is Aisin out of?

-Alex
Toyota owns a 51% interest, so it may be Japan. The Lexus IS F uses an Aisin 8 speed

Last edited by VNAMVET; 11-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's an article on the ZF 7-speed manual that they built for Porsche:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012...-20120511.html

Fascinating fact: On Porsche's implementation, the engine shuts off as soon as you shift into neutral and release the clutch.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

If the Aisin is fabulous, people will whine for years that they couldn't get it. If it is crap, people will whine for years that they were forced to get it. The first year whammy is going to last forever on CF!
I won't speculate on the future, but if the Aisin 8-speed is indeed the transmission used in the Lexus IS-F that I had, it was without question fabulous. As far as I knew, the 8 speed auto in my Lexus was "Lexus made" but I never looked into the outsourcing of it. This much I can say, Lexus only used that 8-speed auto in the LS series and the IS-F, the latter was tuned for performance with 100 ms upshifts, throttle matching blips for downshifts, it was very very crisp, slick and fast! The IS-F has a 5.0L 416hp V8, with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. It was very very close in speed of shifts to the BMW M3 with its 6 speed DCT dual clutch transmission, yet retained nearly imperceptible shifts when in the "Auto" mode. I think the only tranny that could top it for all out performance would be a BMW DCT, Porsche PDK or GT-R, yet I'd bet the house none of those can approach the smooth shifting refinement, quiet operation or reliability of the Lexus 8-spd when in full "Auto".

Last edited by Reciprocal; 11-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Qweklain
Racer

I like the idea of both of those, but as BlueOx mentioned, this really seems like a bad move on GM's part. I am hoping this is just a rumor!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Lexus IS F transmission quote

By far my favorite aspect of the IS F however - and I can't believe I'm about to say this - is the automatic transmission. Not because it has eight gears - but because it's the closest thing to a dual personality gearbox currently available. Forget the sequential manuals. They're great in manual mode, but bad in auto mode. The dual clutch systems are better, playin' automatic very convincingly, but they disappoint in manual mode with a less-than-smooth getaway. The IS F gearbox utilizes its torque converter straight off the line for smoothness, and then locks out second through eighth gears to feel like a true manual. And its shifts in manual mode are amazingly quick, with an audible "beeeep" alerting you to pull the paddle back just before you tap into the rev limiter - very cool. This is truly one of the best gearboxes in the world.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

7 speed review in 911

The seven-speed manual shift pattern is that of a six-speed but with the seventh forward gear up and to the right; it is of no use beyond its function as a tall, fuel-saving ratio for highway cruising. The gates are very tightly spaced way over there, so Porsche blocks out seventh electronically unless you first select fifth or sixth. People will reflexively complain about electro-nanny tyranny, and some forum poster somewhere will surely tell you how to disable the lockout, but that would be silly.

That’s because, unlike GM’s one-to-four skip-shift, which exists solely to help the car’s fuel-economy test numbers, this lockout is for driver convenience. Porsche found in testing that it was far too easy to accidentally select seventh when you’re intending to upshift into fifth. As soon as you get fifth, the lockout deactivates. After probing its function a few times, we ceased to notice it. The Carrera S still accelerates up hills in seventh, but the base Carrera probably won’t do so much quicker than water.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BMWDAD
Lexus IS F transmission quote

By far my favorite aspect of the IS F however - and I can't believe I'm about to say this - is the automatic transmission. Not because it has eight gears - but because it's the closest thing to a dual personality gearbox currently available. Forget the sequential manuals. They're great in manual mode, but bad in auto mode. The dual clutch systems are better, playin' automatic very convincingly, but they disappoint in manual mode with a less-than-smooth getaway. The IS F gearbox utilizes its torque converter straight off the line for smoothness, and then locks out second through eighth gears to feel like a true manual. And its shifts in manual mode are amazingly quick, with an audible "beeeep" alerting you to pull the paddle back just before you tap into the rev limiter - very cool. This is truly one of the best gearboxes in the world.
One can only hope that the folks in Toledo, Ohio, will get their poop in a group and start producing the GM version sooner!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Fascinating fact: On Porsche's implementation, the engine shuts off as soon as you shift into neutral and release the clutch.

That feature can be deselected.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

ZF did the C4 ZR-1 transmission, if I'm not mistaken. It's centuries ago, so I guess it's just a fun fact.

I still can't figure out why I need 7 speeds. Not that I've tried very hard.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
That feature can be deselected.

It's too bad that deselection couldn't occur on the order form.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Another GM screw-up that is a no-win situation.
What's the alternative? The GM one is not yet available, and they don't want to send a new car out with an outdated transmission.

There isn't anything I've seen that says they can't stick with the Aisen unit if it works well.

Well, there is one alternative. Buy a manual. It's a sports car.

Michael

Quick Reply: C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual