C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Input Deciding Between A 2005, and 2008

Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
CTSV
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input Deciding Between A 2005, and 2008

Probably the number one lurker of this forum, been here for getting close to three years, with no posts. Always had GM products, hence my username, but used this forum as a resource, and to dream. Time to stop dreaming, it's Corvette time.

Trading in my 2007 Escalade and getting a Corvette.

Current Corvette I'm looking at now:

http://www.hendrickchevroletcadillac...-NC/1866578083

UPDATE: No longer considering these two thanks to your guys' input!
I'm down to a 2005 manual with 63K, and a 2008 with the 6.2 obviously, with 87K. They're within $1000 due to the mileage difference and also the 2005 has navigation and HUD; both nice features, but I can live without, and upgrade to navigation later.

Having driven the 6.0 for many high performance miles, and the 6.2 in my Escalade, I love them both, so no loss in my book in terms of one being a must-have, but of course the 6.2 is more powerful and whatnot.

I know it's only 14K miles different between them, but what are your guys thoughts on a 2008 with that many miles? My 2007 Escalade has 130K on its 6.2 and the motor is great, but I'm looking for specific issues to the Corvette that I may run into with the '08 as opposed to the '05, and mileage based issues. It takes me two years to drive 14K, which knowing me, is longer than I'll have it, so 14K miles is a lot to me.

Yes I've lurked and done research here, as well as all over the net. Just want to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
27198 for the 08
26847 for the 05
They end up so close because there is a little bit higher cost associated with shipping the 2005, but both will be shipping in.

EDIT 2:
Just found out both are one owner vehicles (at Carmax for sale though).

That's how I usually buy my high mileage vehicles, one owner!

EDIT 3:
Current Corvette I'm looking at now:
http://www.hendrickchevroletcadillac...-NC/1866578083

Last edited by CTSV; 11-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

What is the price of each?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It really depends on what your willing to pay. Most people will tell you to buy the newest car, with the lowest mileage in your price range.
Here is a link so you can see what you can get for approx prices.

http://www.vmrintl.com/makes.htm

Hope this helps
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

We need the price, but I wouldn't buy either of these 2 unless well under $20k
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Not only age, but tires too.....New shoes can be $1,500 Plus. Make sure you turn the wheels to the locks so you can inspect the wear on the inside. My tires looked good till I saw they were very worn on the insides.

Also do you know if the miles are highway? Can you speak to the previous owners or find out who they are?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
What is the price of each?
27198 for the 08
26847 for the 05
They end up so close because there is a little bit higher cost associated with shipping the 2005, but both will be shipping in.

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It really depends on what your willing to pay. Most people will tell you to buy the newest car, with the lowest mileage in your price range.
Here is a link so you can see what you can get for approx prices.

http://www.vmrintl.com/makes.htm

Hope this helps
Great link, never seen it before, thanks.

I agree, less mileage, newer year is better. I've just never had a problem buying high mileage GM stuff, as I used to work for Cadillac, and like I said, have 130K on a 2007 Escalade, had 150k on a 07 Tahoe, still have 160+ on 2004 CTSV, etc etc for about six more GMs. I just don't know if the Corvettes hold up in the higher range, as I've never had one.

My price range would have to be less than or at 30K TTT out the door. Otherwise I'd proceed with my other plan to just buy something cheap for the meantime like a G35 coupe, but it's only money and I can't take it with me.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
We need the price, but I wouldn't buy either of these 2 unless well under $20k
I'd buy both if they were under 20K. Maybe I'm wrong or not looking in the right places, but I've never seen a C6 under 20K, ever. Think maybe I saw one for under 20K with like 140K miles on ebay.

Originally Posted by JKbride
Not only age, but tires too.....New shoes can be $1,500 Plus. Make sure you turn the wheels to the locks so you can inspect the wear on the inside. My tires looked good till I saw they were very worn on the insides.

Also do you know if the miles are highway? Can you speak to the previous owners or find out who they are?
I'm a service manager at an independent shop so it'll get the good one two look over
Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

IMO the '08 is priced about right. The '05 is high for that mileage. Probably should be closer to $23K.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Thanks EVRose. These are both through Carmax resulting in a little bit higher prices; I rarely buy from dealerships, only bought 3 or four cars through dealerships just due to the costs, B.S. fees, etc. But I am determined to buy through Carmax because their warranties they offer with the car through CNA (the warranty company) are the best in the industry. I'm a service manager at a shop and we work with them daily, and they are bar none the best warranties in the game, so I'm willing to pay retail markup and THEN more for the warranty; that's how good they are.

Keep the input flowing gentlemen!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CTSV
27198 for the 08
26847 for the 05

Great link, never seen it before, thanks.

I agree, less mileage, newer year is better. I've just never had a problem buying high mileage GM stuff, as I used to work for Cadillac, and like I said, have 130K on a 2007 Escalade, had 150k on a 07 Tahoe, still have 160+ on 2004 CTSV, etc etc for about six more GMs. I just don't know if the Corvettes hold up in the higher range, as I've never had one.

My price range would have to be less than or at 30K TTT out the door. Otherwise I'd proceed with my other plan to just buy something cheap for the meantime like a G35 coupe, but it's only money and I can't take it with me.
Both are very overpriced.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I'd buy both if they were under 20K. Maybe I'm wrong or not looking in the right places, but I've never seen a C6 under 20K, ever. Think maybe I saw one for under 20K with like 140K miles on ebay.:
They are asking almost as much as I paid for my 25k mile loaded C6.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Fair enough Never-Enough, that's good input. Did you buy from a dealer or private? I'm always scanning the private car world, just having trouble finding any manuals local to me in my range.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Thanks EVRose. These are both through Carmax resulting in a little bit higher prices; I rarely buy from dealerships, only bought 3 or four cars through dealerships just due to the costs, B.S. fees, etc. But I am determined to buy through Carmax because their warranties they offer with the car through CNA (the warranty company) are the best in the industry. I'm a service manager at a shop and we work with them daily, and they are bar none the best warranties in the game, so I'm willing to pay retail markup and THEN more for the warranty; that's how good they are.

Keep the input flowing gentlemen!
I bought my fully loaded '05 from Carmax 2 years ago for the same price as that '05 and mine had 40K miles. And I agree, they do have good warranties. They just paid all but $300 of my harmonic balancer replacement.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

CTSV, I will echo the rest. Neither one of those is anything resembling a good deal. I sold my '05 with 50k miles last year for $28k. And I was $70,000 into that car. Full Z06 drivetrain, widebody, cam/valvetrain/full bolt on, coilovers, wheels, DSV Leather / Carbon interior appointments, and fully loaded.

MUCH much better deals can be had. There are low mile '05s around in great shape in the low 20's. However, with that said, I would RUN, NOT WALK from a high mileage '05. Trust me and many others who tell you that while not ALL '05s are lemons, there are simply too many of them out there that have too many first-model-year flaws, and out of warranty, are more headache than they're worth.

If you find one that's been fully sorted, however, as mine was, with all the '05 bugs gone and worked out, feel free to go for it. But I would say at your budget (mid-upper 20's), you should EASILY be able to weed through and find a 30-40k mile '06-'07 in good shape with healthy options.

Hell, a dealer in Texas just let a flood of brand new 2012's go for 34,995 in another thread on here. Keep your eyes peeled.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Thanks guys, you're telling what I don't want to hear, but need to hear

The hunt is definitely one. And new 2012 Corvettes for 35, sign me up.

Any further input is still welcome, but sounds like I'm going to stop being in a rush due to excitement, and wait it out for the right one!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have owned a '05 and presently have an '08. Putting aside mileage and $$, I have found the '08 to have better handling (tighter steering), more responsive in performance, but also worst gas mileage. FYI- They both were M6 with Z51 package.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, you're telling what I don't want to hear, but need to hear

The hunt is definitely one. And new 2012 Corvettes for 35, sign me up.

Any further input is still welcome, but sounds like I'm going to stop being in a rush due to excitement, and wait it out for the right one!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-34-995-a.html

That's Les Stanford. Now, granted, there's a $3k incentive to buy included in that price for "Corvette Loyalty" if you already own one. But honestly, you could go buy a burned up scrap C4 shell for $50 bucks, drag it home, and title it in your name. There you go, owner loyalty.

He may have sold all those, but as we near the C7 release, other dealers will be looking to unload their new leftover C6's as well. Like I said, keep your eyes peeled! Happy hunting, man!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Input Deciding Between A 2005, and 2008

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Fair enough Never-Enough, that's good input. Did you buy from a dealer or private? I'm always scanning the private car world, just having trouble finding any manuals local to me in my range.
My car was on consignment at a local Corvette shop that also sells Corvettes. Just buy my A6 car.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

........ However, with that said, I would RUN, NOT WALK from a high mileage '05. Trust me and many others who tell you that while not ALL '05s are lemons, there are simply too many of them out there that have too many first-model-year flaws, and out of warranty, are more headache than they're worth.
IMO that's a bunch of baloney. Any C6 can be plagued with problems no matter what year it is even right off the showroom floor. There are no more problems on '05's than any other year C6. Besides, a higher mileage car would most likely have any problems fixed by then.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM
CTSV
Cruising

Originally Posted by EVRose
IMO that's a bunch of baloney. Any C6 can be plagued with problems no matter what year it is even right off the showroom floor. There are no more problems on '05's than any other year C6. Besides, a higher mileage car would most likely have any problems fixed by then.
I will give that statement some credence. I have heard more about the 05s, and this is a handy guide: http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

You'll see most issues are 05-06 or 05-07

Nevertheless, ANY issues a Corvette has pale in comparison to the issues your standard low performance run of the mill BMW has, which is the environment I work in now with service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Input Deciding Between A 2005, and 2008