C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headers worth it?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Headers worth it?

I have a 96 LT4 stock with 42,000 miles on it. I have considered replacing stock exhaust manifolds with SS headers and hi flow cats. I would like to do work myself but not sure if added power gains would be worth the cost or hassle. Anyone make the swap and notice difference?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

The ratio would depend if you purchase.. the typical high priced LT based parts. ! Corvette ! = big markup
If you purchases something like OBX. get the same results and save lots of money. It could be worth it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Headers greatly improve the mid range and top end power, it knocked over half a second of my quarter mile time.
That is worth the bitching from women that their feet are hot
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a complete Stainless Works system on my 92 with an LT1 and it really woke her up.
Long tube headers, cat delete, x-pipe, chambered mufflers, and square tips.

Had mine JetHot coated to keep under hood (and under floor) temperatures in check.
Yes, it was worth the cost.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni
I put a complete Stainless Works system on my 92 with an LT1 and it really woke her up.
Long tube headers, cat delete, x-pipe, chambered mufflers, and square tips.

Had mine JetHot coated to keep under hood (and under floor) temperatures in check.
Yes, it was worth the cost.
nice looking ride!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
I have a 96 LT4 stock with 42,000 miles on it. I have considered replacing stock exhaust manifolds with SS headers and hi flow cats. I would like to do work myself but not sure if added power gains would be worth the cost or hassle. Anyone make the swap and notice difference?
I would say since you have and LT4 that likes to make power on the upper side of the RPM range, YES.....but ask yourself if you want to modify your LT4 equipped Vette.......for me it was a no brainer to mod an 85......no frills in stock form.........
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You may pick up @ 10-15hp and that may not be at peak power, but your benefit may be power improvent across the entire rpm range. Not sure how tight everything is on the LT4, but if it like the L98, there may be some cutting involved on passenger side to get the LT's to fit. If you intend to keep the car close to stock, you may want to keep the stock shorties, which do have good flow characteristics already, and just focus on a high flow cat and mufflers.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM
bsmutz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a seat of the pants improvement from just getting high flow mufflers put on. Not much, but a little. Of course, mine's not an LT4, so YMMV.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Just for the sound, it would be worth it. Everyone has their own sense of values. Spending a grand or two may be worth it for a track car it the gains were a couple of tenths. For a street car, some would consider it a waste.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

The change in sound will provide some of the perceived performance increase. Often, people end up disliking the add resonance (sound)...especially on the hwy -- if you're peak "tuned-exhaust" reasonance point is near your cruising rpm.

My experience is that LT engines are much more friendly in this regard. IOW, the results are rarely annoying. But, it's a remove aspect to consider. (With may require further expense/correction if you're not happy with the esoterics of the sound.)

Power, cost, and satisfaction are purely subjective -- varying from person to person. If you're a grunting Tim-the-Toolman-Taylor type, I think you'd be happy with the header addition. If you're more like Al, you may not. It won't be night/day difference which is why one of your first comments said to pick a lower cost option.

Or, just be satisfied with what you have -- considering it's better that you're avg mom/pop ride.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Headers worth it?
Yes
Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

It depends on your wallet and what you want out of the car.If you arent going to do a dyno tune after the install then will not get the full benefit.

I would say go with the longtube headers,high flow cats,and a Corsa catback.Nothing will sound better and there will be no annoying interior resonance.
As for brand of longtubes that is up to you.OBX is likely the best bang for the buck but may/may not require a little massaging to fit.I had good service out of my stainless works and a friend had equally good results with exotic muscle/melrose headers.
No matter what keep the stock manifolds,cats,and entire exhaust system for resale value on a 40k mile car.
You can save money on cheaper mufflers but I had no luck with resonance and I tried a bunch until I got the Corsa.
With headers,exhaust,tuneup,and a tune I would expect an honest 15hp and 20tq at the wheels.
Consider at least cutting the lid on the stock airbox and maybe a K&N air filter to increase the breathing ability.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES for Long Tubes! When you consider the money spent and power gains received, intake and exhaust additions are excellent places to start.
Stick with the basics unless you want to spend big money on heads/cam or supercharger upgrades. Our headers easily connect to your factory catback for simple installation.
Click Here for View Instructions

Stainless Works long tube design is top of the line horsepower. Made In the USA we use high quality 304L stainless steel that is also Made In the USA. Everything is fabricated and tig welded by hand.

Link to View Headers Online

Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

back to ratio to performance

Great looking product! no Doubt.

lets face it. Performance to value ratio. OBX brand 304 stainless, excellent welds, Limited Lifetime Warranty.
you can purchase examples.
(1) OBX LT + H pipe back + tune
(2) OBX LT + Throttle body + a convertor
(3) OBX LT + high flow cold air + a Tune
(4) OBX LT + performance cam + a tune

The made in America is so OLD these days. example quality wise. "German" made parts are UN-touchable.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-29-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
The made in America is so OLD these days. example quality wise. "German" made parts are UN-touchable.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

all aboard ha ha ha ha..

PS
Notice the OBX welds around the outside of the flange.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Be sure you get 1 3/4" primary tube long tube headers & 3" collectors. You will want these for your car to breathe right - especially if you want to support future mods. The LT4 is a screamer.

American racing headers offers a top quality package for lt1 headers, x pipe, cats (with or without) in various primary tube sizes including the
1 3/4" which will serve you best.

A couple of manufacturers, for reasons unknown to me, make 1 5/8" headers for the LT1 corvette - yet they make 1 3/4" long tube headers for the LTx f-body....okaaaay.....

The 1 5/8" are for the stock to mildly mod'd L98 guy's (more focus on low RPM TQ and less rpm at redline).

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers worth it?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Dizz

Lol stand still.. what kind of a rant are you talking about??? last time I knew there wernt any bearings in headers??? Or opti sparks built from any foiegn country.. the topic is performance to value.. ok so what you just said about works headers there is no performance gain.. hmmm only American racing headers will net a gain??? Ought Ohhhh.. we are taking about stainless tubing.. its honestly not were the parts are made its the. Pride quality control & standards.. GM most of there parts are made all over the globe.. so quick sell your vette.. ps Ohh no. the designer zora is Belgian. The Corvette has a bunch of German made parts. You may want to choose a different sports car..
LT headers will gain.. even 1-5/8 you can always put the high performance manifolds back on

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Dizz

Lol stand still.. what kind of a rant are you talking about??? last time I knew there wernt any bearings in headers??? Or opti sparks built from any foiegn country.. the topic is performance to value.. ok so what you just said about works headers there is no performance gain.. hmmm only American racing headers will net a gain??? Ought Ohhhh.. we are taking about stainless tubing.. its honestly not were the parts are made its the. Pride quality control & standards.. GM most of there parts are made all over the globe.. so quick sell your vette.. ps Ohh no. the designer zora is Belgian. The Corvette has a bunch of German made parts. You may want to choose a different sports car..
LT headers will gain.. even 1-5/8 you can always put the high performance manifolds back on

No, that rant belongs in off-topic the main point im trying to make is 1 5/8" is not ideal for the OP's car.

He wants 1 3/4" w/ 3" collectors. Especially if he has any plan for future mods.

Now, if you have an L98 with mild cam, stock TPI intake, then 1 5/8" will suit you fine.

For the record, c4 corvettes didnt have any 'Chinese' parts on it that im aware of. ZF imported a very well reputationed german transmission on the 89 thru 93 models and thats not a part im worried about.

The issue is the AC Delco replacement parts that you pay top dollar for at 'the stealership'. Despite these parts being sold in an AC Delco box, they arent the same NOS OEM part that came with your car.

Im not saying the OBX headers arent good quality. Ive never seen a pair. Im more worried because I think they are 1 5/8" and not 1 3/4" like the OP will want with the freer flowing lt4 heads.

Generally chinese parts arent known for quality.... (though if im buying a pack of 100 coat hangers then what do I care?)

Check out the play in this 'made in china' throwout bearing:

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

No doubt that TOB should be thrown right in the trash.. that is a disgrace..
I will make any part myself.. within reason.. I could spend months on it if need be.. just my time is involved.. point understood.. the OP does not have any mods listed besides a stock LT4
As of right now 1- 3/4 - 3" would not gain much more then using 1-5/8
Wow!!! the AR headers are way to much.. great looking again.. value to performance wise another loss.. I would call OBX have them make 1-3/4 if you need all out racing headers.. I never said foreign parts are best. But I do know when they do make excellent products!!! Again built with pride, quality control & standards

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 10-30-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers worth it?