Sponsored by:

1977 to 1972 Bumper Conversion

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
ezrider01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 to 1972 Bumper Conversion

Hello...
I am in the process of a complete 1977 restoration project. I am looking for some input on the idea of converting my 1977 front and rear bumpers to those of the 1972.

Why you may ask? No reason other than the look.

So...is there anyone out there that has done this or has knowledge of it being done? I am wondering if this is even possible and at the end of the day, will the cost of doing so...put this idea out of reason.

Just by my first looks, I see the rear safety bumper monster would have to be removed for the flatter '72 bumper/cover. Does the '72 have a similar assembly behind its cover? what about the front?

Does anyone know about any kits that might be available as well?

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do a search and you are likely to find similar threads. Converting rubber bumper cars to chrome pops up frequently but is not actually feasible. There is much more involved than it may look.

You could purchase the 1977 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the 1972 AIM and compare the two installations. Almost everything between the two types changed when the crash bumpers were phased in.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ez,
IF you have to buy all the parts, (even used), and were able to do the extensive body work required yourself, the cost would still be many thousands of dollars.
You would probably be off completing your restoration, enjoying your 77 for a while, and then move to a 68-72 car in the future if they continue to strike your fancy.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Josh / SUPERPOWERS has been actively working on developing such rubber-to-chrome bumper conversions, tho from what I've seen his focus has been primarily on the rear.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Josh / SUPERPOWERS has been actively working on developing such rubber-to-chrome bumper conversions, tho from what I've seen his focus has been primarily on the rear.

Please do not provide non-supporting vendor commercial links. (I could not find this vendor- if he's a SV, let me know and we can re-post this)
--------------
Supporting vendors pay for the considerable bandwidth charges on the Forum, making it free for the rest of us. In exchange, they get the privilege of using the Forum to market and promote their goods and services. Historically, we allow them to post in the generation sections and the regional sections to market and promote their products/services.

Forum members are welcome to sell a Corvette or Corvette parts they purchased for their own personal use. They also are welcome to use the Forum to purchase items for their personal use. Anything else is considered to be a commercial sale or a commercial purchase for the purpose of re-selling. Please check the sales rules regarding eBay sales and links:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...eir-parts.html

Members are not prohibited from mentioning it when they have a good (or bad, for that matter) experience with a non-supporting vendor. But such mentions cannot be so specific (address, phone number, e-mail address, URL, price, part number, offer to send contact information via PMs, etc.) or so frequent that they become marketing and promotional references.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 10-03-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: NSV website
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM
ezrider01
Advanced

Easy Mike, thanks you pose a great idea for getting (me) a better idea of whats involved...I am figuring it will be extensive.

Alan 71, you too provide a valid point which makes a lot of sense...I have always been interested in those earlier models.

Thanks all for your inpts and ideas.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM
ezrider01
Advanced

The rear could be a good start...I will follow up with them...thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM
ezrider01
Advanced

WOW!!!!
Josh seems to have something going on there. Thanks for the link...I have sent them a contact request.

Thanks again to you all...will keep you posted where this takes me!
Old 10-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Pzark
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Retro fitting a chrome bumper rear end onto a later model year car and have it blend in seamlessly involves more than bolting on a different bumper cover. Yes you can buy one but it does look like a chrome bumper imitation fastened to the back of the car. Just take a look at some of the pictures. The guys going that route want the look without cutting their car body. To blend one in would involve some modification to the lower rear fenders as the witness lines are different and you will need the bumper side attachment accommodation which is part of the body adding on, so you need to figure that out, also the rear side marker lamps really need to be repositioned. Frame wise once you remove the impact bumper hardware you have little strength in the cross member running across the frame rails. The early cars are just as bad. The distance between the bumper cover and frame cross member is less on the later car so to attach the chrome bumpers you will need to be inventive making attachment hardware but it can be done. As stated the seamless approach is involved and will require some body work experience especially cutting your car body. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzark
Retro fitting a chrome bumper rear end onto a later model year car and have it blend in seamlessly involves more than bolting on a different bumper cover. Yes you can buy one but it does look like a chrome bumper imitation fastened to the back of the car. Just take a look at some of the pictures. The guys going that route want the look without cutting their car body. To blend one in would involve some modification to the lower rear fenders as the witness lines are different and you will need the bumper side attachment accommodation which is part of the body adding on, so you need to figure that out, also the rear side marker lamps really need to be repositioned. Frame wise once you remove the impact bumper hardware you have little strength in the cross member running across the frame rails. The early cars are just as bad. The distance between the bumper cover and frame cross member is less on the later car so to attach the chrome bumpers you will need to be inventive making attachment hardware but it can be done. As stated the seamless approach is involved and will require some body work experience especially cutting your car body. Good luck which ever way you go.
You do realize this is a 7 year old thread.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Pzark
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

It just popped up on my email as a new reply, weird🧐

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 to 1972 Bumper Conversion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1977 to 1972 Bumper Conversion