Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Pad Installation

Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dash Pad Installation

I used the search feature for this...but the are so many conflicting opinions about he ORDER to put the pads back in....

This weekend I will be starting the re-installation...Woohoo!

Dynamated and pretty much ready for the dash

I would think Top, Left, Center, Right....but some say otherwise....

Any opinions and reasons why ? Things I should watch for ?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This works for me: Install the top pad and speakers and tie it down. Driver's side next with everything which goes with it. Make sure you hit everything because the intent is not to have to come back here. Moving right, the center cluster is next, including the stereo. Continue working to your right until you've buttoned up the passenger's side.

You could install the front carpets before you tackle the dash if you want to.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
This works for me: Install the top pad and speakers and tie it down. Driver's side next with everything which goes with it. Make sure you hit everything because the intent is not to have to come back here. Moving right, the center cluster is next, including the stereo. Continue working to your right until you've buttoned up the passenger's side.

You could install the front carpets before you tackle the dash if you want to.

Thanks Mike

That's the way I pictured it...and GOD NO - I don't wanna go back in there EVER again

Sounds like this weekend is gonna be FUN !

I can install the steering column after all the dash - yes ?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is quite the mess of wires you have there. Glad to see there are some tags on them. I'd forget where they go in about an hour. Good luck putting it back together. How was the job?
I'm looking at doing new carpet this winter and possibly taking the dash apart but I'm not sure yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottw
That is quite the mess of wires you have there. Glad to see there are some tags on them. I'd forget where they go in about an hour. Good luck putting it back together. How was the job?
I'm looking at doing new carpet this winter and possibly taking the dash apart but I'm not sure yet.
Ya know....I tagged some of it....and some of the tags have come off but the other day when I was laying the Dynamat, I sat in the driver's area and started looking at the mess of wires. A huge amount of it is just light bulbs....not so hard to figure out....then I would grab another wire....and I was like "Oh....this clips here....and this is for this..."

After about 5 minutes of looking I know where "most" of it all goes....

Huge project - YES.
Do-able - YES

If I can do it....anyone can!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I always put my dash pad on last simply because it is so much easier to reach in from the top to plug in wires and speedo/tach connectors when you can actually see them.
But maybe that's because I'm old and don't like standing on my head anymore.

Since you don't want to be going back in there any time soon, I hope you installed some LED's in the dash.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Raphiki
I always put my dash pad on last simply because it is so much easier to reach in from the top to plug in wires and speedo/tach connectors when you can actually see them.
But maybe that's because I'm old and don't like standing on my head anymore.

Since you don't want to be going back in there any time soon, I hope you installed some LED's in the dash.

LEDs - you bet !

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MrJlr
...I don't wanna go back in there EVER again ...
Understood.

Originally Posted by scottw
...I'd forget where they go in about an hour...
The assembly instruction manual shows where/how everything plugs up.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MJ,
I think it's a good idea to start but not tighten all the screws as you progress through the sequence. Then when every thing's in place and aligned, you can tighten them.
I also found that for me it was better to put the shifter console and e-brake console in place before the center gauge cluster. The 2 consoles sometimes need to be moved backward or forward to get the angle of the gauge cluster just right. Then I put the right side dash pad in place.
I think it's also a good idea to put the kick panels in place when you're putting in the left and right pads since the panels have a 'tongue' that slides into a 'groove' in the pads.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just reinstalled my dash recently. By far the hardest part was the drivers side dash. The main thing I learned, is just like everything else, if you have to force it, you are doing it wrong.

I had a heck of a time with it until I realized a couple of things. These may be year or convertible specific, but I realized that the main dash harness, and the trip reset cable had to go in a specific way. I remember I had to leave the trip reset cable disconnected from the lower part of the dash, and then route it over a support and then back down. I can't remember exactly what was specific about routing the harness.

Main thing is don'e force it. If it's not going in easy, then figure out what is stopping it, and look or an alternate way to route it.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi MJ,
I think it's a good idea to start but not tighten all the screws as you progress through the sequence. Then when every thing's in place and aligned, you can tighten them.
I also found that for me it was better to put the shifter console and e-brake console in place before the center gauge cluster. The 2 consoles sometimes need to be moved backward or forward to get the angle of the gauge cluster just right. Then I put the right side dash pad in place.
I think it's also a good idea to put the kick panels in place when you're putting in the left and right pads since the panels have a 'tongue' that slides into a 'groove' in the pads.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Originally Posted by Mashman
I just reinstalled my dash recently. By far the hardest part was the drivers side dash. The main thing I learned, is just like everything else, if you have to force it, you are doing it wrong.

I had a heck of a time with it until I realized a couple of things. These may be year or convertible specific, but I realized that the main dash harness, and the trip reset cable had to go in a specific way. I remember I had to leave the trip reset cable disconnected from the lower part of the dash, and then route it over a support and then back down. I can't remember exactly what was specific about routing the harness.

Main thing is don'e force it. If it's not going in easy, then figure out what is stopping it, and look or an alternate way to route it.

Good tips guys....keep 'em coming....
(I love this forum!)

Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you don't want to paint the birdcage with POR-15 before you reinstall everything? Just an additional piece of mind to prevent rusting.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by KevinG
Are you sure you don't want to paint the birdcage with POR-15 before you reinstall everything? Just an additional piece of mind to prevent rusting.
I started out to put in new seats...."while I'm at it" has already gotten the best of me.....don't want it to become a body-off!!!

Naw...good tip....but I want her back together! She's a California car....solid w/no rust

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

yeal, I installed my dash for the last time, ...10 times ago !
had to go back in several times for minor issues after assemble.
I would not drive the dash screws all the way in, until you pass a full road test.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default test everything as you go

Originally Posted by MrJlr
I would think Top, Left, Center, Right....but some say otherwise....
The one bit of advice I can give after installing/uninstalling mine several times is to test *everything* after you get the left and center pieces in. Blinkers, headlights, wipers, heater motor, power windows, all center gauges, etc.

I didn't test everything and had to redo mine 2-3 times because of issues like this.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Pad Installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Pad Installation