Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass

Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
navyvetrun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass

Windshield looks bad in sunlight..tree sap, light scratches and oter air borne stuff..several questions..

1) Any experience using clay on windshield? difficult to remove? worth the effort? does it work?
2) Is there a special type of clay to use? just for glass?paint?will any work?
3) Auto Geek offers a special kit for glass for about $50 is it worth the money?

thanks to all
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1& 2 Poli-Flex Rubberized Clayblock ® safely and easily removes rail dust, water spots, tar, bugs, and paint overspray from automotive paint and glass surfaces - http://www.chemicalguys.com
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't feel the need to blow $12++ for clay, invest in some #0000 steel wool and it will safely remove anything that's on any glass panel on your vehicle.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The cream cleaner for glass top ranges works wonders on a windshield and leaves a Rain-X like coating that repels most any liquid that hits it. You can find it in any grocery store.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
96vetteLT4
Racer

Default Turtle Wax Liquid Clay

While I dont use Turtle wax Ice products I was given a bottle of their liquid clay to try. I wouldnt put it on paint but I did find it worked wonders on glass. The liquid clay isnt enough to work on paint but try it on windows and you will be surprised. There enough clay in their liquid to work on windows and its real easy to use, it will take off grime and other items that have gotton on your glass pretty easily, again dont use it for your paint its worthless....G
Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pro-Techt
If you don't feel the need to blow $12++ for clay, invest in some #0000 steel wool and it will safely remove anything that's on any glass panel on your vehicle.
FWIW (possible safety issue)- I was asked by a classic MB owner if I would polish the windshield; he had been advised by a carwash 'detailer' "Steel wool will remove scratches from auto glass", it did but it left so many ultra fine scratches that when the sunlight or auto full beams were shone on the glass it was almost impossible to see. He is now a regular client

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-15-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the windshields produced years ago on classic vehicles are any different than the ones being manufactured today? I just used a piece of #0000 on my windshield and rubbed it for about 15 seconds and didn't notice any scratching?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
ZoranC
Instructor

What TOGWT said, both regarding clay block and steel wool.

I have seen bad experiences using steel wool on glass. Simplest one was tons of small steel wool particles all over the place.

I have used clay on glass but ever since I used clay block on it (well, Elastrofoam if you insist) I am in love with it.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Carl Weisz
2nd Gear

Default Steel Wool works better

I would definitely go for steel wool. Much safer than clay

Last edited by Vette_DD; 09-05-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Link to Non-supporting vendor
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

I have used Clay Bar on windshields and other automotive glass for routine cleaning for years. Works great. No problems what so ever. After clay I use Stoner's Invisible Glass Cleaner and then two coats of Rain-X, polishing after each application.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM
jdizon
4th Gear

Using clay? It is especially noticeable on white vehicles where it is visible as small rust colored spots. It can also be felt by gliding a hand across the paint surface. A rough texture can be felt. Even new cars have the presence of IFO from being shipped and stored at shipping points and at dealerships. Paint over spray occurs to more than 1 out of every 4 vehicles. On a breezy or windy day, a painter’s work can travel some distance. This airborne paint attaches itself to everything in its path. Paint over spray can also be seen and felt.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-05-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Remove hidden link to NSV
Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
0meghan@autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Here is some tech help on getting the glass clean...
http://www.autogeek.net/waterspots.html

Also there are several kit if you need something a bit stronger on the glass.
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite...epair-kit.html
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite...ction-kit.html
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Carl Weisz;1570846556]I would definitely go for steel wool. Much safer than clay [QUOTE]

Could you explain the 'dangers' of a soft pliable clay as opposed to synthetic steel wool, please
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
ZimRandy
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Originally Posted by Carl Weisz
Could you explain the 'dangers' of a soft pliable clay as opposed to synthetic steel wool, please
with TOGWT.

However, I don't expect a response as this thread has a "spam and go" feel to it with the autoglass links that people put in their posts.

*Notice how the posters that linked glass companies just joined and have only a few posts? This thread has a lot of tags listed below, too?

Last edited by ZimRandy; 08-20-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=TOGWT;1571202720]
Originally Posted by Carl Weisz

TOGWT, I think his guy (more probably a kid) got you.

Last edited by Onyasix; 08-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing I've seen detailers use, is light household cleanser rated for fiberglass surfaces, such as Bon-Ami. Not talking about the brute stuff like Comet and Ajax, as these are pretty hard compounds. Don't think the Bon-Ami actually polishes glass, but does a good job of removing auto car wash wax build up and such. The Auto-Geek polishing kit looks pretty good as I've used similar kit's and really took care of the sunny day glare/glaze problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:34 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZimRandy
with TOGWT.

However, I don't expect a response as this thread has a "spam and go" feel to it with the autoglass links that people put in their posts.

*Notice how the posters that linked glass companies just joined and have only a few posts? This thread has a lot of tags listed below, too?
I always wonder if these people realize they're probably doing their business more harm than good.

After seeing that post (and clicking on the link to see what useful information they were trying to provide), I soon realized that they aren't at all interested in helping people, just in making money. Personally, I take my business to companies that care about their customers.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass

Old 08-23-2009, 03:41 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by navyvetrun
Windshield looks bad in sunlight..tree sap, light scratches and oter air borne stuff..several questions..

1) Any experience using clay on windshield? difficult to remove? worth the effort? does it work?
2) Is there a special type of clay to use? just for glass?paint?will any work?
3) Auto Geek offers a special kit for glass for about $50 is it worth the money?

thanks to all

One thing to think about is that clay will be helpful in removing any contaminants bonded to the glass, but won't do anything about damage to the glass itself. The polishing kits like the one AutoGeek sells, are designed to actually smooth out imperfections in the glass itself. So just like there are instances where clay barring the car will be all you need, there are other times when you really need to polish the paint itself.

I've used clay on my windows for hardened sap and other gunk on the surface. But for my older windshield, a polishing kit worked great to resolve the imperfections in the glass itself.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 AM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used a comet type cleanser called Bar Keepers Friend on mine before because it says right on the can that it's safe for glass cook top stoves. It seems to work pretty well!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM
autoglass3278
1st Gear

Default Clay or Steel Wool? What to use?

I would definitely go for clay. Once this is done then go over it with some wax.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 09-05-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Link to a non-supporting vendor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass