Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to go to check VIN number!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Ed's 71' Stingray
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to go to check VIN number!

I just bought my 1971 Corvette Stingray and I'd like to get a history on the VIN number! I've checked a few websites and they can't find it due to the 13 character VIN number, any suggestions? Also what's the difference between the engine code stamp at the back of the block (Above Tranny) and the stamp code on the front of the engine block on the pad... How do I check to see what numbers mean what and how do they match the car's VIN number. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed's 71' Stingray
I just bought my 1971 Corvette Stingray and I'd like to get a history on the VIN number! I've checked a few websites and they can't find it due to the 13 character VIN number, any suggestions? Also what's the difference between the engine code stamp at the back of the block (Above Tranny) and the stamp code on the front of the engine block on the pad... How do I check to see what numbers mean what and how do they match the car's VIN number. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum!

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...tion-kits.html

The link above is for a free Vehicle Information Kit (pdf) from the General Motors archives. Click on the link and the GM Heritage Center opens.

Scroll downward to "Corvette" and select "Show" and list of information kits for various years opens up.

Select the year in question - in your case "1971 Chevrolet Corvette" and click on the link.

Accept the usage agreement.

A pdf with useful and interesting info about the 1971 opens up. You can save the pdf for later use. Contains manufacturer's specifications and descriptions as-well-as sales information GM provided the dealers to help sell Corvettes.

You might want to search the forum for threads on useful manuals and books you are likely to want to get.

Two of the most important are the Genuine GM Shop Manual for you SPECIFIC year car, and the Assembly Instruction Manual (A.I.M.) again specific for your year car.

----------

On the driver's side hinge pillar (open the door) you will see a small plate ("Trim Tag") with coded information. The codes tell you the day you car was built (approximate date - usually within a day or two), the original exterior color, and the original color and fabric of the interior. Link below should help you out.

http://www.c3vr.com/C3-Corvette-Build-Date-Trim-Tag.asp

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited by mapman; 08-28-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Additional information
The following users liked this post:
68V (08-16-2023)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
AF_Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The complete VIN is on the drivers side windshield post.
I think the last 7 digets are on the engine, front, pass side. The same digets are on the frame by #4 body mount and next to the drivers seat on frame.

Here is the breakdown of the VIN.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c3/1971/71id.html

Hope this helps you.

AF
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I just bought my 1971 Corvette Stingray and I'd like to get a history on the VIN number! I've checked a few websites and they can't find it due to the 13 character VIN number, any suggestions?
Sorry but there is no car fax type of site for cars this old.

Also what's the difference between the engine code stamp at the back of the block (Above Tranny) and the stamp code on the front of the engine block on the pad..
The numbers at the back are the casting numbers. They just give you the basics of the engine, such as a 350 or 283 block. The stamp pad gives you the specifics of the engine.

How do I check to see what numbers mean what and how do they match the car's VIN number. Thanks!
Others have answered this.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I just bought my 1971 Corvette Stingray and I'd like to get a history on the VIN number!...
You probably won't find any history on the VIN. Do you have any original documentation with the car? Original window sticker, Corvette order copy, etc?

The two numbers stamped on the pad on the block at the front of the right head are the engine identification stamp and a VIN derivitive stamp of the vehicle the engine was originally installed in. If your engine is original, the VIN derivitive will match the consecutive unit number of the complete VIN on the windshield post.

There can be two types of VIN stamps on 71s. Some include an alpha C.

There was a strike at St. Louis beginning about 9/15/70 and running through about all of November. No cars were assembled in October, 1970, and not too many in November. Production did not ramp back up until December.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:59 PM
Adam Wartell
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

You can check your C3's birthday by VIN using this tool:
https://www.c3vr.com/Corvette-Birthday.asp

Get notified of new replies

To Where to go to check VIN number!

Quick Reply: Where to go to check VIN number!