C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 will be sold over sticker? Dealer price gouging?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
DarkKnight Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 will be sold over sticker? Dealer price gouging?

Hello all,

I remember a few years back when the C6 Z06 was first being released, dealers were asking over MSRP for them. Same with even the new Gen 5 Camaro. My local dealership wanted $10k over sticker for the first shipment of Camaros! And that is just with Chevy. The 2013 Mustang GT500 is hard to get for MSRP. I had to call 5 different dealerships before one would agree to sell it for MSRP. When the GT-R was first being released, dealerships wanted anywhere from $10-30k over sticker. In fact, I had a signed contract for MSRP price for the GT-R and the dealership wouldn't sell it to me still. When the car was ready to be built, they told me "ok the car is ready for options. The price is sticker plus market adjustment" When I asked what is market adjustment they told me $20,000 since that is what the market calls for. I told them no good, I have the signed document by your sales manager and I want my car at MSRP. They told me to get a lawyer and "we'll see you in court."

Do you guys think that the C7 will be going for $5k, $10k, $20k, etc over sticker? Or the production will be high enough and demand low enough that we can just walk into a dealership and buy one at sticker or will we have to hunt all over the country just to find a dealership that you have to haggle to pay sticker for or even a little over?

I ask this because after seeing that 3D video rendering of the C7, I believe this car will be a huge hit and dealers may get cute and put a markup on the first shipment or two of cars. The way to beat this is to contact dealerships early, put a refundable deposit down, and lock in for MSRP price (unless they try to pull what Nissan did to me lol)
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

It will no doubt be over sticker at most dealers...forum dealers at or below sticker.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
DarkKnight Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
It will no doubt be over sticker at most dealers...forum dealers at or below sticker.
You think even at the release of the car, forum dealers will worst case scenario sell for at MSRP? Or have they put a little money on top of the sticker in the past?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkKnight Z
You think even at the release of the car, forum dealers will worst case scenario sell for at MSRP? Or have they put a little money on top of the sticker in the past?
Not sure of what they have done in the past...I expect they will sell well below sticker if you order a car.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

If people are dumb enough to pay over MSRP (and in fact, a lot of people are called suckers for paying MSRP) then no sweat.

Don't get mad over what dealers do...just walk away and wait until the price meets your expectations.

Great time to get a C6 of some version or other, though.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Supply & Demand

Yes, dealers will charge whatever they can get. If no one will pay MSRP+ for a C7, they won't sell them for that much. But a bunch of guys will be willing to pay more, maybe much more, to be the first guy in the club with a new C7.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Yes, and yes.

Dealers are selling C6s at their net cost now so as to get more C7 allocations. That way they make their profit on the early C7 buyers............
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Do you guys think that the C7 will be going for $5k, $10k, $20k, etc over sticker? Or the production will be high enough and demand low enough that we can just walk into a dealership and buy one at sticker or will we have to hunt all over the country just to find a dealership that you have to haggle to pay sticker for or even a little over?
Depends on when you just walk into a dealership. In the first three months? Good luck with that. Early production will be constrained. The line will run slowly and not all colors or options will be available. And they'll hold the first cars on the back lot for a bit in case they discover an issue and have to retrofit.

If you want a car in July, you're going to be frustrated.

If you want a car in November, you can probably get what you want.

.Jinx
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Based on the feedback on these forums, only 1% of the current Corvette market is going to be interested in the new car. The only people interested will also be in the market for an Evo, FR-S or BRZ. Give it a few weeks and they'll go for 10k under sticker...

Having said that, I'll hafta agree with what's been posted. Random Joe salesman and dealer X will ask 5k over. Forum dealers will be in the market to actually sell their allotment, instead of trying to rape the first uneducated body they find.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:47 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Why don't you ask them?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Based on the feedback on these forums, only 1% of the current Corvette market is going to be interested in the new car. ... .

This forum counts foe very little of the world's auto buying public.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Supply & Demand

Yes, dealers will charge whatever they can get. If no one will pay MSRP+ for a C7, they won't sell them for that much. But a bunch of guys will be willing to pay more, maybe much more, to be the first guy in the club with a new C7.
This.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 283 Posts

I ask this because after seeing that 3D video rendering of the C7, I believe this car will be a huge hit and dealers may get cute and put a markup on the first shipment or two of cars.

It doesn't matter what dealers ask for their cars. They could ask for double the sticker price. It's the buyer and not the seller that sets the selling price of the car. So I have absolutely no sympathy for those who pay over sticker and then complain that the dealer is sticking it to them. Of course dealers know that there is a small subset of sports car buyers that must be the first to own a new model, and so their initial asking price typically exploits that behavior.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Wait for second yr and bugs will be fixed and price will go down.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

yes, most likely they will sell at over MSRP for a bit to those people that have to be number 1 on the list to own a C7. It won't last long though.

Also, if the actual production car looks like the car in the annimation video, they won't sell them period. I feel strongly that the only accurate part of that corvette in the video is the front bumper (and maybe the wheels) ...nothing else. If you look closelly, all other proportions, window angles, etc, when compared to the Jalopnik drawings, are off. I believe Jalopnik to be accurate based on the Omega corporation production video leak.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I have my dealers first allocation for MSRP, hope springs eternal and I'm hoping to get a break on that.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Most new cars that are in the public's eyes always sell for over msrp. If the Prius sold for over 10k I'll bet your wife's left boob so will the c7. just find a dealer that sells at msrp. They are out there. Some people have money to burn and have to have it now so why not cash in on that. If i was a dealer i sure would it's business.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 will be sold over sticker? Dealer price gouging?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Years ago, when the Solstice came out, I stopped by with my wife to look at one. This was their first year. Within 10 minutes of talking to a salesman, he mentioned it was a new design and they were going for a few thousand above MSRP. Replied I never even pay MSRP for a new car and left (politely, of course). Have never set foot on that property again.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Most new cars that are in the public's eyes always sell for over msrp. If the Prius sold for over 10k I'll bet your wife's left boob so will the c7. just find a dealer that sells at msrp. They are out there. Some people have money to burn and have to have it now so why not cash in on that. If i was a dealer i sure would it's business.
In the summer of 1997, when I was trying to buy a new C5, my local dealer wanted $10,000 over MSRP and I had to take what ever was shipped to them . Got on the phone(calling 800 #'s) and after calling around, I found a dealer in Tulsa that would sell me one for $1,000 UNDER MSRP and would order the exact car I wanted. Guess who got my business. Took 2 hrs and 37 minutes to drive to Tulsa and 5 hours to drive home(I wanted to break it in on the backroads not at 75 MPH on I-44). $11,000(or $1500/hour) saved.

I never set foot in the Tulsa dealership until I drove over to pick up the car, the day after it arrived at the dealership.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
In the summer of 1997, when I was trying to buy a new C5, my local dealer wanted $10,000 over MSRP and I had to take what ever was shipped to them . Got on the phone(calling 800 #'s) and after calling around, I found a dealer in Tulsa that would sell me one for $1,000 UNDER MSRP and would order the exact car I wanted. Guess who got my business. Took 2 hrs and 37 minutes to drive to Tulsa and 5 hours to drive home(I wanted to break it in on the backroads not at 75 MPH on I-44). $11,000(or $1500/hour) saved.

I never set foot in the Tulsa dealership until I drove over to pick up the car, the day after it arrived at the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 will be sold over sticker? Dealer price gouging?