C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mantic 9000+ Twin Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Mantic 9000+ Twin Clutch Review

Car 2003 C5 Z0z06
Motor C5R 7.0 Short Block Edelbrock 245 heads
Major Mod Vortech YSI Supercharger
Power 811 rwhp on a conservative dyno. More power coming soon!
Vette #16 for me with the majority of them modified

Summary About The Car
I picked this car up from A&A in 4/2011. It had a quite few quarks to work out. I finally had a fuel system upgrade after the car sat for the winter at Cunningham Motorsports till the Feb Trona Airstrip Event.
I drove the car from CMS to the Trona Airstrip event 178 miles each way plus the workout at the strip. You can see the feature here http://www.corvetteonline.com/featur...e-c5-z06/After that I drove the car to the paint shop and noticed that’s when the slipping started which I found out it was a RPS Twin that apparently couldn’t hold the new power for long!

Review
I picked up the clutch from CMS a couple weeks ago. Due to their very busy schedule I ended up taking it to another shop that was local to me and so I could get it installed quickly

The first thing I noticed was the amazing suitcase clutch case. I’ve never seen anything like it and once opened up was very impressed by the attention to detail. The pressure plate and twin disc appear to be top notch workmanship and quality. I could not wait to have it installed

Unfortunately the guy’s at the shop didn’t have much time to take pictures of the install. They did say it went in perfectly and had zero issues. The primary part of their business is doing installations for the Shelby Cobra Kit cars for SU performance. My car was definitely one of the more inexpensive cars on the rack but surrounded by good company.

I start the car stick it into reverse and immediately surprised by how easy the clutch pedal feels. Then I do the release and start to engage almost immediately from letting off just a little off the floor. In the past I was going to put in an adjustable master I see no need now. The engagement is like stock and is so smooth. There is no on/off switch upshifts and downshifts are pretty much like an OEM car. There is no chatter and it makes a world of difference for the enjoyment of driving the car.

I still am surprised I am driving this crazy monster of a car with it being so smooth and easy to drive. My wife would have no problem driving this car yes she can drive a manual!I've had many brands of aftermarket clutch's and this is by far the best one I've ever had!

Thanks again to Mantic Clutch for making a fantastic product. I work for Australian Suspension Company myself and the Aussies really make some innovated unique automotive products.
Special thanks to forum sponsor CMS for getting me the clutch delivered.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

That case is crazy!

What is the torque rating on it?

Does it require a modified slave which is why it comes with one?

How much?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd really like to see how this clutch reacts during hard driving conditions. Have you broken in the clutch and had a chance to beat on it or make any passes at the track? From my experience with clutches, they tend to firm up after a few big burnouts and hard launches.

The suitcases are downright badass!

Keep us posted on it, I know a lot of guys have been raving about these things and I'd like to see how it does over time.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
That case is crazy!

What is the torque rating on it?

Does it require a modified slave which is why it comes with one?

How much?
Here is a link for pricing below, TQ rating on the twin is std is 777ft lbs, however we have had Mantic make us pressure plates that are 30% stronger then the std pressure plate.
You really cant feel any difference in the pedal feel, but it can hold 900+ ft lbs of TQ.
These are the only units we stock and sell in the twin disc 9000 series. The slave is not custom, it's just included with the clutch since it should be replaced upon install.

We have these in stock and can ship today if anyone is interested. Nice write up Wicked C5.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...n-special.html
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Deezee757
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Doug I sent u a pm when u get a sec. Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

glad your happy Reid... that is definitely a nice looking clutch... might throw one in my car to see how it lives up against my driving... considering i just lunch TR6060 Number 3 in my vette lol
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
BLACK-10
Instructor

we've installed a few Mantic clutches here at Lethal Racing on cars making well over 700+ rwhp. I run the 9000 myself. holds the power just fine.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Deezee757
Racer

Hey nick, what configuration did you go with? I drove his car awhile ago and it felt great! I gotta take a longer drive in it this weekend man! I'm 99% sure it's the one I'm going to go with. Lord knows I'll need one eventualy!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 PM
BLACK-10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deezee757
Hey nick, what configuration did you go with? I drove his car awhile ago and it felt great! I gotta take a longer drive in it this weekend man! I'm 99% sure it's the one I'm going to go with. Lord knows I'll need one eventualy!
not sure what you mean by configuration
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Deezee757
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-10
not sure what you mean by configuration
Clips from a post by DOUG @ ECS

"There are four levels to the 9000 series, but we stock the sprung street cerametallic mainly. The "sprung" part of that is the springs you see on the discs in the center which makes the clutch a little more "streetable". That is the assembly that I would recommend for 98% of the cars on this forum.

Before I even list off all the options, let me make it clear all of these clutches have a great pedal feel to them, even the most "race" option, is not bad compared to most aftermarket clutches, but Mantic has been in the business of making OEM clutches, so their interpretation of streetable is OEM or better.

For the most streetable assembly Mantic makes there is the 9000 series full organic sprung. We have sold these to guys who have no intention of racing or heavy slipping off the line, but want a clutch that can hold a lot of power and literally feel better then a stock clutch IMO.

Our most common sale as I said is the 9000 series sprung street ceramettallic, this is a sprung center button type disc that offers a level of performance above organic discs, while offering little negative compromise for street use.

One step up from there performance wise is the Rigid Street Ceramettallic. This is a rigid, non sprung center disc, but with a cushioned button type disc that allows for a harder driving style with the best compromise for pure performance and driveability.

Last is the Rigid track paddle. This has a solid center, non cushioned metallic disc, designed for pure performance. This clutch offers little compromise, engagement is sudden which limits the chance of slippage. It is recommended for road race track use only."

I loved the way yours felt, but I never asked what configratioon you went with. Like I said, I need to take a longer drive with you this weekend and feel it out again. The short one I took felt great, and the pedal was much lighter than I would have guessed.

Is it all broken in now?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Tick takes some time to adjust properly- go too low and it's tough shifting at high rpm's; too high and there's plenty of free play. Every small turn makes a difference on the adjuster. I recently had to make about 7 or 8 small adjustments to get it just right, pain in the *** but worth it in the end.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Put down some new numbers last Friday. Clutch is still going strong!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Deezee757
Racer

Simply awesome man! Deff jumping on one of these eventually!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

I am considering this clutch. My biggest concern is track results. Seems like everyone loves it but I want to hear that 1.5's and better can be cut and the clutch still have a reasonable lifespan.

Thanks for the write up wicked!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I am considering this clutch. My biggest concern is track results. Seems like everyone loves it but I want to hear that 1.5's and better can be cut and the clutch still have a reasonable lifespan.

Thanks for the write up wicked!
I don't drag race so I couldn't tell you but overall it's been good so far.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I've cut a handful of 1.5 and 1.6 so far with my Mantic.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
swosanity
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
I don't drag race so I couldn't tell you but overall it's been good so far.

HPDE/autocross? A lot of power for the street. Thought I was the only nut on this forum with crazy power just for street.

Last edited by swosanity; 08-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mantic 9000+ Twin Clutch Review

Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Put down some new numbers last Friday. Clutch is still going strong!

Very nice!!

Our highest HP car to date with the 9000 series twin was 1080rwhp C6Z, daily driven in Manhattan NYC.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
BoosTTed C6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I had mine for several months. Great pedal fee - if it is 10% firmer than stock, its alotl. Smooth shifts. My wife could not even tell I put a clutch in the car. Holds 720/643 just fine.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Yup, same experience here. Nice to see another 427ci 03Z running the Mantic 9000. I've had mine for almost a year now and it's still going strong, best aftermarket clutch I've ever used. Nice to see other shops besides just ECS starting to realize how great this clutch is. I bet in a year or two most high HP street driven Vettes will be running one of these.

Quick Reply: Mantic 9000+ Twin Clutch Review