C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GPS Update??

Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
spanglervette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 GPS Update??

Does anyone know of any way to purchase an update.........not from the GM sources.........for the GPS system that would make it a decent GPS system? Any new DVDs/software that might work in it?

Thanks,

Paul S.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It already is a decent GPS system.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
HighPro
Racer

Originally Posted by spanglervette
Does anyone know of any way to purchase an update.........not from the GM sources.........for the GPS system that would make it a decent GPS system? Any new DVDs/software that might work in it?

Thanks,

Paul S.
I don't understand why you think the factory GPS is not good. Mine works great - 09 Z06.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've used many different Nav systems, built-in and portable and cellphone. The C6 nav is as good as any. All of them work; all have problems, just different problems.

The biggest issue with the C6 nav is that it' very non-intuitive. You can fix that by learning how to use it, but that takes time and effort.

The "software" update you need is to download talon90's nav tutorial into your laptop, then sit in the car and work through it (just don't kill your battery).

Newer nav discs will update the roads and POI info, but don't change the operation of the unit.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM
NHARRISON
Advanced

Default Poi problem

You seem to be an experienced user. I have a 2012 gs 4lt convertible with nav and i am having trouble with the poi's. If for example i select gas stations, the keyboard comes up and i have to type in bp, shell or whatever. This is not very helpfull when i am out of town and want the closes station. Similar situation with restaurants. I have been back to the dealer twice and talked to gm tech and they claim that is the way it works. I don't believe them. Now everytime i go out of town i have to take my portable garmin to find gas stations, restaurants, etc.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by gearhead jim
i've used many different nav systems, built-in and portable and cellphone. The c6 nav is as good as any. All of them work; all have problems, just different problems.

The biggest issue with the c6 nav is that it' very non-intuitive. You can fix that by learning how to use it, but that takes time and effort.

The "software" update you need is to download talon90's nav tutorial into your laptop, then sit in the car and work through it (just don't kill your battery).

Newer nav discs will update the roads and poi info, but don't change the operation of the unit.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Just buy a pioneer. Then sell the factory nav. Youll MAKE money when its all said and done.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NHARRISON
You seem to be an experienced user. I have a 2012 gs 4lt convertible with nav and i am having trouble with the poi's. If for example i select gas stations, the keyboard comes up and i have to type in bp, shell or whatever. This is not very helpfull when i am out of town and want the closes station. Similar situation with restaurants. I have been back to the dealer twice and talked to gm tech and they claim that is the way it works. I don't believe them. Now everytime i go out of town i have to take my portable garmin to find gas stations, restaurants, etc.

Thanks.
Sorry for the slow reply.

I have used the C6 nav a lot, but seldom use it for gas stations. Our own travel technique usually has us filling up about the time we get to 1/2 tank, so I just drive along until I find a Top Tier list station and stop there. If we get down to 1/4 tank or are in the boonies, then I'll reluctantly stop at "Joe's Live bait, Body Piercing, and Cheap Gas".

Your technique for finding a gas station on the C6 POI seems correct, at least I don't have a better method.

In my home town (pop 36,000), I can do ok by starting to enter a station name and then going to the list the system provides, because there aren't that many different brands. It does show the distance to each station it finds, so I can find "near enough", but not "nearest".

As a partial excuse for my lame behavior, I have found that POI's on most nav systems are awfully out of date, regardless of the system. Even the Siri function on my Iphone 4s sends me to Chase Bank ATM's that have been closed for a year, and doesn't know about a nearby Dunkin Donuts that has been open for 3 years.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

With my Garmin, I can hit the soft key for fuel or food or lodging and it will show me the closest station, the name, the distance, and the direction. I can look at some two or three dozen of each and determine which station/restaurant/motel I want to go to. Hit the button and it will direct me to that location. I don't need to key in a name or address or phone number to program the NAV to that location.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Use fast POI feature. Hit screen with finger anywhere,then in the bottom right side you will see POI. Hit it and you should be able to see GAS STATIONS and a few other fast selects. Also easy way to turn off all POI's.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Use fast POI feature. Hit screen with finger anywhere,then in the bottom right side you will see POI. Hit it and you should be able to see GAS STATIONS and a few other fast selects. Also easy way to turn off all POI's.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

To find gas stations just use dual map mode and the gas stations (and other facilities) for the next 3 exits on the Interstate will always be shown including brand for the majors. You can also scroll forward as far as you want if you want to see where you will stop say 150 miles up the road. Or you can push the top left button and say "gas" with an emphasis on the hard sound at the start and high frequency at the end as in "Kaaaassss" and all the gas stations will be shown on the map so you can pick a station on a street of your choosing.

The factory nav has a TON of features not on the other units if you take the time to learn how to use them.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Thanks.

You actually have a couple of options. I strongly encourage everyone to turn on "Quick POI's". The easiest way to do this is to go in to the nav, press anywhere on the map screen and a button will appear in the lower right labeled "POI". If you press the POI button it will take you to a screen where you can turn on the Quick POI category icons on the map screen and one of these is gas stations. A lot of folks choose not to use the quick POI's because they feel they clutter the screen. The easiest way to deal with this is to know that the POI's only display at map resolutions 1/2 mile and below. Once you increase the map beyond 1/2 mile, the icons disappear. Drop back below 1/2 mile and they will reappear. You can use this to see gas station icons that are coming up ahead by scrolling the map with your finger while driving.

I also strongly encourage folks to turn on Freeway information. When Freeway information is turned on a split map screen will be used and it will show the next three exits full time on the map and it will show which ones have what services (food, lodging, gas, etc.) You can simply select one of those upcoming gas stations and route to it.

Next, using the quick POI screen you can list all local POI's. Tap on the map screen, tap on the POI button and get to the quick POI screen. If you are stopped, a button will be available at the bottom labeled "All Local POI's". If you press that it will bring up a list of all local POI's for all categories by distance from you.

Lastly and only while stopped. You can select to enter a destination, via Points of Interest. When you get to the data entry screen simply put the word "Gas" in the Name field. This will search the database for POI's that have the word Gas in there name. Search terms can be generic. You can use the word Pizza, Hotel, etc. You never need to know the actual name of the place that you want to get to as long as it contains one of the generic search terms it will bring up a list by distance.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 08-18-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks.
A good question ^

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Sorry for the slow reply.

I have used the C6 nav a lot, but seldom use it for gas stations. Our own travel technique usually has us filling up about the time we get to 1/2 tank, so I just drive along until I find a Top Tier list station and stop there. If we get down to 1/4 tank or are in the boonies, then I'll reluctantly stop at "Joe's Live bait, Body Piercing, and Cheap Gas".
A bad answer ^

Originally Posted by talon90
You actually have a couple of options. I strongly encourage everyone to turn on "Quick POI's". The easiest way to do this is to go in to the nav, press anywhere on the map screen and a button will appear in the lower right labeled "POI". If you press the POI button it will take you to a screen where you can turn on the Quick POI category icons on the map screen and one of these is gas stations. A lot of folks choose not to use the quick POI's because they feel they clutter the screen. The easiest way to deal with this is to know that the POI's only display at map resolutions below 2 miles. Once you increase the map beyond 2 miles, the icons disappear. Drop back below 2 miles and they will reappear. You can use this to see gas station icons that are coming up ahead by scrolling the map with your finger while driving.

I also strongly encourage folks to turn on Freeway information. When Freeway information is turned on a split map screen will be used and it will show the next three exits full time on the map and it will show which ones have what services (food, lodging, gas, etc.) You can simply select one of those upcoming gas stations and route to it.

Next, using the quick POI screen you can list all local POI's. Tap on the map screen, tap on the POI button and get to the quick POI screen. If you are stopped, a button will be available at the bottom labeled "All Local POI's". If you press that it will bring up a list of all local POI's for all categories by distance from you.

Lastly and only while stopped. You can select to enter a destination, via Points of Interest. When you get to the data entry screen simply put the word "Gas" in the Name field. This will search the database for POI's that have the word Gas in there name. Search terms can be generic. You can use the word Pizza, Hotel, etc. You never need to know the actual name of the place that you want to get to as long as it contains one of the generic search terms it will bring up a list by distance.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Paul
A very good answer! ^
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

A good question ^

A bad answer ^

A very good answer! ^
You're cracking me up Jim.

Hey, did you ever watch the video?

Paul
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

You're cracking me up Jim.

Hey, did you ever watch the video?

Paul
Yes, both of them, thanks!

I've been trying to figure out a "training class" for the Nav owners in our club, but their abilty level is all over the map. Some need just a couple of minutes to answer advanced questions that I probably don't know anyway, others don't know which way is north.

This week I got to work with one guy who's owned his C6 for several months but never even put the map DVD into his system. After 15 minutes in the car, he knew the basics of using the system and was asking why people think it's so complicated...
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Yes, both of them, thanks!

I've been trying to figure out a "training class" for the Nav owners in our club, but their abilty level is all over the map. Some need just a couple of minutes to answer advanced questions that I probably don't know anyway, others don't know which way is north.

This week I got to work with one guy who's owned his C6 for several months but never even put the map DVD into his system. After 15 minutes in the car, he knew the basics of using the system and was asking why people think it's so complicated...
Great work! Just send the rest down here. I'm doing another seminar for Labor day at the NCM and scheduled again for the Bash. Should be adding an advanced class during the Bash as well.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Great work! Just send the rest down here. I'm doing another seminar for Labor day at the NCM and scheduled again for the Bash. Should be adding an advanced class during the Bash as well.

Hmmm, do we have a date for the bash this early?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GPS Update??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 GPS Update??