Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 B & M Shifter Review

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
tteich01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 B & M Shifter Review

Does anyone run a B&M Shifter in their C5? How do you like it? How much of a shorter throw is it? Any other info is great!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Check out the TPS ATTACK shifter I think you might like it forum vendor here

Pops
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a B&M in my '02 Z06 and really like it. I haven't measured it, but the overall throw seems to have been reduced from stock by about 35-40%. The B&M adds no superfluous feels, notches, springs, or otherwise, which I find nice. More force is required to shift, of course, since some leverage is lost in the shorter height, but it's far from uncomfortable. Stop-and-go traffic may give you more of a workout, though. There are no rattles or inappropriate vibrations or noises. Their new (?) shifter design provides a little buffer between the physical linkage and the stick via rubber o-rings. This seems to dampen vibrations without inhibiting any feel of the transmission. The gear positions are closer together, of course, so if you have any concerns about getting your desired gear with the stock shifter, a shorter one will exacerbate the problem a bit. I haven't had any issues, but it did take a few minutes to get used to it. The stick has a slight cant rearward but this can be reversed (cant forward), if desired--I suppose the length of one's arm would determine this. It shouldn't take an hour to install and presents no hiccups.

I did not retain the stock **** but replaced it with an MGW "race" **** (somewhat vertically cylindrical) and screwed it down low to keep the shifter short. I prefer this to a spherical ****, but it's slightly less comfortable in an over-the-**** grip, if that's what you prefer. I find it more comfortable in any style grip, though, than the stock ****.

Under heavy acceleration, my shift speeds are now limited only by my left leg speed, since the shifter throw is now short enough that I can comfortably shift without pausing clutch travel at all. Again, I haven't measured it, but my feel is that I shaved about a quarter second off my shift times.

I've been very pleased with my B&M and recommend it without reservation.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine too. I also found doing the Anti-Venom mod (adding washers to the detent spring at the tranny) helped with the added notchy feel and really smoothed out the action.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice review Tuscanycircle. I'm sure that will help someone considering the purchase of that shifter.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM
v03z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I hate mine. When I first installe it I didn't mind the notchiness of it because I didnt drive it much. But the shifter doesn't feel very "fluid" rowing through the gears and is extremely aggressive
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
havocdog
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm loving mine. My inpression is about 20% shorter throw and a much more connected feel using the solid mount bushings to replace the stock rubber coupe ones. I also did the Anti-Venom mod a week after the shifter install and was suprised at how much it smoothed out the shift action.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06
I also found doing the Anti-Venom mod (adding washers to the detent spring at the tranny) helped with the added notchy feel and really smoothed out the action.
I'm gonna give this a try. Just as you say, I think this would complement a short-throw shifter very well. Thanks! And thanks for your how-to page!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

I have to ask what is it that you coinsider shorter throw the distance the shifter moves at the top or the amount it moves at the bottom. This has been a question I have had since I have read about short throw shifters.

Pops
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

I'd go with the MGW Short Throw Shifter

It is without question the most precise and best designed shifter on the market, and has about a 35% reduction in throw over the stock shifter.

The benefits of that shifter go beyond its shorter throw, the thing is so precise and well made that everything else about my car feels like it needs an upgrade now to keep up lol

It takes a couple days getting use to it, but once you do its amazing

plus, most of the hard core road and autocross racers with the most experience almost all have the MGW.

If your going to switch out the shifter, why pit something second best in when there isn't all that big of a price differance?

I pretty confident saying that no other shifter is in it's league....

Last edited by steven31371; 07-11-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Originally Posted by BOUT X
I have to ask what is it that you coinsider shorter throw the distance the shifter moves at the top or the amount it moves at the bottom.
I'm not sure if you're addressing the OP or the general audience, but I'll take a crack at answering.

The throw is measured at the top, specifically where you grip the stick. It's the distance your hand travels when shifting. Here's a good illustration.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM
DarkBlueC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, I don't have any info on the B&M, but my research all led to me getting the MGW unit. It is awesome. To get a really good idea of the change in height and throw you get with the MGW check out the post I made this spring after my install...http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ifference.html
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tuscanycircle
I'm not sure if you're addressing the OP or the general audience, but I'll take a crack at answering.

The throw is measured at the top, specifically where you grip the stick. It's the distance your hand travels when shifting. Here's a good illustration.
It was for anyone and thank you for your answer and here is why I asked it. I am a Machnist and a Mechanical Engineer of 35 yrs. So what I did is draw this up in Solidworks to try and define and Develop a real to me short throw shifter. While doing this I relized the only way to do this is to Change the fulcrum of the Shifter ie. change where the Shifter pivots. I then relized that by cutting the top of shifter handle all it changes is the travel of the top of the shifter. It didn't make it a true short throw I also was in the middle of changing out my Clutch so I was able to take my tranny a part and look at the shift gate plate in it. I also reliezed that the Anti Venom Mod is a Valid Mod as by adding the shims in the Bolt detent moved it away from the Linkage allowing it to move freely and become less Notchy. So what I have done is made a adjustment in the height of my Shifter and my mounting block to achive a true short throw Based on the Gate plate GM put in our cars Transmission. I also made modifications to my shift lower box to handle the changes made at this time the upper handle moves about a inch from first to second. I also think that with the anti venom mod reduces the shifter ability to align between 3-4 gear not sure just a small theory will need more testing to figure it out.

Pops
Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Tuscany
Racer

I just did the antivenom mod with two washers/gaskets, and I love it! It really takes the edge off the notchiness that tends to be exaggerated by the shorter-than-stock B&M shifter. Much less effort is needed for shifting now, eliminating the only down side to a shorter shifter. Thanks, all!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by v03z06
Personally, I hate mine. When I first installe it I didn't mind the notchiness of it because I didnt drive it much. But the shifter doesn't feel very "fluid" rowing through the gears and is extremely aggressive
I have it in my 98. Don't care for it.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

I had one in my deceased C5 and it was very good, I never missed shifts at the Texas Mile at 7k and even into 5 lots of other miss gears out there. I think being a tad notchy helps in high RPM shifts and I did plenty of those
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm pretty sure there are two B&M Shifters available for the c5. One is called the ripper and the other is called something else???

Am I correct? And if so what the difference?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 B & M Shifter Review

Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I do like mine, but it can be tricky to get it into 1st on occasion.

I can't find a link to the anti-venom mod. Where can I find that? I'll try it and report back.

Last edited by Coach62; 07-16-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Originally Posted by z06scentair
I'm pretty sure there are two B&M Shifters available for the c5. One is called the ripper and the other is called something else???

Am I correct? And if so what the difference?
The one I have, pictured above, is called "Precision Sport Shifter". I've seen pictures of another, without the vibration-isolating design and with a single straight-through shaft. I think that's the Ripper.

Originally Posted by Coach62
I do like mine, but it can be tricky to get it into 1st on occasion.
This is a trait inherent in the transmission, having nothing to do with the shifter. Even the owner's manual references it. The most effective recovery is to double-clutch (while in neutral, release and re-depress the clutch, then try again to engage first gear). It's just how the synchros and dog teeth are structured in the transmission, I believe.

Originally Posted by Coach62
I can't find a link to the anti-venom mod. Where can I find that? I'll try it and report back.
This is the link I just used to do mine and found it to be awesome: http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html (Thanks, Mark!) I had some minor difficulty finding the right washer/gasket, but eventually found the Dorman 095-023 matches the Oil-Tite 65277 pictured on Mark's page.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BOUT X
It was for anyone and thank you for your answer and here is why I asked it. I am a Machnist and a Mechanical Engineer of 35 yrs. So what I did is draw this up in Solidworks to try and define and Develop a real to me short throw shifter. While doing this I relized the only way to do this is to Change the fulcrum of the Shifter ie. change where the Shifter pivots. I then relized that by cutting the top of shifter handle all it changes is the travel of the top of the shifter. It didn't make it a true short throw I also was in the middle of changing out my Clutch so I was able to take my tranny a part and look at the shift gate plate in it. I also reliezed that the Anti Venom Mod is a Valid Mod as by adding the shims in the Bolt detent moved it away from the Linkage allowing it to move freely and become less Notchy. So what I have done is made a adjustment in the height of my Shifter and my mounting block to achive a true short throw Based on the Gate plate GM put in our cars Transmission. I also made modifications to my shift lower box to handle the changes made at this time the upper handle moves about a inch from first to second. I also think that with the anti venom mod reduces the shifter ability to align between 3-4 gear not sure just a small theory will need more testing to figure it out.

Pops
That's incredible, do you have a way to reproduce this if by some chance I or someone else wanted to compensate you for said mod?

Different car but very relevant. Had a 90 Celica and spent months reading about short shifters. Only found one that changed the fulcrum point (ball joint in shifter box) tthus creating an actual short throw shifter rather than a short rod shifter.

Could you take photos or video of the setup, I'd be very interested in seeing the final assembly.

Last edited by nvusgt; 07-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 B & M Shifter Review