Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Carbon Targa Top

Does anyone make a REAL carbon fiber targa top for the C5. I am not interested in a carbon 3M wrap. The CF roof sure looks good on the new ZR1, and I have seen them available for the C6.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out my old thread, i just uploaded new pictures.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1581207758
Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Charger21, funny you should post this. I'm going to wrap my OLD damaged acrylic top with 3M carbon wrap. I purchased a new acrylic top and was about to sell the old one but saw a wrapped C6 that changed my mind. I watched how they wrap vehicles in YouTube and I'm going to order for about $89 for a 4'X5' 3M Carbon skin and wrap it myself. I'll post the photos when I'm done. I've never seen one for a C5 targa top here in California, so I may be the first... The real ones will cost a bit I'm thinking, what could be more close to the real thing than an acrylic base carbon wrap? Right...
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Hey Charger21, funny you should post this. I'm going to wrap my OLD damaged acrylic top with 3M carbon wrap. I purchased a new acrylic top and was about to sell the old one but saw a wrapped C6 that changed my mind. I watched how they wrap vehicles in YouTube and I'm going to order for about $89 for a 4'X5' 3M Carbon skin and wrap it myself. I'll post the photos when I'm done. I've never seen one for a C5 targa top here in California, so I may be the first... The real ones will cost a bit I'm thinking, what could be more close to the real thing than an acrylic base carbon wrap? Right...
I have not seen any C5 top wrapped in 3M here in Cali.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Few months ago a C6 pulled in that had a funny paint job from a distant here at a Concord meet. The complete vehicle was wrapped in a black semi-carbon skin, bumper to bumper. I did not take a picture, but up close it was very well done. The owner told me, in a year if he doesn't like ti, just peel it off.. It's amazing these times we live in... He also said, it cost about $3k to do just like painting.. I'll just do the targa top for now... I'll post the pic's when I'm done...
Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Interesting idea. I'll wait for pictures but it sounds like something I'd do to my red 98 as the under hood and interior has carbon fiber accents.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

It's funny you ask about a targa, I just asked yesterday about this. A company I work with out of FL (G3 Composites) told me they could take your OEM top and wrap it in REAL carbon, clear coat it etc for about $800. It's not cheap, but it would look really good and be real carbon. Here's a few pictures of interior pieces they have wrapped.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SoCaliVette
I have not seen any C5 top wrapped in 3M here in Cali.
Hi SoCaliVette I was at a car show last month and your name
came up. I won Best Paint but the truth was the judge went
crazy over the CF top you made for me.
Hope things are going well for you and I can tell all members
of CF that you do great work.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
It's funny you ask about a targa, I just asked yesterday about this. A company I work with out of FL (G3 Composites) told me they could take your OEM top and wrap it in REAL carbon, clear coat it etc for about $800. It's not cheap, but it would look really good and be real carbon. Here's a few pictures of interior pieces they have wrapped.

that would look better...on the body of the car you need the high gloss on the top to go with blacked out windows and high gloss body paint.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Something you peel off and stick on is NOT Carbon Fiber!!!!!! its just a glorified sticker!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Wow, as stated it is a Carbon vinyl wrap, I did not say it was real Carbon fiber... Is it me or is some members just want to start a text war... Sorry for just stating what I planned to do.. Is this the Ferrari forum or what...
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
SoCaliVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by road pilot
Hi SoCaliVette I was at a car show last month and your name
came up. I won Best Paint but the truth was the judge went
crazy over the CF top you made for me.
Hope things are going well for you and I can tell all members
of CF that you do great work.
Hi Road Pilot!! I am so happy and proud of my work since you were able to won. I glade you like your top and enjoying it every time when you have it on your car.
Thank you for your comments about my work.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Its just people (im not saying you) way too often call something carbon fiber when its not. Thats like calling plastic, titanium. or a car a truck. etc etc.

Also, I was at a car show today. This guy wrapped his whole 300 (i think it was) and quite poorly, in 3m Dinoc. He had a windshield banner that said "CARBONBOT" with transformer decepticon badges all over it. It should have been named "STICKERBOT"
Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rtpassini
Its just people (im not saying you) way too often call something carbon fiber when its not. Thats like calling plastic, titanium. or a car a truck. etc etc.

Also, I was at a car show today. This guy wrapped his whole 300 (i think it was) and quite poorly, in 3m Dinoc. He had a windshield banner that said "CARBONBOT" with transformer decepticon badges all over it. It should have been named "STICKERBOT"
I was at a show and a ricer had yellow CF all over his car. It was a wrap
at least they did a good job on the application. Folks that know
something about real CF could tell the difference.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks to me that if you wrapped a console in 3m vinyl wrap, and clear coated it...the above average person would never tell the dif unless you told them. Cf is used to shed weight....the look of cf is appealing to people due to the price..but when it comes to wrapping cheap plastic pieces to look like cf, or buying 900 dollars worth of real CF pieces that save less weight than if you skipped that one cheese burger isn't worth it to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Then you don't know what your looking for in carbon fiber. there's a huge difference.

and I'm sure your or significant other wouldn't be happy with fake gold or fake jewels even if you can't tell the difference. there's more to it than just what's at the surface for some. but hey, if your happy with being a fake, more power to ya
Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Wow, looks like a hard crowd here, but with that logic than the corvette should be bashed because it's just a cheap version of a real race sportscar like a Ferrari... All of us should sell your C5 and get a loan for a 430 Scuderia now, stop being fake!...

The weight saving using CF only really benefits one when using the vehicle for real racing when saving weight can mean a victory when all things are equal. For street uses it really doesn't matter. So what if some vette owner just wants that look, nothing wrong with that when they are balancing their budget to enjoy what they want and feed their family... Wrap on I say...

What is interesting is the C5 has the performance reaching the very expensive vehicles that cost 3 to 4 times more and thanks to GM the average person can almost afford one (That's another topic, what is average these days)... Enjoy the ride with or without the real CF...

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Targa Top

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

exactly. I'll have a fake 20 dollar sticker on that crappy fake metal looking plastic console instead of a 1000 dollar CF piece that isn't going to save any weight at all.

The fact of the matter is I know my 20 dollar sticker isn't cf, but it is going to look 100x better than the crappy silverish plastic they put in the c6. The interior is cheap..but that's why we love it.. its the bang for your buck!

The way I look at it, a 20 dollar sticker gives me a better look, and with the money i'm saying, I bought a used corsa sport exhaust, mgw shifter, and real carbon fiber ball shifter. And I still have 300 dollars left over that I put into this used vortech supercharger kit that is just waiting for me to have a few days off to install.

it's all relative... The corvette is an icon not because it's the best sports car...it's the best bang for your buck by far though! and when it comes to a vinyl carbon fiber sticker compared to real CF...it's a bang for your buck reality check.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rtpassini
Then you don't know what your looking for in carbon fiber. there's a huge difference.

and I'm sure your or significant other wouldn't be happy with fake gold or fake jewels even if you can't tell the difference. there's more to it than just what's at the surface for some. but hey, if your happy with being a fake, more power to ya
I find it funny that you are bashing carbon fiber vinyl because of it looking fake...yet the car in your avatar looks like some 1989 iroc z camaro wana be with all that fake a$$ body paneling you did.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM
GTOROES
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
I had the 3M CF vinyl wrap put on my c5 last summer and 2 months later it started to bubble along the front edge. This spring after the first time I took it out it is bubbling all over the top. I was told it is because the Lexan can't breathe, the gasses it puts off can't get out. I would not recommend wrapping it. The custom body shop I took it to also said the same thing would happen if I had it painted.

Quick Reply: Carbon Targa Top