Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

A Corvette ZR1 is now parked at the Clayton County Sheriff's Department, and some citizens are concerned that the department used taxpayer money to buy the car, Even though the car clearly says on the back: "Donated by a Local Drug Dealer." When asked about the purchase of the ZR1, Clayton County Sheriff's Department's Director of Constituency Services, Clarence E. ***, said the department didn't pay for it and the car was seized from a Local Drug Dealer.According to ***, the car was used to transport cocaine and that the drug was even sometimes stashed in a taillight. After that dealer was busted, the sheriff's department seized the car.

The ZR1 is being valued at $80,000 and will eventually be sold on auction; the money will go toward replenishing the department's aging fleet.

*** said the Corvette, which wasn't painted but instead covered in removable wrapping with the Clayton County Sheriff Department's insignia, is not used for patrol or chases, but instead for promotional and educational appearances.

Still, taxpayers like Menyon Epps said they were concerned about the amount of money it costs to take care of a luxury car. "I just think there are better things the department could do with that money," Epps said.

So far the department has only paid for gas in the car and as it gets 14/20 mpg and is about the same, or better then, their normal patrol cars, this concern may be unfounded. Maybe the department should inform the public about the cost of the car as well as fight drug use. Or maybe the press covering this issue should let the public know. Either way, the sell drugs, lose your toys message it getting out.

http://classiccarcollectornews.com/b...super-machine/
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Epps is an idiot.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Corvette Mike Ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Epps is an idiot.
You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

So that's what really happened to Fartpipe's ZR1.

Last edited by racerns; 06-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca
You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1
It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol
so true....just whatever sells their papers....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll be sure to tell those haters that the ZR1 gets about the same if not better gas mileage than a Crown Vic and the ZR1 brake pads could last the life of the car if not tracked saving them lots of cash in the long run.

Clayton county is not the finest part of GA so it's no wonder they're down there complaining. So sad!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
sandstrs
Heel & Toe

I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would think they had a chance to outrun it...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 759 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by sandstrs
I think it looks awesome!

You have to admit, if that thing rolled up behind someone, it is highly unlikely they would have a chance to outrun it...
FIFY
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Especially if it is NBC, MSNBC, CBS, NY Times, etc. Also good at lying by omission and taking content out of context.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca

I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck
Every agency has different policy's on this. The reason some are told to leave them running come from the days of not so dependable starters. Better to have the car running and burn a little fuel than to have an emergency and not be able to start the car.

The public in that town obviously doesn't see the positive side of having a car like this represent their department. Some kids who may be on the fence of being delinquents see an officer doing public events or even driving in their neighborhood may think that being a cop can be a cool thing and that the police aren't the enemy. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used. I'm not a genious, nor did I stay at a Motel 6 last night.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns

I will find you!!!! LOL! Funny though!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by gonabite
............. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).
Little things can have a big impact on impressionable young minds. Anything positive is a good thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

Old 06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Luxury car?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
everjeff
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

She wants to know what the purpose of them having a car like this is? Well obviously its so they can do killer burnouts while eating donuts!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
The drug dealer used a yellow ZR1 to run drugs in, I've got no interest in pursuing his "career path" but um, I think a more low-key car could have been used.
Wait... it was a Yellow ZR1! Anyone hear from Kyle lately? Is having drugs in your tail lights still considered stock for the fast list? I will have to think about this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine