Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help on Optima Battery model!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Help on Optima Battery model!

At NTB and they have NO IDEA what red top model goes in my Z06. They're guessing! Pulled any old red top out and found it won't fit plus the positive and negative terminals are reversed from the factory battery.

What model do I need? I'm stranded here.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
K.Shupe
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

You might find this helpful

http://xse.com/leres/z06/battery.html
Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sure looks like a lot of bother to me, since both Autozone and Advance Auto have exact drop in replacement Gold batteries. Heard mixed reviews on Optimas, and the Golds have 7yr pro/3yr free replacement. My car has an Autozone 90-DLG in it, just over 31 lb. The Advance site has their 90T5 20% off if ordered online. I've done this, and on the store counter next day. As for replacement, stick with advice given here on the forum. Unbolt the cables and tie down. Pull up on the left carpet board, and tuck the (+) cable under. Wipe down the battery sides(width), and stick on some duct tape for a lifting handle. Works like a charm. As for the mentioned 800 cca Optima series 78, most better series 78 batteries have this, with the Advance Gold under 38 lb.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the red and tellow tops will fit fine. The only issuse is making sure the pos and neg terminals are on the proper sides of the battery. Also you'll have to come up with another type of battery hold down as the stock one is way too small.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 AM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a yellow top SC34DU because of an aftermarket stereo. It has been great for 2 years and can sit alot longer between drives.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdmn75
I went with a yellow top SC34DU because of an aftermarket stereo. It has been great for 2 years and can sit alot longer between drives.
So was the SC34DU model just a drop in scenario? No muss, no fuss? No special handing instructions just take out the old and put in the new one and it fits fine and not issues with mounting etc? I have an aftermarket NAV head unit plus radar detector etc...

Btw, stupid question but can someone answer this... Once RUNNING where does the power come from? My understanding is... the accessories etc all get power from the alternator an and the battery is only used to cold start the car, once started, the alternator recharges the battery. Is this accurate? If so, why would you need say a YELLOW TOP Optima battery given the accessories would all be running off the alternator once the car is on.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a write up also that may be helpful to you. I will find the link and post back.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Found it. I have several pictures of this in my album also. But I did list the part number I used in the thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-battery.html
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
Found it. I have several pictures of this in my album also. But I did list the part number I used in the thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-battery.html
Thanks man! Question, why did you have to chop the factory strap in half and rivet an extension? Not sure I follow on the disconnect ****...

"Thats what I did. It is a R34-980 Optima RedTop from Advance Auto. All I had to do was chop the factory hold down strap in half, rivet in an extension and thats it. I did however add in a quick disconnect ****."

Also, do you see any advantage to a YELLOW TOP? I had a RED TOP in my C5 and loved it.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had to chop the hold down strap and extend it because the RedTop is wider than the factory battery I had in there.

The disconnect **** is for when I store the car for extended periods of time, to prevent any battery drain. Much easier to disconnect power, no tools required.

I have RedTops in everything I drive. I get good deals on them, and have never done me wrong. Not saying they are better than yellow tops, they are just what I prefer. (I had a Redtop in a '94 Camaro that lasted 7 years!)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

I had to chop the hold down strap and extend it because the RedTop is wider than the factory battery I had in there.

The disconnect **** is for when I store the car for extended periods of time, to prevent any battery drain. Much easier to disconnect power, no tools required.

I have RedTops in everything I drive. I get good deals on them, and have never done me wrong. Not saying they are better than yellow tops, they are just what I prefer. (I had a Redtop in a '94 Camaro that lasted 7 years!)
I see. I really don't have the know how to extend that strap.. if I don't put it back on, will that be a problem? BTW, what did you use to secure both ends of the strap?

Also, I called Batteries Plus and they only have it listed as a R34. What's with the 980 portion? Is R34-980 a part number, model number or what? I want to call them and verify they have the correct battery.

Last edited by starchedup; 10-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I highly recommend you strap it down somehow. A poprivet gun and a piece of plastic I had laying in the garage is all I used to modify mine.

The part number (R34-980) is what Advance Auto carries it under.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

You can see the part number in this pic.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Center, just under battery handle.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

BIG THANKS! I called Advanced Auto... that's unique to their company (meaning the 980). Other places just have it as a R34 but I know this battery is "particular" based on that 2nd post in here (must be vented and reversed poles etc) so I'm just going to buy the battery you have and that way I KNOW it'll work.

I REALLY appreciate the help! CF is INVALUABLE!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

And just for double confirmation... You have this is a C6Z06 right?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:34 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, 2006 C6 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on Optima Battery model!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Check out my picture album for all the pics I've posted.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Ive owned a C4, two C5's and the C6Z06 I currently own. And do all the work myself.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

And those are just the Vettes I have owned and modded myself. There are a pile of other Bowties I own, or have owned, that I have modded the **** out of.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help on Optima Battery model!