[Z06] Dropped Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
neetstuff55
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped Valve

2002 Z06 w/ 21K miles.

Cylinder #3 broken exhaust valve spring. Piston hit the plug and damage the spark plug. Also found coolant in cylinder #8. I see that broken valves are a fairly common occurrence based on some of the forum threads. The dealer removed the valve covers and inspected with a boroscope. They said the block looks good and they didn't see any damage to cylinder walls. They want to pull the motor and rebuild. Price was $7176.

They told me the cause of the exhaust valve breaking was when the car is stored for winters and the exhaust valve is the in the elongated position it can develop stress cracks, then under pressure it will snap. Told me that during storage these cars need to be started once a week for 10 minutes. I guess I missed those instruction when I purchased, but none the less I wasn't to pleased. Furthermore, while I don't drive this car in the winter, I don't think it ever sat for more than 8 weeks without being driven.

What reasons have other been given as the cause of all these valve spring breaks? Does this sound like a $7176 repair?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really common failure on the '02-'03 Z06. Supposedly we all got substandard springs from the factory. Probably 2 reported failures per month on this forum. Very common, and most of us on here replace(d) them. I went with a PAC spring. Some people are lucky and not much goes wrong when they fail, but others have massive damage like you. It probably has nothing to do with what they told you, they are just a ticking time bomb on the cars who got springs from this bad batch.

I have no idea about the quote for a repair, but I would think for that kind of money you might as well get a pretty built up engine. I wouldn't think a stock LS6 would cost that much. I know some people also go with a LS3 or LS7.

Sorry it happened to you, but if you had read these forums with any regularity, you would know this is VERY common. Do a search and see how many others report this happened to them.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Titan22
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Think I may have been TPS that had GM crate motors on sale, LS3 with 480hp for under $7,000.

Looked back and looks like I was wrong, not TPS, but will keep looking.

Last edited by Titan22; 06-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by neetstuff55
2002 Z06 w/ 21K miles.

Cylinder #3 broken exhaust valve spring. Piston hit the plug and damage the spark plug. Also found coolant in cylinder #8. I see that broken valves are a fairly common occurrence based on some of the forum threads. The dealer removed the valve covers and inspected with a boroscope. They said the block looks good and they didn't see any damage to cylinder walls. They want to pull the motor and rebuild. Price was $7176.

They told me the cause of the exhaust valve breaking was when the car is stored for winters and the exhaust valve is the in the elongated position it can develop stress cracks, then under pressure it will snap. Told me that during storage these cars need to be started once a week for 10 minutes. I guess I missed those instruction when I purchased, but none the less I wasn't to pleased. Furthermore, while I don't drive this car in the winter, I don't think it ever sat for more than 8 weeks without being driven.

What reasons have other been given as the cause of all these valve spring breaks? Does this sound like a $7176 repair?
When you get a chance, please post here or PM me your build month and last 5 digits of your VIN. Both can be found on the driver's side door jamb. Thanks.

corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/build-date-vin-analysis-of-ls6-valve-spring-failures.html
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

They said the block looks good and they didn't see any damage to cylinder walls. They want to pull the motor and rebuild. Price was $7176.
If I were in this position, I would seriously consider a forged 383 rotating assembly.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

2002 Z06 w/ 21K miles.

Cylinder #3 broken exhaust valve spring. Piston hit the plug and damage the spark plug. Also found coolant in cylinder #8. I see that broken valves are a fairly common occurrence based on some of the forum threads.
That sucks ... sorry for your bad luck. I just changed mine (finally) last fall and my 2002 Zee also had 21K miles on it. I do store mine in the winter and sometimes it has sat 4+ months without starting. Not sure if that really contributes to the failure or not.

Would be interested to know the build date of your Zee. Mine could have been a hair away from grenading before I swapped the spring out.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

2002 Z06 w/ 21K miles.

The dealer removed the valve covers and inspected with a boroscope. They said the block looks good and they didn't see any damage to cylinder walls. They want to pull the motor and rebuild. Price was $7176.
I would ask if in fact the cylinder wall was not damaged and with only 21K on the clock why are they recommending a complete overhaul. Additionally I would ask if there was any damage to the affected piston and cylinder head that would require replacement of either or both components.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

For $7200. I would think youd get a new LS6 and that would also cover labor. Thats a frikken rip off doood!!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
MikeD33
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 81c3
For $7200. I would think youd get a new LS6 and that would also cover labor. Thats a frikken rip off doood!!
Well, I am currently having my LS6 replaced with a rebuilt one. GM evidently doesn't make the LS6 anymore. It costing me roughly 9500 with everything. Hurts to pay out that much cash for the stealership to do this, but I don't have the facilities or time to do it myself right now. It actually would have cost me more to have the old block repaired and the engine rebuilt than it did to find one through another company and delivered to the dealer to install.

I'm really kind of suprised that GM hasn't issued some sort of recall for the springs with the amount of vettes that have been damaged due to these faulty springs.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=neetstuff55;1581105354]2002 Z06 w/ 21K miles.

Cylinder #3 broken exhaust valve spring. Piston hit the plug and damage the spark plug.

Did the dealer tell you that!!!! If the spark plug is damaged its not from the piston, cant happen ( unless the piston came apart when the valve hit it) probably a bent valve hit it

Steve
Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
MotoMike02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeD33
Well, I am currently having my LS6 replaced with a rebuilt one. GM evidently doesn't make the LS6 anymore. It costing me roughly 9500 with everything. Hurts to pay out that much cash for the stealership to do this, but I don't have the facilities or time to do it myself right now. It actually would have cost me more to have the old block repaired and the engine rebuilt than it did to find one through another company and delivered to the dealer to install.

I'm really kind of suprised that GM hasn't issued some sort of recall for the springs with the amount of vettes that have been damaged due to these faulty springs.
For 9500 Ill put your motor in; I like free money. That is way way to much to pay
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
MikeD33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MotoMike02
For 9500 Ill put your motor in; I like free money. That is way way to much to pay
You got that right...way too much to pay, I won't do that again. I should have my shop set up pretty soon in a new house soon so all work after this I will do myself.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Find a corvette or Hot Rod shop and get prices from them before you pay that amount.

What is your location, maybe we can help with a vendor.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
MikeD33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
Find a corvette or Hot Rod shop and get prices from them before you pay that amount.

What is your location, maybe we can help with a vendor.
Well unfortunately I am in BFE in AZ. Not much out here for options as far as shops are concerned. I have to get up to Phoenix for any shops worth going to. Although there might be some as close as Tucson that I am not aware of, but that is still a good ways off.

This one is a done deal though, they are about done with it.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

There were just under 17000 Z06s built for 2002-2003.. There are 130 reports of broken valve springs on those models (this forum).. Thats less than 1%.. Numbers maybe as high as 3-4% are possible.. that would be 510-680 engines with vavle spring failure.. Statistically its very rare to break a spring.. I called 3 local hi volume Corvette speedshops in Dallas and 2 dealerships and asked the question.. Sure enough its almost unheard of.. I still replaced mine just to be safe.. I don't want to be in that 3-4% group..
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by David426
There were just under 17000 Z06s built for 2002-2003.. There are 130 reports of broken valve springs on those models (this forum).. Thats less than 1%.. Numbers maybe as high as 3-4% are possible.. that would be 510-680 engines with vavle spring failure.. Statistically its very rare to break a spring.. I called 3 local hi volume Corvette speedshops in Dallas and 2 dealerships and asked the question.. Sure enough its almost unheard of.. I still replaced mine just to be safe.. I don't want to be in that 3-4% group..
Do you think every case is reported here? I agree that it is still a small percent that fail, but it is still a VERY high failure rate compared to almost any other car. Just like the EBCM, GM failed on the springs in our cars.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

U neex to get ur car as far away from the stealership as possible!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped Valve

Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Do you think every case is reported here? I agree that it is still a small percent that fail, but it is still a VERY high failure rate compared to almost any other car. Just like the EBCM, GM failed on the springs in our cars.
You need to read my post carefully... 130 reports on this forum which is less than 1%.. 3-4% is more likely(people that do not report failures on this forum..
Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX

Another LS6 with a broken valve spring. Welcome to the club. I joined it 2010.

Best of luck with the rebuild.

Don't believe the dealer BS, just a bad batch of springs. I drive my car every week, mine still broke. If the car was stored in COMPRESSED state for that cylinder, it would mean every car that GM built would be breaking springs. if stored more than a couple of weeks. That is some dumb *** mechanic spewing ********, for lack of understanding. I would look for a new mechanic after he said something really stupid such as that.

Last edited by 2K3Z06; 06-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

There were just under 17000 Z06s built for 2002-2003.. There are 130 reports of broken valve springs on those models (this forum).. Thats less than 1%.. Numbers maybe as high as 3-4% are possible.. that would be 510-680 engines with vavle spring failure.. Statistically its very rare to break a spring.. I called 3 local hi volume Corvette speedshops in Dallas and 2 dealerships and asked the question.. Sure enough its almost unheard of..
I agree that no matter when a C5 Z06 was built, it is far less likely to experience a valve spring failure than it is to not experience one.

However, you're averaging across the entire two year period. If my study shows anything, it's that there's a hot spot in the spring and summer of 2002 in which failures are far more prevalent than during other periods of time.

I still replaced mine just to be safe.. I don't want to be in that 3-4% group..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dropped Valve