Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Will using distilled white vinegar harm paint finish?

Old 07-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Glassbergs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will using distilled white vinegar harm paint finish?

I read that distilled white vinegar can be used to remove watermarks which I got from someone turning on a lawn sprinkler next to my parked C5 vert. I tried vinegar in a small area and it seemed to work with very little elbow grease. Does anyone know if this is harmful to the paint or clearcoat? Thank you.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

It is fine to use. It will remove most or all of your wax, so that are will need to be redone.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZaneO
It is fine to use. It will remove most or all of your wax, so that are will need to be redone.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:26 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Will vinegar also work to remove dried wax in hard to get areas? I've read on this forum that turpentine is good for that, but I don't need the half gallon of turpentine that seems to be the smallest size my local hardware and paint stores stock.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 10:13 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Will not hurt anything, it will dull out the paint so you will need to rewax the area.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Revisiting an old thread..

I hand glazed and waxed my black 011 GS..(used Adams products) looks fantastic BTW..took it to the movies and it sat thru a rain shower, then in direct sun for a few hours. Needless to say I now have water spots.

I basically have a millon outlines of where the water spots were. Thought about using white vinegar since ive tried to clay bar and it didnt work. Has opinion on this changed?

If it matters I Zaino'd the car when I first got it and thought Id try Adams now a year later. I really like the shine and the look.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SnakeBT6
Revisiting an old thread..

I hand glazed and waxed my black 011 GS..(used Adams products) looks fantastic BTW..took it to the movies and it sat thru a rain shower, then in direct sun for a few hours. Needless to say I now have water spots.

I basically have a millon outlines of where the water spots were. Thought about using white vinegar since ive tried to clay bar and it didnt work. Has opinion on this changed?

If it matters I Zaino'd the car when I first got it and thought Id try Adams now a year later. I really like the shine and the look.

Thanks
Black cars suck for water spots......

Especially sun water etched.....

It's gonna need a machine polish with the right products and pads to remove them completely. White vinegar can only do so much......

Good luck.....
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be that hard to remove so soon after, have you washed and wiped dry the car?

Detail spray and a microfiber should take care of them seeing the car has protectant on it.

I wash my car just outside the garage and pull it back in right away to dry it, spots already forming, they wipe right off.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Rich98

Detail spray and a microfiber should take care of them seeing the car has protectant on it.

Nope....

Detail spray and a MF towel will not remove water spots......

Especially ones that baked in the sun......

What's underneath doesn't seem to matter with these little devils......

Wax or Zaino, doesn't seem to stop them from showing up from time to time. A good polish with the right pads will help wonders.....

Look for a good detailer in your area if you don't have the knowledge or products for the job.......
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Baked on water spots are one thing, I'm talking about the ones you get right after washing or overnight dew causes on non garaged vehicles.

Some that are etched in the paint will never come out, even after wet sanding and compounding.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

This was just bad timing with pollen and the car being a bit dirty recently waxed and a heavy rain and hot sun for a few hours after.

Kinda stinks as I really do try and do a good job of taking care of it.

As the clay didnt work, Im going to try and use some white vinegar to see if that helps. Ill let you know the result. If not Ill have to get it professionally polished.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water doesn’t leave marks or etch surfaces; it’s the minerals that it contains calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) and reactivity (heat acting as a catalyst) the spots are actually traces of minerals left on the surface. Alternatively they can be caused by industrial pollution (i.e. acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout)

Generally surface water-spots have no raised edges and are very shallow and so cannot be felt, they are very similar to micro-fine surface marring. They cannot be removed from the surface by washing but they can usually be removed with a slightly abrasive chemical paint cleaner

Note: Vinegar is a liquid produced from the fermentation of ethanol in a process that yields its key ingredient, Acetic (Ethanoic) acid, pH 2.7

There are two categories of water mark (the so-called water spots)

Stage I (Surface) Corrosion
[: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]

Stage II (Sub-surface) Corrosion
[: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface( a concave circular mark ) after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

some product lines like Chemical Guys now offers water spot removers. You can also find ingredients in products like ONR (Optimum No Rinse) which soften water and said to help in reducing some spots. But vinegar is often used without issue also.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys..Im off for the rest of the week and will try the vinegar tomorrow to see how it works.

If no luck Ill take it to a detailer.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Thanks guys..Im off for the rest of the week and will try the vinegar tomorrow to see how it works.

If no luck Ill take it to a detailer.
We're are you located in NY?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Im in NYC, and have a weekend place in Moriches. Keep the car out there.

I actually had it detailed at TKO Corvettes in Bayshore a month ago. They used Adams products, and I really liked the finish when it was done.

I bought Adams glaze and wax and do a section or two here and there after washing and it keeps it looking fantastic.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Rich98
Instructor

Didn't know Ed does detailing, ok.

I'm in Hicksville if you ever want it looked at.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks..actually wont get out there until Sunday.

He called a guy in to do it while I waited..they put it up on his lift and the guy really did a nice job.

Just hate the fact that I may have to get it done again.

Ill keep you posted.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks..actually wont get out there until Sunday.

He called a guy in to do it while I waited..they put it up on his lift and the guy really did a nice job.

Just hate the fact that I may have to get it done again.

Ill keep you posted.
While I don't know how deep the detailer had to cut, the good thing is that Vettes have lots of clear from the factory. You should be fine

Get notified of new replies

To Will using distilled white vinegar harm paint finish?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will using distilled white vinegar harm paint finish?