C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Black 1972 Corvette

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
CF Editor
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Black 1972 Corvette

Read it here: The Black 1972 Corvette

Would you believe that the paint on this Corvette is from the factory? Despite the fact there were no black corvette's made in 1972? More details on this impossible Corvette in the link above, or just jump to the gallery here.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I am surprised NCRS people to top flighted this car because of color. I am sure even though you have papers and documentation there were or are some who would not buy it.
Very cool car. I like it

Last edited by Mike Terry; 06-05-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
SeeYah
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Have to see it in person.....

I looked at the car in Indy last month. While the pictures in the article show that the paint is pretty nice for being original, it is in bad shape. I took particular interest in looking at this car because I had a black 72 coupe from 1976-1984. Both my old car and this one had SPEC for the paint code. Mine was ordered out of Miller Chevrolet in Grand Haven, MI and from what the original owner told me at the time, the dealer painted it black. I sold in in Fort Worth in 1984 and the last I knew, it was in Waco around 1990. Would love to get that car back but don't have anything with the VIN to track where it may currently be.

One thing I question about this car....if it was ordered for Pete Estes and he could have anything that he wanted for options, why wouldn't he want leather seats instead of vinyl which is what it has.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Those photos were shot at our Michigan Chapter judging meet last weekend; interesting car with great history.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If the paint really is not any good and it is a so called "patina" i really do not care much about that.

I know of a 1967 coupe that have the original paint, a so called car with "patina".
If you ask me i think it is car in need of a full respray of paint in the original color

But i really hope this car is as good as it looks on the pictures
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
If the paint really is not any good and it is a so called "patina" i really do not care much about that.

I know of a 1967 coupe that have the original paint, a so called car with "patina".
If you ask me i think it is car in need of a full respray of paint in the original color

But i really hope this car is as good as it looks on the pictures
That's a "Bowtie" (untouched all original) car, not a restored Flight-Judged car; all that matters in Star/Bowtie judging is absolute originality (not parts that LOOK original, but parts that ARE the originals it was built with and haven't been touched since). There is no "condition" judging in Star/Bowtie - only originality matters.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there were no black vettes from 72-76? I never knew that.
Shemp
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Joelbbvette
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Impossible 72 Black Vette

It's was Giant Motors back then, never say Impossible. Just like 86, 88, and 89 ZR-1s escaping. Nothing is impossible and if you were high enough up in the Corporate Ladder, things can be done.

I think the real question is where was this car painted. At St. Louis in the standard paint booth, the repair (touch up) car area, or at a near by dealership? So the car is a SPEC paint code from a previous comment and it is original laquer paint job, so who and where was it applied.

4 Star Bowtie cars are important to the hobby to help those of us that want to RESTORE a car correctly. Of course, a car is only original once.

Save the Wave! Hope to meet some of the Forum Folks in San Diego at the NCRS Nationals. Look for the Copper 94 Convertible.
Joel
Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
So there were no black vettes from 72-76? I never knew that.
Shemp
It wasn't offered as a standard choice, but it is known that they could be special ordered though 'the system'. There were 50ish or so '73s painted black by the factory. Most had 'SPEC' on the trim tag like this '72.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went and looked at a 72 coupe about 5 yrs. ago. It was black, I don't have a clue if it was a repaint, I did not pay that much attention. I may have to check if he ever sold it. Shemp
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Many,many Vettes were re-painted by the dealer.

My dark green/buckskin 79 L-82 4 spds paint and body was so poor, the dealer did a total repaint before delivery. I do not consider that factory original. By any standard it's non-original paint.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

My buddy still owns an absolutely pristine silver '72 LT-1 coupe that he bought new, it now has 21000 miles on it and is 100% original.
I can tell you that the untouched as new original factory paint on that car is awful, not to mention terrible panel fit....
I can only imagine how much worse it would have looked in black, probably a good thing that there were so few of them.

Paul
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
My buddy still owns an absolutely pristine silver '72 LT-1 coupe that he bought new, it now has 21000 miles on it and is 100% original.
I can tell you that the untouched as new original factory paint on that car is awful, not to mention terrible panel fit....
I can only imagine how much worse it would have looked in black, probably a good thing that there were so few of them.

Paul
.....that would be quite the condemnation of GM in the early to mid-70s if the real reason for no black Corvettes is actually because they couldn't turn a body worthy of the color out back then.

I'm far from familiar with these things but your comment brings up a question. Since a Black Corvette could be ordered in 1968-71..... what did they look like?

Did they start to show production quality problems you couldn't see as well under other shades........is this why Black went away for 5 model years?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 430 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's a "Bowtie" (untouched all original) car, not a restored Flight-Judged car; all that matters in Star/Bowtie judging is absolute originality (not parts that LOOK original, but parts that ARE the originals it was built with and haven't been touched since). There is no "condition" judging in Star/Bowtie - only originality matters.
John,

Yes, the majority of the paint on this car is original... Some touched up areas but certainly under the requirement for Bowtie. It's a solid car for sure and certainly worthy of the awards it received.

From the documentation that I saw when this car was presented for Bowtie judging, the paint was sourced from the truck line which was also in St. Louis. I would imagine that it would have been painted on the regular Corvette paint line, but you probably have a better idea of what happened with special paint jobs than I do John. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Krystal
.....that would be quite the condemnation of GM in the early to mid-70s if the real reason for no black Corvettes is actually because they couldn't turn a body worthy of the color out back then.
The paint on these cars has aged over the years, but the quality on even very low mile cars is spotty. I've had the opportunity to look over a 300 mile 1972 Corvette (classic white) and even it had some quality issues.

Many dealers repainted or touched up cars... Heck, the factory did a lot of spot in work too. The recessed area behind the rear window and the rear tail panel were notorious for requiring paint touch up before leaving St. Louis.

I'm far from familiar with these things but your comment brings up a question. Since a Black Corvette could be ordered in 1968-71..... what did they look like?

Did they start to show production quality problems you couldn't see as well under other shades........is this why Black went away for 5 model years?
Black was factory available in 1968 and 1969... I don't believe the production figures for colors are available for 1969, but if I recall correctly, the 1968 figures were around 700 units (lowest total for all standard colors). Whatever the reason, people didn't order it and it was discontinued as a standard color for 1970. There are reports of short runs (10-20 cars) in 1972 and 1973, but considering that none have appeared outside of this car, I have my doubts.

For what it's worth, paint and body work quality on Corvettes of that time was never great... Throw a color like black on top of that and you have a quality control nightmare on your hands.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Lt1Mike
Heel & Toe

This topic is of particular interest to me as I too own a special ordered black Corvette. Its a 1971 Lt-1 which I purchased from the original owner in the mid '90's. The car was special ordered by the original owner who was serving in the Navy and was stationed in Italy. My documentation includes many letters back and forth between GM Overseas Division and the original owner regarding paint color and his request for "Black" paint. The car still wears its original paint....but its in bad shape. checking, flaking, etc.. It's pretty much original, engine, trans, rear. It was also ordered with deluxe interior and no radio. If I remember correctly the trim tag has "Spec Paint" for color.

Mike
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lt1Mike
This topic is of particular interest to me as I too own a special ordered black Corvette. Its a 1971 Lt-1 which I purchased from the original owner in the mid '90's. The car was special ordered by the original owner who was serving in the Navy and was stationed in Italy. My documentation includes many letters back and forth between GM Overseas Division and the original owner regarding paint color and his request for "Black" paint. The car still wears its original paint....but its in bad shape. checking, flaking, etc.. It's pretty much original, engine, trans, rear. It was also ordered with deluxe interior and no radio. If I remember correctly the trim tag has "Spec Paint" for color.
Mike,

Any chance of getting some photos of the car and documentation? I do quite a bit of research on the 1970-1972 cars and it would be really helpful to compare to other cars claiming to be St. Louis painted, black Corvettes.

The issue with many of the black 1970-1976 cars that turn up is that nearly all of them were primer cars that were painted black by a dealer or owner. The 1972 car in question is apparently a bona fide factory painted car. It would be nice to put your 1971 into the mix.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=Joelbbvette;1580998369]It's was Giant Motors back then, never say Impossible. Just like 86, 88, and 89 ZR-1s escaping. Nothing is impossible and if you were high enough up in the Corporate Ladder, things can be done.

Like this 88 ZR-1??? Crushed and left to rot. Sorry, couldn't resist......

Get notified of new replies

To The Black 1972 Corvette

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Krystal

Must be. There were strikes all through the 70s. Quality was out of control. 74-75 being the all time worst from Camaro to Cadillac.

It was VERY obvious Chevy had no interest in giving the Corvette the proper final finishing.

If a dealership body shop can do it? GM certainly could.

UNIONS!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Lt1Mike
Heel & Toe

Stan,

I'll try to take a few photos within the next couple of days and email or post them.

Mike
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lt1Mike
Stan,

I'll try to take a few photos within the next couple of days and email or post them.

Mike
Mike,

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Stan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Black 1972 Corvette