Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra

Hey guys,

I've been searching quite a bit about the process, if any, there is for removing swirl marks from a clear bra. I've read such a contrast in answers I'm not really sure what to make of it. Some people say treat the bra the same way you treat paint and use a DA and light polish with little heat to remove the marks. Some people say use Plastx or Plexus to remove the swirls. Others say, you can't remove the Swirls. And lastly, the typical, "Ask the manufacturer".

The first issue I have is that I bought the car with the clear bra on it so I have no idea is ifs 3M or "X" company. I never noticed any swirls until I recently washed the car and used RainX bug removal to take some nasty bugs I had on the front bumper from a long trip. The mitt I was using must of been too abrasive and caused the swirling, I'm assuming since I dry the car with a leaf blower.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with removing or even hiding the swirl marks on a clear bra?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Yes, but you have to be incredible careful. In my shop - Deep Reflections Auto Detailers we use Zaino-ZPC(Paint Cleaner) to remove scratches and swirls from a clear bra.
We use a Lake Country Orange Pad on a PC 7424XP at a setting of 4.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without knowing wich film it is its difficult to give you the right advice as all films react differently. What works for one film may damage another film. I will say that we have always recomended not using an orbital as it is way to easy to burn the film. I would try it by hand first and go little by little. I have seen some pretty bad scuffs buffed out of Ventureshield by hand with a really fine polishing compound.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I don't know what brand of film that I have on my wife's C6. I have used the Megs 205 with my random orbital with excellent results. I tried some correction by hand first and was not satisfied with the result. Guess I got lucky.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
RaskyR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've find searching for care/correction information on PPF to be a lot like leather care! There is tons of conflicting information out there and it's annoying!

Over time the film will accumulate marring just like paint and we need a way to correct it. Most 3M installers say to use IPA to remove marring but IME that is ineffective and I find it funny that the film comes marred up right from the installers. If IPA works so well than why are they delivering a new wrap to the client all marred up?

I've been polishing PPF since the mid 90's and I've only run across a few that have given me trouble. Is polishing bad for the film? I have no idea. I do know that the films have always left my shop looking better than when they came in and without polishing them they were never going to look as good as I made them. Until one of the manufactures steps up and shows us an approved method for correction of film I'm going to continue doing what works for me.

I tend to reach for Menzerna polishes...FPII is what I like to start with.

Here is a 50/50 on 3M film

The new Ultimate "self healing film" by Xpel looked to be very promising when I was at SEMA and the installers I know are loving it as well.

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

Rasky
Old 05-21-2020, 01:27 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had this subject on my mind and searched, before starting a new thread.

I had minor marring/scratches on my XPEL Ultimate Plus front bumper (vertical portion)
and one tiny V shaped piercing.

I cleaned the two small cuts/piercing that are in a V
pattern with an 90% IPA/Water (50/50) solution. I dont see any way that this is going
to self heal....With a magnifying glass Im seeing White so I'll assume the cut is thru
the Inferno Orange Base. Dont know if a touch up pen can be used here (as I normally would)
as just live with it !!!!!!!!

I did use a Rupes 4" pad and Car Pro Essence on my PC 7424 Orbital to remove the minor scratches
in other misc areas of the PPF.....I'm not disagreeing with 2012 advice that something more aggressive
would also work.

Picture before is older and not showing current issues...........

Last edited by CamarosRus; 05-21-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:15 AM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Used the same DA polisher, pads and cream I used on the paint. Looks like new after. Try a small spot and see what it does...

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra