C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thoughts on "re-assigned" Vin numbers

Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Thoughts on "re-assigned" Vin numbers

Hello,

Any thoughts or comments on purchasing a C1/C2 with a California reassigned vin number? I live in NJ and am finishing up my XKE project and of course am looking for a new nightmare project to get started on.
This is the 2nd or 3rd Corvette that I've seen that had a "re-assigned" vin from Ca as well as one from Pa.
All comments or advice are appreciated.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

reassigned VIN probably 'devalues' the car a bit; otherwise, no problem...
Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,998 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Dan,

The answer strongly depends on what your plans for the car are.

If you plan to sell the car someday, the state assigned VIN will likely hurt the value. Lots of folks are spooked by the lack of an original VIN

On the other hand, if you plan to keep the car forever, the state assigned VIN is less of an issue. It's perfectly legal and you can drive your car with impunity.

One of my cars has a state assigned VIN but it's no big deal to me. I've driven and enjoyed it for 33 years. I'll continue to drive it until they take away my license. By the time I'm gone, no one will care about old Corvettes anyway.

Jim
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Bill, Thanks for the comments.

Jim,
Just about every car I've restored I had planned on keeping...problem is everytime one gets done I end up selling it.
However, as I approach the ripe old age of 60, I think I'd like to start keepng a few of them to use to drive to CVS to pick up prescriptions.

Thx

Dan
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Personally, I'd probably stay away from a restored or stock car, with a State issued VIN. There's nothing really wrong with them legally, but they will have a significant effect on the value, to some buyers. A modified car, or resto-rod, would be much less effected by the state issued VIN.

Most old Corvettes with a replacement VIN, are recovered thefts, but there is always the possibility that it's an insurance company total, that has been rebuilt.

If you are looking at a car with a state VIN, make sure that the price reflects the replacement VIN. I would think that 10-20% less, than a car with an original VIN, would be appropriate.
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Just wondering, has anyone actually tried to title a reassigned Vin in the state of NJ?

Dan
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Most old Corvettes with a replacement VIN, are recovered thefts, but there is always the possibility that it's an insurance company total, that has been rebuilt.
You've made a good point. Even if a replacement VIN plate in and of itself doesn't scare you, it would be prudent to ask why the original is gone. There could well be some answers that would cause you to lose interest in the car.

On my car, it looks like the plate just fell off, as if the factory spot welds were defective. There is no evidence of it having been forcefully removed. Neither is there any evidence my car was ever an insurance total. Not a big deal.....

Jim
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Just wondering, when you go to your local DMV to title the car, do you get a regular looking transferrable title like you would if you had had a standard normal vin?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jaguarmaven
Just wondering, when you go to your local DMV to title the car, do you get a regular looking transferrable title like you would if you had had a standard normal vin?
A VIN is a VIN. DMV doesn't care. The titles for our daily drivers, my car with the replacement VIN, and even our D&D Grand Sport all look the same.

Jim
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarmaven
Originally Posted by jim lockwood
A VIN is a VIN. DMV doesn't care. The titles for our daily drivers, my car with the replacement VIN, and even our D&D Grand Sport all look the same.

Jim
I've never had any problems titling a car with a replacement VIN in NJ. As long as you have a valid title from some state, they should except it. I would think that worse case, they may want a photo, and/or tracing, of the VIN tag that's currently attached to the car.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

No problems with DMV but the value of a re-VIN car was about 25% less when I was looking for a car years ago..
Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

A vehicle may be assigned a State Vin# for many different reasons. None of them good reasons for a buyer.
just slightly better than a salvage title, when it comes to resell. I would pass.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
You've made a good point. Even if a replacement VIN plate in and of itself doesn't scare you, it would be prudent to ask why the original is gone. There could well be some answers that would cause you to lose interest in the car.

On my car, it looks like the plate just fell off, as if the factory spot welds were defective. There is no evidence of it having been forcefully removed. Neither is there any evidence my car was ever an insurance total. Not a big deal.....

Jim
I had a 1981 “convertible conversion” car that had a state issued ID tag. I called their DMV and they explained that a major reconstruction to the car would require it in that state. However, it could have been a theft/total before the conversion. Who knew?

It did not affect my sale because the car was a full custom, but it will affect most sales, moreso as the car is more stock.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Thread is over 6 years old...........
Old 07-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

The only way I would buy a Re assigned VIN car is if it had a GREAT Bullet Proof documented story (and was still somewhat discounted) or was 50% off a OE car. JMHO
Old 07-24-2018, 03:46 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Since it is 6 years old how about one issued by a state but the numbers were the same as the original vin.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on "re-assigned" Vin numbers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on "re-assigned" Vin numbers