C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

bellhousing/engine mounts.....

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default bellhousing/engine mounts.....

after reading teh bellhousing/starter thread, and looking at all the pics, i just remembered a question i had about bellhousing to engine mounting holes, small blocks in general,, but i'm interested mainly in 283's...

i have a 67 block, was out of an automatic car,,, it doesn't have teh top center hole drilled and tapped,,, anyone know when that was changed? was it just for automatic applications, or did chevy stop drilling/tapping all blocks on a certain date?
thanks....
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by knockbill
i have a 67 block, was out of an automatic car,,, it doesn't have teh top center hole drilled and tapped,,, anyone know when that was changed? was it just for automatic applications, or did chevy stop drilling/tapping all blocks on a certain date?
thanks....
I don't recall when/if that changed, but it didn't have anything to do with manual vs. automatic transmissions; the Machining Department at the engine plant had no clue about what transmission any block was going to use - they were all machined the same at any one point in time.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Top center hole

A lot of bell housings also do not have that top center hole drilled. I bought my 621 bell housing brand new in 1989, and the top hole is not drilled for a bolt.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 05-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I don't recall when/if that changed, but it didn't have anything to do with manual vs. automatic transmissions; the Machining Department at the engine plant had no clue about what transmission any block was going to use - they were all machined the same at any one point in time.
thanks for the reply,,,
well, it did end at some point,,, the manual vs. auto, makes sense...

i guess since they stopped drilling/tapping it, its not necessary...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=rongold;1580803930]A lot of bell housings also do not have that top center hole drilled.

i wonder if it happened at the same time???
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnZ
John, if that's true, why does my 64 block not have the left side holes drilled and tapped on this block, while the right side does. I found that out when I was going to bolt my front mount 56 mounts to it.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
John, if that's true, why does my 64 block not have the left side holes drilled and tapped on this block, while the right side does. I found that out when I was going to bolt my front mount 56 mounts to it.

was something attached at the right side, old front mounts, in some 64 small block application?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I don't know - I've only seen a few blocks with the bosses not machined on one side; that spotface/drill/tap station in the transfer line must not have cycled, and they just let it go. The right side holes weren't used for anything after 1957 (until 1969), so it didn't matter.

Last edited by JohnZ; 05-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To bellhousing/engine mounts.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bellhousing/engine mounts.....