Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

PPG Shopline Plus (JBP) vs Martin Senour Crossfire vs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
bryanpl123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PPG Shopline Plus (JBP) vs Martin Senour Crossfire vs...

I'm considering painting my car electron blue WA779J / 21
and the PPG Shop quoted me $548/ga for Deltron $212/ga for Shopline Plus... and the local Napa sells Martin Senour with Crossfire being their top line for $220/gal...

The Deltron seems too expensive for me.. so the question is the Shopline plus worthwhile and how does the topline Martin Senour compare with it.

I've been told that Martin Senour is just rebranded Sherwin Williams

Oh yeah Carquest has Dupont but it is $625/gal... so that is out of the question
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I painted my 77 with PPG Omni which is a "value" line for them. It looks nice but is very soft even though I used a hardener. My advice is not to skimp on topcoats even if you need put off the finish awhile... you should only need to do this once a decade or so... I'll be redoing mine in two years because I used cheap paint.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
bryanpl123
Racer

Thanks for the advice markids, I take it you used SS.. the shopline plus is bc/cc.. I hope that it would be a little better...

I'm using SPI epoxy primer and their univeral clear.. and an undecided basecoat... I know ppgis safe with SPI, but I'm not sure about Martin Senour

Last edited by bryanpl123; 05-10-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Martin Senior, Acme, Sherwin Williams, all the same thing, but that cant be their top line. There comparable top line would be in the same price ballpark as the others top lines.

Its not the place to skimp, you will pay now or later.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

there's a reason it is cheaper. why bother using quality products like spi if your going to use car lot paint over it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

In the late 90's I had my '71 painted with PPG BC/CC. The red was $500+/gallon, the clear wasn't cheap either. After 10 years of Texas sun there was no fading, oxidation, cloudiness or anything. I never polished it, it just didn't need it. A few years ago I was rear ended and redid all the body work and did a complete re-spray. I went with the exact same PPG products, well worth the money.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
In the late 90's I had my '71 painted with PPG BC/CC. The red was $500+/gallon, the clear wasn't cheap either. After 10 years of Texas sun there was no fading, oxidation, cloudiness or anything. I never polished it, it just didn't need it. A few years ago I was rear ended and redid all the body work and did a complete re-spray. I went with the exact same PPG products, well worth the money.
Zwede--

Did you use Deltron BC and Concept CC??

Rogman
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM
bryanpl123
Racer

After reading online a while I guess that Crossfire is actually their value line... I guess the guy at the counter was confused.

If I go with PPG Deltron could I get by with 3 quarts? That would be 1.5gal sprayable...

On another note:
My cousin has a beater/gas saver Geo Metro that he was about to rattle can and I asked if I could spray it for practice. I offered no promises on how it would turn out, just that it would be better than it is now and better than a can will do. So, I just picked up some Dupont Nason to get some trigger time on my spray gun. In a scuff and shoot do you still use primer? The body is factory straight.. no damage since it was created so I just want to make sure the paint sticks good for 4-5years

I know my gun will spray different with different material and all, but I just wanted to give it a go for a confidence booster before I spray my car. I will adjust the gun on some cardboard and practice with the good stuff on my old T-tops before I hit my car with it.

Last edited by bryanpl123; 05-11-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 quarts should be real close. Base only needs to spray to coverage... the clear is the "wear layer". For your bud's car I would wet sand it, then apply a sealer; not primer... this is a ready to spray product intended to divorce old paint from new; you simply wait for it to flash and paint right on top. It might help you to shoot at least the same brand paint as you intend to use on your car... reduction, flash/dry time and spray technique differ not only from line to line but brand to brand as well. There will be a better learning curve (probably) if you shoot a PPG product for practice as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
bryanpl123
Racer

I understand what you are saying Markids... I already have the paint for my cousin's car, I may just get a little more paint when I buy mine and spray a hood (there are plenty at my Grandpa's farm)

So Martin Senour is out of the question now.. Maybe I should get a quart of PPG JBP to practice with and see if it is worth my while.

I've considered numerous color choices and before electron blue I was nearly set on Laser Blue... I was just put off with how on some cars it looked more purple than blue, but others it was down right AMAZING!

Maybe this is a case of the value lines lacking the correct/count of pigmints/solids?

Laser blue is still high on my list and it is quite a bit cheaper than Electron blue (Only ~$100/gal for JBP and ~$320/gal for Deltron) I'm guessing this is due to the lack of metallic in Laser blue...

This is laser blue on a fellow forum members car (iokepakai)
He also noted that the paint job wasn't done very well by the PO and that he could see gray primer in a few spots down low...

Last edited by bryanpl123; 05-11-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by rogman16
Zwede--

Did you use Deltron BC and Concept CC??

Rogman
Yes, Deltron BC, either DBU or DBC, can't remember. Concept 2021 clear.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

yes, deltron bc, either dbu or dbc, can't remember. Concept 2021 clear.
dbc
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, Deltron BC, either DBU or DBC, can't remember. Concept 2021 clear.
Thanks Zwede... I plan to use the same unless I can find a gallon of DCU2002... Both require you to cut/buff fairly quickly after applying...

Rogman

Get notified of new replies

To PPG Shopline Plus (JBP) vs Martin Senour Crossfire vs...

Quick Reply: PPG Shopline Plus (JBP) vs Martin Senour Crossfire vs...