C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifod help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 AM
mrcarguy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust manifod help

Hi Everyone,
A quick question on the 81 original exhaust manifolds, Is there a aftermarket manifold that would bolt up to the factory exhaust pipes without modifying?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

These will do what you want. Not as much power gain as long tube headers. Available in 2" or 2 1/2" flange.
http://www.vetteheaders.com/servlet/...rvette+Headers
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; Your Question, has many answers. How much do you want to spend? What H. P. gain are you looking for? If you have the original Stainless Steel 1981 & 1982 only, G.M. Factory block huger ones now, long tube headers are what is the next change should be. If you have cast iron manifolds & are on a budget, Factory S. S. are the way to gain around 14 H. P. No changes to existing head pipes. Have a great one. Gene
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
mrcarguy
3rd Gear

63mako and doctorgrene,
Thank you for your help. I was working with the original 81 exhaust manifolds. I wanted to remove the emission pipes (which I did) and have the manifold's ceramic coated. Unfortunately, they have some cracks in them. So I tried to have them welded but they are to thin. I would like more power but I am not able to spend much now. I believe the previous owner removed the original carb.air pump and possibly the distributor. I would like to keep the temperature down under the hood, don't have a bunch of money to spend. I was hoping to find a manifold that would just bolt up to the original pipes and head. The one's that 63mako found are very nice but more then I have to spend. Is there anything else out there that would fit my 81 Vette?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
mrcarguy
3rd Gear

63mako and doctorgrene,
Thank you for your help. I was working with the original 81 exhaust manifolds. I wanted to remove the emission pipes (which I did) and have the manifold's ceramic coated. Unfortunately, they have some cracks in them. So I tried to have them welded but they are to thin. I would like more power but I am not able to spend much now. I believe the previous owner removed the original carb.air pump and possibly the distributor. I would like to keep the temperature down under the hood, don't have a bunch of money to spend. I was hoping to find a manifold that would just bolt up to the original pipes and head. The one's that 63mako found are very nice but more then I have to spend. Is there anything else out there that would fit my 81 Vette?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/ i think these pipes are some of the best but they are verry expensive .they will bolt right up.if you want cheaper pipes summit has some long tube ones that are verry resonable.but then you have to get them connected to the rest of the exhaust system.i would stop and think what you want to do with this car .you can do it cheap now and then do it again later or you can do it right this time and be done .i would check e=bay and this forum in the for sale section for factory pipes .
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

here is a cheaper alternative, i used these dormans brand before with good luck.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...make=Chevrolet

Last edited by speedreed8; 05-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speedreed8
here is a cheaper alternative, i used these dormans brand before with good luck.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...make=Chevrolet
could just be the pic that they are using but i think you want a center dump flange .i would look for a old pair of the ram horns .
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

yea, that looks like the wrong ones, this is the one i used, fits either side.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2385&ppt=C0022
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: the stock 81 and 82 stainless manifolds are some of the best to ever come from GM. They amount to factory short tube headers. I agree with Doctorgene: keep them.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speedreed8
yea, that looks like the wrong ones, this is the one i used, fits either side.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2385&ppt=C0022
$112 dollars seems like a bargin.but i would clean them up inside and out then send them out to be ceramic coated.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcarguy
63mako and doctorgrene,
Too thin to weld? I think you probably just need to find a better welder. There are guys out there that can weld an ice cube to a piece of wood. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a little bit.)

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Too thin to weld? I think you probably just need to find a better welder.
I can't think of anywhere on those manifolds that is "thin"...

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust manifod help

Quick Reply: exhaust manifod help