Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Experience with 160 or 180 thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 AM
futuretech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experience with 160 or 180 thermostat?

I make about 300 passes a year on my modded ls6. No heat issues but I do have random knock retard that can't be attributed to gas or advanced spark. Thinking about cooler thermostat. Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Highly recommended (I'd go 160*), along with the appropriate/accompanying adjusted fan settings (done through computer reprogramming via HP Tuners or EFI Live etc.) as well of course.
Simply put, the car should pull less timing at 190 degree coolant temps than it does at 210+.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Highly recommended (I'd go 160*), along with the appropriate/accompanying adjusted fan settings (done through computer reprogramming via HP Tuners or EFI Live etc.) as well of course.
Simply put, the car should pull less timing at 190 degree coolant temps than it does at 210+.
I have seen just the thermostat for sale as well as the whole housing with stat. Is there a difference? I have HP tuners. What temps should be used for the fans?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by futuretech
I have seen just the thermostat for sale as well as the whole housing with stat. Is there a difference?
Yes, I think it depends on what year your car is. I know most (all?) C5s can only use the (more expensive) one with the full housing attached/included. C6s were/are able to go with the cheaper freestanding t-stat.

Originally Posted by futuretech
I have HP tuners. What temps should be used for the fans?
You can maybe check out the HP Tuner forums and/or talk to almost any experienced LSx engine tuner about that part as there are a few different parameters (percentages/fan speeds and at what temps etc.) to set. I don't have my own software so I can't offer much help there but I know it's not difficult to set up at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with 160 or 180 thermostat?

Quick Reply: Experience with 160 or 180 thermostat?