C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

front end shake

Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default front end shake

Hello folks, (87 convertible, stock L98)

I noticed a problem last couple days, it seems when I hit the 50mph mark or in the vicinity of, give or take, feels like the steering wheel shakes, speed up it goes away, slow down it goes away also, I can speed up to 100 mph and it feels fine or below the 45-50mph mark I feel nothing.

Any ideas what might be causing this, I thought wheel balance, but it would normally shake all the way up to high speeds then (usually)

figured if it was any major front end part that it would shake all the time also.

I am open for ideas as to what to look at that could be causing this.

thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like wheel balance to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steven mack
Sounds like wheel balance to me.
Or.....Jack up the front in the middle and shake the wheel to see if ya got any play .
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
KYbaldguysC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello 87 vert here also. just took my wheels in for balance while replacing the brakes and rotors the guy here said two were good and he tweeked two I have the same thing happening to me same speed range and everything you describe we checked bearings when we did brakes so Im clueless going to take it in for front end alignment to the same guy and let him drive it and see what he comes up with going to keep watching this post to see what you find

Don in KY
Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KYbaldguysC4
Hello 87 vert here also. just took my wheels in for balance while replacing the brakes and rotors the guy here said two were good and he tweeked two I have the same thing happening to me same speed range and everything you describe we checked bearings when we did brakes so Im clueless going to take it in for front end alignment to the same guy and let him drive it and see what he comes up with going to keep watching this post to see what you find

Don in KY
Tell the tech to not put the lid down and spin the wheels on the balancer and see if ya got a bent wheel, fronts have more of a tendancy to get damaged from a bad bump or pot hole. It's something to check, ya never know Check the tie-rods as well.

Get notified of new replies

To front end shake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end shake