C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 roof noise

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
randywatkins
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 roof noise

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Here is the story:
bought a used 2006 with painted top, notice that I had a lot of wind noise over the drivers side, mentioned it to a couple of other vette owners and they said there was a recall. took car to local chevy dealer and they said Yep there is a recall on it but my car was not eligible because it was originally sold with a transparent top. they could fix but cost about $1,200.00 bucks. Several people including two service techs at local chevy dealers said that they didn't know of any after market tops and my top was more than likely a GM product and the only way to tell is to take off the headliner and then they would know. I wrote the Chariman of GM a letter outling my problem and said that I would cover the cost of taking off the headliner and replacing and if the top was made by GM would GM honor the recall on it. Got a call back from his Customer Service person who basically said no because my car was not sold with the painted top. I then said well if it is a GM product why not, but again his answer was no. Then I asked him for his answer in writing to my letter and he said that since he talked to me on the phone their (GM) policy was they would not answer my letter with their decieson in writing, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT.
I have filed a complaint with the Nat'l Transporation div, but no word from them yet. Is there anyone out there who knows anyone in the GM/Chevy world that has some common sense who will logically address my problem.

Thanks for listening!!! Randy
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about the issues you're having. Identifying the potentially problem tops vs. the new SMC tops is actually really easy. Just gently peel back one corner of the headliner to look at the top material. If you see a white panel underneath the frame, it's the newer top, and the problem probably isn't a delamination issue. I've checked a few tops, and there's usually one corner you can peel back easily (glue isnt usually uniformly applied). There's really no need to remove the headliner, or pay anyone to do that.

As much as it sucks, I understand why GM is taking the approach they are. If you look on eBay, there are tons of tops available really cheap. These sellers aren't buying the tops new from GM at those prices. Meanwhile, there are sure to be lots of recalled tops that didn't get destroyed when GM paid for the recalls, or that were sold by the owners before the recall. Since your car came with the transparent top, the previous owner bought it somewhere, but who knows where. Without a sales receipt that it was a GM accessory purchase, and since it didn't come with the car, GM really shouldn't pay the $500 to fix that specific top.

How bad is the wind noise? One issue that occurs with the tops is there is a small round foam plug that is glued into a channel of the tops weatherstripping. These pop off all the time. Without it, there will be some wind noise, but it shouldn't be a lot.

Good luck getting this resolved.

BTW - $1200 to fix the top is ridiculous. The unpainted roof panel is about $300 IIRC, and painting shouldn't be much more than $200 or so. The hardware (latches, weatherstripping) is easily transferable. So replacing the top with a new one should be $500-600 max if you need to go that route. There is a member on the forum who is selling a new unpainted top on the for sale section right now. An alternate would be to buy a used painted top, but make sure it's the newer SMC roof, and not a pre-recall top.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 05-01-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
randywatkins
Cruising

Default roof noise

Thanks for the info, much apprecited.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy...

I have to side with GM on this one.

The manufacturer is responsible for their original product. The car originally came with a clear top - the recall is not applicable... Your car was modified (the top was replaced) it's no longer original - again the recall is not applicable...

If the recall was on post production tops, and your top was a post production top, then you would be eligible for the warranty work, but the recall is for the car, not a stand alone top.

Anyway, I understand your frustration, but fair is fair, you bought a car that doesn't qualify for warranty work in this case, time to cough up the cash and fix it out of your own pocket...

Last edited by ohmy; 05-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From your perspective it sucks but I understand GM's position. Without the painted top from the factory your car would not have been subject to the recall in the first place. WAwatchnut gave a great response. First, check out your roof panel and see what you've got. It's possible for the newer SMC roof panel to have a defect but less likely than with the older roof panels (which the recall addressed). I'd also inspect the seals....the weather-stripping around the roof panel carefully. Make sure the wind noise isn't coming from a faulty seal versus a delaminating roof panel. With my old (pre-recall) roof panel I used to get 'stress' noises when traversing uneven terrain at slow speeds....not a rushing wind noise. It was more like a deep, creaking sound. A rushing wind noise to me would indicate a bad seal or perhaps a delaminating roof panel.

If the roof panel is delaminating I'd replace it ASAP. If it were to fly-off and hit someone it's a huge liability risk. Besides buying a new replacement panel (as mentioned) look for private sellers. You could also search Corvette salvage companies for an SMC panel. Good luck!

PS Under the circumstances this isn't likely but if GM won't address the issue under the recall ask if they'd 'fix' it under a customer satisfaction program. My roof panel was replaced twice....first under a customer satisfaction program and then under the recall. Again, I doubt it but it might be worth asking about.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
randywatkins
Cruising

thanks for the replys, don't necessarily agree with comments about GM not being responsible, but they are not budging, have reported it to the Nat'l Highway Transp agency, will let them sort it out.

No further replies are necessary, thanks again.

Randy
Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Dochopr
Intermediate

Didn't want to start a new thread since this is on the same subject. My painted top makes no noise (05), wind or stress, pulled back coner of liner ( thank you WAwatchnut) and it has the white panel. However my clear top has the stress noises on uneven terrain at slow speeds that Wanye O had mentioned. Is this normal for the clear top? No wind noise on either one. Also on the recall was the whole top replaced or was foam added? Bought my car used with 13K, and the top looks a little duller than the rest of the car and thought maybe it had been repainted.

Last edited by Dochopr; 05-06-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spellen
Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by randywatkins
thanks for the replys, don't necessarily agree with comments about GM not being responsible
Without proof of purchase, you have no claim man. And since car wasn't built with a painted roof, it doesn't even qualify for the recall. If you were GM's person in charge of making that decision, would you approve it? Sorry it's going to hit you in the pocket, but you can't expect somebody/someone to always be responsible for what happens to you. That's life. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

Originally Posted by randywatkins
Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Here is the story:
bought a used 2006 with painted top, notice that I had a lot of wind noise over the drivers side, mentioned it to a couple of other vette owners and they said there was a recall. took car to local chevy dealer and they said Yep there is a recall on it but my car was not eligible because it was originally sold with a transparent top. they could fix but cost about $1,200.00 bucks. Several people including two service techs at local chevy dealers said that they didn't know of any after market tops and my top was more than likely a GM product and the only way to tell is to take off the headliner and then they would know. I wrote the Chariman of GM a letter outling my problem and said that I would cover the cost of taking off the headliner and replacing and if the top was made by GM would GM honor the recall on it. Got a call back from his Customer Service person who basically said no because my car was not sold with the painted top. I then said well if it is a GM product why not, but again his answer was no. Then I asked him for his answer in writing to my letter and he said that since he talked to me on the phone their (GM) policy was they would not answer my letter with their decieson in writing, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT.
I have filed a complaint with the Nat'l Transporation div, but no word from them yet. Is there anyone out there who knows anyone in the GM/Chevy world that has some common sense who will logically address my problem.

Thanks for listening!!! Randy
You asked for a logical address to the problem. Most posters have; even if you disagree they still did as asked a "logical" answer always won't be what you agree with. Otherwise the request should be "will those who agree with me ..." etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

I read you said no more reason for reply; But I couldn't help pointing this out.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ulllovethecarpayment
I read you said no more reason for reply; But I couldn't help pointing this out.
No apology needed. Until the OP asks the Mod to close this, it's an active thread. Now back on topic.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM
randywatkins
Cruising

Default roof noise

once again thanks for all the replies, i'll let the natl't trans dept sort it out with GM.

Close the thread
Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochopr
Didn't want to start a new thread since this is on the same subject. My painted top makes no noise (05), wind or stress, pulled back coner of liner ( thank you WAwatchnut) and it has the white panel. However my clear top has the stress noises on uneven terrain at slow speeds that Wanye O had mentioned. Is this normal for the clear top? No wind noise on either one. Also on the recall was the whole top replaced or was foam added? Bought my car used with 13K, and the top looks a little duller than the rest of the car and thought maybe it had been repainted.
Glad I could help!

The creaking/popping noises are the result of materials binding and then releasing quickly. This could be the weather-stripping, latch rollers, guide pins, etc. Theres a big thread in the FAQs that addresses the many different possible cures. It's pretty normal. My clear top does it a lot more than my painted top also.

Initially, GM tried re-foaming/gluing the painted tops. If that didn't work, they replaced the top completely. But they apparently had enough issues that they had to issue the recall. I believe when the recall is done, they replace the top.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 roof noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 roof noise