C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)

I have a squeak noise coming from the engine that is consistent with the engine RPMs on my 02 z06. Car has 86,000 miles and runs great. I have tried poking my head around to find the squeaky pulley, it sounds like a bearing is starting to go but I cant figure out where the noise is originating from. It sounds slightly louder on the passenger side of the engine but its hard to tell.
I've been searching on here for a while and can't come up with anything that gives me a place to start other than replacing the belt, but it really does not sound like belt squeal to me it sounds like metal / bearing squeak. I've had pulleys go on other cars and it sounds just like that.
I tried to spray some wd-40 into the bearing on a few pulleys like the tensioner and a couple within arms reach of there, but couldnt safely spray the rest without getting oil on the belt too. The squeak is still the same so it does not seem to be the pulleys I sprayed unless it just wasn't getting into the bearings.

I also read about the harmonic balancer / crank pulley issue for the 05 cars, and I noticed my harmonic balancer does have a very slight wobble to it. Is this something to be concerned about? Does that recall apply to c5 cars as well? I cant find the actual recall posting on here.

So what do you guys think? How can I track down the squeaker? Its embarassing when I pull up, the car looks so nice and sounds good other than the little birdy under the hood which somehow is still heard over the engine itself..
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Could be the idler pulley or tension pulley on the main belt system, but if you think it is more on the passenger side I would look at the idler and tensioner on the AC system which has a separate belt.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
I have a squeak noise coming from the engine that is consistent with the engine RPMs on my 02 z06. Car has 86,000 miles and runs great. I have tried poking my head around to find the squeaky pulley, it sounds like a bearing is starting to go but I cant figure out where the noise is originating from. It sounds slightly louder on the passenger side of the engine but its hard to tell.
I've been searching on here for a while and can't come up with anything that gives me a place to start other than replacing the belt, but it really does not sound like belt squeal to me it sounds like metal / bearing squeak. I've had pulleys go on other cars and it sounds just like that.
I tried to spray some wd-40 into the bearing on a few pulleys like the tensioner and a couple within arms reach of there, but couldnt safely spray the rest without getting oil on the belt too. The squeak is still the same so it does not seem to be the pulleys I sprayed unless it just wasn't getting into the bearings.

I also read about the harmonic balancer / crank pulley issue for the 05 cars, and I noticed my harmonic balancer does have a very slight wobble to it. Is this something to be concerned about? Does that recall apply to c5 cars as well? I cant find the actual recall posting on here.

So what do you guys think? How can I track down the squeaker? Its embarassing when I pull up, the car looks so nice and sounds good other than the little birdy under the hood which somehow is still heard over the engine itself..
First find out which belt system is making the noise. Pull the serpentine belt and start the car. Still squeaking? Then it's coming from the ac belt system, only 3 pulleys there, 2 are easily replaced. If not squeaking then it is coming from up top somewhere and idler pulley and tensioner are the top suspects.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
First find out which belt system is making the noise. Pull the serpentine belt and start the car. Still squeaking? Then it's coming from the ac belt system, only 3 pulleys there, 2 are easily replaced. If not squeaking then it is coming from up top somewhere and idler pulley and tensioner are the top suspects.
BigGun, Good advise there.

Keep an eye on that harmonic pulley, being that it's starting to wobble a bit.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

And sometimes a mechanic's stethescope comes in handy for pinpointing out-of-the ordinary noises.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
BigGun, Good advise there.

Keep an eye on that harmonic pulley, being that it's starting to wobble a bit.

Good luck.
Thanks guys! Can you expand on the wobbling harmonic balancer / pulley problem? Its been this way since I got the car and I just shrugged it off as 'eh its a Chevy' Is this something I should be concerned about? What kind of problems could develop ?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
RogerZ06
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Spray little bit wd40 on the belts. How I found squeaky ac belt.

Get notified of new replies

To Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)