C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing new viton valve seal?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
mxdave91
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installing new viton valve seal?

I know to oil the area of the valve seal which the valve goes through but is it also a good idea to put oil on the inside of the valve seal where it slides over the guide? I didn't know if driving a seal over the guide dry would possibly tear it up. Also, I didn't want to oil it and cause it to slip off easier either?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wont just slip off once you get it seated correctly. I usually dip my finger into some clean oil and shove my finger into the seal and work the oil around a bit.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
mxdave91
Instructor

Ok guys thanks. I was just worried that putting oil between the seal and guide would cause the seal to slip off the guide easy. Are these blue viton seals prone to sliding up the valve? I found two so far that slipped off the guide and up the valve stem. Maybe whoever did the cam didn't have them seated correctly.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

I take it you have to use these valve guide seals because you have double valve springs? One reason I like the one piece OEM seals is because they can't ever slide up on the guide.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
mxdave91
Instructor

I have dual springs. what causes them to slip off and slide up the valve? I don't wan't to do this job every 5,000 miles. what is everybody else with dual springs doing?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I just oiled the valve stem and didn't put any oil on the head where the seal slids over.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
mxdave91
Instructor

ok guys, every single valve seal had slid off the seat and up the valve stem. This is the old style design Seal/seat seperate because of my dual springs. I bought the blue valve seals from texas speed to replace them with but the old ones that slid up the valve appear to be the same seals!!! Are these seals really that much trouble or did someone possibly not install them correctly? Texas speed is a very reputable company and If there was a problem with these seals I can't imagine they would even handle them. One of the old seals was even slid up the valve stem and smushed to about half of it's original hight!!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know anything about the blue seals but I didn't bother using the ones that came with my dual springs. I had never seen them before and chriswtx talked me into buying the brown exhaust seals instead. I called patriot performance and had them sent me s full set of the brown seals. I've cammed the 3 c5s I've owned and I've never had a problem with those coming off.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
McAllister513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blue seals are just seals that machine shops and businesses buy in bulk. That is why when you order springs you don't recieve an intake & exhaust seal.

I am having the same problem as you at the moment. Mine keep sliding up. The first set were the blue seals and now I have the OEM Fel Pro seals from advance and 2 of my exhaust seals have slid up. So I need to know what to do also.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
mxdave91
Instructor

Originally Posted by McAllister513
The blue seals are just seals that machine shops and businesses buy in bulk. That is why when you order springs you don't recieve an intake & exhaust seal.

I am having the same problem as you at the moment. Mine keep sliding up. The first set were the blue seals and now I have the OEM Fel Pro seals from advance and 2 of my exhaust seals have slid up. So I need to know what to do also.

All you guys running dual springs with the seal/seat seperate, Whats the trick to getting valve seals that stay put. Why are so many reputable shops selling these blue valve seals if they don't work. I don't mind working on my own stuff but i'm not tearing the engine down every 1,000 miles to replace valve seals. Kinda takes the fun out of owning a vette
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Nver2loud
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with the Viton seals I ordered as OE replacements for my 853's. Now, I dont have double springs, I just have single PAC 1218s, but I ended up getting Fel-Pros. The Viton's would fall off certain runners, I beleive it was the intakes. I used a micrometer and measured and they were far off. Just food for thought to maybe try a different brand if the Duals allow you to do that.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM
mxdave91
Instructor

Originally Posted by VetteNoob
I don't know anything about the blue seals but I didn't bother using the ones that came with my dual springs. I had never seen them before and chriswtx talked me into buying the brown exhaust seals instead. I called patriot performance and had them sent me s full set of the brown seals. I've cammed the 3 c5s I've owned and I've never had a problem with those coming off.
This will be my first time installing valve seals and since I'm **** about things, I'm just gonna take my time and trust that I do the job right. If they come off then I'll order those brown ones from patriot.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I prefer the GM seals for this reason. I have had too many aftermarket seals come off the guides. It was particularly painful on my daughter's Nissan with overhead cam

I ran duals on my 241 heads and used the GM seals without any issues at all. The service manual also calls out a height measurement to ensure they are correctly seated once you install them.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I ran duals on my 241 heads and used the GM seals without any issues at all. The service manual also calls out a height measurement to ensure they are correctly seated once you install them.
You must have used the earlier (pre-2002) OEM seals that are the 2-piece design and only used the guide seal piece (?). Are the old 2-piece seals even still available from GM?

Get notified of new replies

To installing new viton valve seal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing new viton valve seal?