Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Oxyz 11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber hood

Well it finally came in, the carbon creations zr edition 2 hood in carbon fiber. fitment was okay couldve been better, but its aftermarket so just as I expected it. Quality is okay, needs a little tlc on the under side the top and clear was great. A little modification and good to go.

new hood for the Z

photos are in between weather. Now time to clean it up.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
BillB3672
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The big question

Now the big question! What is the price for something like this ??
If is big bucks I would expect perfection in the product and not need to mod it to fit!
Looks Great !!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Cool hood.

Are the vents functional?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see what you mean by fitment - looks like a small gap at the front driver's side where it meets the front bumper and more noticeably along the sides near the windshield (or it could just be the photo angle ).

Definitely an eye-catching design though! that's the nice thing about silver, carbon gray, black: you guys get to have so much fun with all that carbon fiber stuff.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
dcsteg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your happy that's all that matters.

To much going on for me with the 7 vents and the lack of proper orientation of hood to fender gap at left rear of the hood..

I would have to paint it also for better flow as opposed to the look of having something just stuck on there that didn't belong.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Oxyz 11
Advanced

Price wasnt bad only 1K to door so I didnt expect the best perfection when it came in. ive spent close to the same on a fiberglass hood for a c5 and fitment was worse. And the different look was what I was going for, Havent seen one with this hood yet so I wanted to give it a chance.

Yes the vents are funtional. I will be doing something with the looks of those hopefully this coming weekend.

The gap at the front was fixed after the photo was taken. Just had to bring it down a hair to line it up. felt like I spent all day aligning the hood and doing a little custom fabrication. but it was only about an hour and a half all together.

I will agree there is a lot going on with the 7 vents and the custom alignment at the top edge of the fender by the windshield. But for me I like the 7 working vents I know its not for everyone, but thats what makes it fun. right lol and as far as the raw carbon showing I have looked at pictures of partial painted carbon fiber hoods and I am still on the fence. This car does have the Carbon and Z07 Package. So I am still debating on oredering in all the raw carbon. This is the only thing Ive done so far on this car. So still plenty to do later.

I appreciate the comments And I am happy with it so far A few tweaks and she will be close to perfect.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE carbon fiber as much as the next guy, but that is a bit much for me... As long as you enjoy it then that's all that matters!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
GeorgeSSS
Racer

Very nasty looking. Like a tatoo on a Navy Seal. It says, "Bring it."
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Oxyz 11
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeorgeSSS
Very nasty looking. Like a tatoo on a Navy Seal. It says, "Bring it."
It certainly does have that type of appeal
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
tx_zo6
Burning Brakes

That's a serious hood. I'm a fan of the stock look but that is definitely eye-catching.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
SHovV
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i think that hoods look ricer. but who cares what i think, as long as you're happy with it, its all that matters
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Default nice hood.......

pics from my phone ,i know the quality sucks ......had that hood done about 2 years ago , still get compliments from people .
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
TAstinGray
1st Gear

From a styling perpective I agree with many comments previously listed. Alot going on and too many vents for me. The lines of the car do not match what the hood is doing. i give credit for the attempt. It just does not move me.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 AM
SSEVegeta
Intermediate

Default Painted

Ive got a great story for you regarding this hood. I got mine from Carbon Creations and had it installed and painted by Austin Corvette here in Austin Texas.
So after getting it painted and installed to match my 2008 Atomic Orange Z06 I found out from Austin Corvette that it was one of the most difficult hoods they have ever installed, or so they said. Two months later I notice some paint problems where the paint seemed to be "bubbling" for lack of better term. When you run your hand over it you feel the bubble. After taking it back to Austin Corvette they keep swearing up and down that the "bubbling" is due to the quality of the hood and the fact that the hood is after market "blah blah blah".

Long story short. Has anyone tried to paint this hood? Has anyone tried to fit this hood? Apparently fitting it is a complete PITA and from what I can tell painting it will actually caus major imperfections in the hood to come out to such an extent that you may be embarrassed by it. I would like to hear someone else's story if someone out there has attempted this too.

Pictures attached of right after it was installed.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

I had my hood painted , no problem with the paint .... Fitting the hood was a pain in the *** , other than that the hood is bad azz.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SSEVegeta
Ive got a great story for you regarding this hood. I got mine from Carbon Creations and had it installed and painted by Austin Corvette here in Austin Texas.
So after getting it painted and installed to match my 2008 Atomic Orange Z06 I found out from Austin Corvette that it was one of the most difficult hoods they have ever installed, or so they said. Two months later I notice some paint problems where the paint seemed to be "bubbling" for lack of better term. When you run your hand over it you feel the bubble. After taking it back to Austin Corvette they keep swearing up and down that the "bubbling" is due to the quality of the hood and the fact that the hood is after market "blah blah blah".

Long story short. Has anyone tried to paint this hood? Has anyone tried to fit this hood? Apparently fitting it is a complete PITA and from what I can tell painting it will actually caus major imperfections in the hood to come out to such an extent that you may be embarrassed by it. I would like to hear someone else's story if someone out there has attempted this too.

Pictures attached of right after it was installed.

Took my old c6 to Austin corvette and won't go back. Paint work wasn't great and got the car back with some nasty swirls. I would ask Berli's to paint it in pflugerville.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
SSEVegeta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Took my old c6 to Austin corvette and won't go back. Paint work wasn't great and got the car back with some nasty swirls. I would ask Berli's to paint it in pflugerville.
Thanks for the rec. Actually I think I am going to go there soon (if they are open over the weekend maybe tomorrow) and have them take a look-see at the hood I have and get their opinion as to if they think it is the paint job or if it is the hood.
I'll post my findings.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon fiber hood

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good quality CF hood is expensive! $3G plus paint here!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
SSEVegeta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
A good quality CF hood is expensive! $3G plus paint here!!!!!
I was stupid when I bought this. At the time I did not know prices or anything like that regarding CF. I absolutely do not want to put some cheap POS on my Z06 so I might try and sell this "as is - needs repaint" and buy a big boy CF hood.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Carbon fiber hood