C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ??

In looking over how the coil is connected to each spark plug and I could use some guidance in how to remove the spark plug boot & metal can from the plug. Does the metal can come off first and then the rubber connector or do the come off together? Is there a special tool someone could recommend that will make removal of the metal can heat insulator and rubber boot easier then just yanking on everything --- there must be
Does the tool grab the metal can --- or go in between the metal can and rubber or just grab the rubber part. Here is what I am looking at

Thanks for your guidance here.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Many different techniques, I used channel locks, DO NOT DESTROY THE CANS, you'll need them for the new wires.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The only tools you need are your fingers, grab the boot at the top and twist it back and forth until its free.
Then pull it off the plug that's what I do, yes I know it's a pain in the a$$ but it's better then $50.00 for new wires every time you pull the plugs for some reason.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
The only tools you need are your fingers, grab the boot at the top and twist it back and forth until its free.
Then pull it off the plug that's what I do, yes I know it's a pain in the a$$ but it's better then $50.00 for new wires every time you pull the plugs for some reason.
I put a silicon dielectric on my boots when I put them on so they come off easy when I need them to.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull the plug off the coil pack first, then grab the metal cover and spin the boot a 1/2 turn or so to break it loose. Then grab and wiggle it loose.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Pull the plug off the coil pack first, then grab the metal cover and spin the boot a 1/2 turn or so to break it loose. Then grab and wiggle it loose.
If the wires have been on a long time with no dielectric, you WILL destroy one or more wires getting them off, have a new set ready.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
cookie7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
If the wires have been on a long time with no dielectric, you WILL destroy one or more wires getting them off, have a new set ready.
YESSiR been there done that
Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

Old 04-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or just put in some new wires. MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires are on sale once in awhile. That way you can just rip those old ones out and feel good you have new wires and plugs. That's what I did and it does start and idle better. I did try to save the old ones but just too much effort. I ruined a few anyway.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by happiedazs
Does the metal can come off first and then the rubber connector or do the come off together?
The metal heat shields and plug boots should both come off the spark plug together, as a single unit.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I would suggest wearing mechanics gloves. they have some nice grip to them and will protect your kuckles when it pops loose.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is true. I just done mine a couple weeks ago and grabbing on to the heat shield with a small needle nose vise grip and pulled them off. Worked well for me me and did almost no damage to it.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ??

Quick Reply: What is the best way to remove spark plug boots ??